Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Happens all the time that the best performed players on a team aren’t the ones to get drafted. It isn’t necessarily nepotism. That post is pretty simplistic.

However, if the argument is that there is a bias towards certain factors when drafting, then of course that’s the case. Humans are involved.

Happens all the time that the best performed players on a team aren’t the ones to get drafted. It isn’t necessarily nepotism. That post is pretty simplistic.

However, if the argument is that there is a bias towards certain factors when drafting, then of course that’s the case. Humans are involved.
The discussion was about the make up of the WA U16 & U18 Academies. It’s been a long running theme in that thread about certain selection biases, etc, from a number of posters who watch junior WA football.

I just thought it interesting he mentioned Starcevich as an anecdotal example.

Players getting drafted despite inferior stats????? It's almost like fantasy points doesn't decide football games.

Plenty of underage kids look great against other underage kids but don’t get drafted, recruiters are obviously going to take those who’s skills they believe will hold up against men. Don’t know much about Starc as an underage player but they obviously thought he had the physical development left in him to make the step up to the AFL.

Does the club still send these out? This one is from 2001 but finding from 00-04 in dads old stuff.

View attachment 768076
Not anymore as they moved to solely digital communication around mid/late 00s maybe? I know people were complaining about that decision every AGM for many years.

Plenty of underage kids look great against other underage kids but don’t get drafted, recruiters are obviously going to take those who’s skills they believe will hold up against men. Don’t know much about Starc as an underage player but they obviously thought he had the physical development left in him to make the step up to the AFL.
Remember seeing it at my school and a few others we played against. Lot of guys who were the "best performed" were on the smaller side and were seen as never going to make it. They never really had any standout features either. Then there were a few others who werent the best but you could see a little something more was to come. They were still growing or had some skill or something to catch the eye. They were the ones who went on to play AFL

Remember seeing it at my school and a few others we played against. Lot of guys who were the "best performed" were on the smaller side and were seen as never going to make it. They never really had any standout features either. Then there were a few others who werent the best but you could see a little something more was to come. They were still growing or had some skill or something to catch the eye. They were the ones who went on to play AFL
At state level the selection criteria is:

1) must be able to win your own ball
2) be fast
3) if not fast, have huge endurance
4) be coach able, listen
5) X Factor, including high skill level or unique physical attributes IE height, strength.

I am paraphrasing a fair bit but that is the general gist. I suspect recruiters are looking for the same thing.

McCluggage is ahead of Nigel Lappin in the Instagram "best ever Lions midfielder" competition, now I am as big on McCluggage as anyone but seriously, Lappin is an all time great, 3 time premiership legend who played a Grand Final with a punctured lung!

Great read
"
Nigel Lappin fitness test ‘most brutal thing I’ve ever seen’ — Lions champ Jonathan Brown"​

Two more years and McCluggage probably will be because of his better inside game. Right now, Lappin still has a lot more runs on the board. OTOH if you're comparing them at the same point in their career I'd definitely take McCluggage.

Two more years and McCluggage probably will be because of his better inside game. Right now, Lappin still has a lot more runs on the board. OTOH if you're comparing them at the same point in their career I'd definitely take McCluggage.
I don't think it's that cut & dry either. Lappin's 3rd year was his big break out year too, he became the first Brissy based player to be selected for a Vic SoO side, polled double digit Brownlow votes that year too IIRC and was always among the BoG in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's that cut & dry either. Lappin's 3rd year was his big break out year too, he became the first Brissy based player to be selected for a Vic SoO side, polled double digit Brownlow votes that year too IIRC and was always among the BoG in the finals.
Have always felt that many supporters did not fully appreciate just how good Lappin was. He was a an absolute gun who went quietly about his business.

Was listening to Macquarie sports radio on the weekend. They interviewed Bill Lawry and asked him who he followed in the AFL.

He said he was a massive Fitzroy fan and since they left the comp he is more of a passive follower of the AFL. He also said he was very very happy for the Fitzroy fans to see the Lions 3 peat and thought that team was one of the best teams to watch ever. He was dirty that we lost to Port in 04 and still can't believe we lost to them.

He didn't say he was a Brisbane fan. But he did say that when he looks up the AFL scores, Brisbane is the first team to looks for how they went.

I remember there being a bit of conjecture about what AFL team he followed so I thought it was worth sharing.

So I'd say he is Fitzroy man through and through and probably never followed AFL as closely after they left the comp, but if he had to nominate one team it's still the Brisbane Lions.

Watching 2002 Grand Final replay on Fox Footy and they don't show a good angle of Anthony Rocca's kick at the start of the last quarter, he seemed adamant it was a goal though, would have put them in front. Did a better angle shot ever come out?

Fraser put them ahead about a minute later though.

12 minutes left, behind in the last, starting to rain, pretty nerve racking at the time.

Lynch got a pretty lucky free kick to put us in front not long after a stone cold one on Tarrant not paid. The chances they did have in the last they didn't kick well. Always laugh seeing Neon Leon and his 0 possessions.

Tough gig for Brad SCott tagging an on fire Buckley at his peak on that day, bet they've had a few interesting convos about it since.

Mal Michael so good in the in big contests, though Rocca had 4 goals.

Ashcroft's contribution underrated, so reliable under pressure (not fair he's getting flogged in the IG poll).

Robert Walls an underrated commentator.

Last edited:
Watching 2002 Grand Final replay on Fox Footy and they don't show a good angle of Anthony Rocca's kick at the start of the last quarter, he seemed adamant it was a goal though, would have put them in front. Did a better angle shot ever come out?

Fraser put them ahead about a minute later though.

12 minutes left, behind in the last, starting to rain, pretty nerve racking at the time.

Lynch got a pretty lucky free kick to put us in front not long after a stone cold one on Tarrant not paid. The chances they did have in the last they didn't kick well. Always laugh seeing Neon Leon and his 0 possessions.

Tough gig for Brad SCott tagging an on fire Buckley at his peak on that day, bet they've had a few interesting convos about it since.

Mal Michael so good in the in big contests, though Rocca had 4 goals.

Ashcroft's contribution underrated, so reliable under pressure (not fair he's getting flogged in the IG poll).

Robert Walls an underrated commentator.

I've watched it a few times and always felt that free to lynchy was definitely there, despite the commentators reckoning it was a stone cold nothing.

How good was vossy? The man was such an impact player, and despite Buckley having more touches I don't know how anyone could fail to rate vossy as head and shoulders above the rest on ground

I've watched it a few times and always felt that free to lynchy was definitely there, despite the commentators reckoning it was a stone cold nothing.

How good was vossy? The man was such an impact player, and despite Buckley having more touches I don't know how anyone could fail to rate vossy as head and shoulders above the rest on ground
I was sitting directly in line with that kick in the Ponsford Stand. It went straight over the post then swung a bit into the goal after passing the post. It was the correct call but I can see why it would have looked like a goal to Rocca.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like auto renewals for next years membership are surprisingly low, just under 3,500 so far. How does that compare to less successful years? Tbh I was expecting it to be much higher after last season even at this stage

Looks like auto renewals for next years membership are surprisingly low, just under 3,500 so far. How does that compare to less successful years? Tbh I was expecting it to be much higher after last season even at this stage
Don’t all auto renewals happen at the same time?
Once you have hooked up to it from the previous year, it just auto renews. I would think all at the same time.
So maybe the auto renewals haven’t kicked in yet?
And the 3500 is just new signings or existing members re-signing up, who dont have auto renewal.
The auto renewals are people who pay monthly, yes?

That 3500 is the early birds. Auto renewal kicks in 2nd of December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back