Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see a freak. I see a man thinking faster than everyone else. Not so sure he is moving faster though :think:

Jarman 'The Barman' was one of my all time favourites to watch out at VFL park when I was a little one. I was gutted when he left.

I see a freak. I see a man thinking faster than everyone else. Not so sure he is moving faster though :think:

Oh my god. Seeing those highlights again reminds me the extraordinary level of skill that Jarman possessed.
I don't think there is any current day player anywhere near his skill level with ball in hand. Those baulks and jinks, balance on both sides of teh body, followed by a left or right foot pass straight down the throat of a leading forward or through the goals. The guy was a freak.

Dont know how he would have gone with the two way running the game requires today, but on a pure skill, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield etc have nothing on him in comparison.

Oh my god. Seeing those highlights again reminds me the extraordinary level of skill that Jarman possessed.
I don't think there is any current day player anywhere near his skill level with ball in hand. Those baulks and jinks, balance on both sides of teh body, followed by a left or right foot pass straight down the throat of a leading forward or through the goals. The guy was a freak.

Dont know how he would have gone with the two way running the game requires today, but on a pure skill, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield etc have nothing on him in comparison.

The thing that amazed me even more was his strength. No one can tackle him - he is simply too strong through the hips. Also how cleanly he picks up the ball - it is simply sublime.

Plenty of star midfielders in today’s game who only run one way.

And if he didn’t make it as a mid he would put Greene/De Goey/Martin/who ever to shame as a forward

The thing that amazed me even more was his strength. No one can tackle him - he is simply too strong through the hips. Also how cleanly he picks up the ball - it is simply sublime.

Plenty of star midfielders in today’s game who only run one way.

And if he didn’t make it as a mid he would put Greene/De Goey/Martin/who ever to shame as a forward
Was an absolute freak. Pure footballer. Skill level off the charts.

Loved watching that.

Another thing that struck me about those highlights is how much "run and carry" he provided. He always took an extra 20 meters (with a bounce) before he disposed of the footy. Made every possession so damaging. Obviously the delivery and finish is the highlight, but because he took so much ground his possessions were gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you'll also notice the high amount of blocks and shepherds his teammates gave him and not to mention Dunstalls unbelievable leading and diving at full pace! Not to take anything away from his brilliance though.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

dunstall and jars were my fav players. Watching that made me realise how much the game has changed, but despite this, jars would have still dominated.

Was one if the more prolific tacklers for the era

dunstall and jars were my fav players. Watching that made me realise how much the game has changed, but despite this, jars would have still dominated.

Waverley, ball kicked somewhere near jars in what is now the ‘fat side’, dunstall with one opponent near goals

You were practically marking down the goal already

Jarman 'The Barman' was one of my all time favourites to watch out at VFL park when I was a little one. I was gutted when he left.

I was as well. I always thought that Jars left to play with his
brother at Adelaide, but it seems that he didn't want to leave
Hawthorn at all. His wife wanted to go home to be with her family
and Jars didn't really have a choice in the matter.

Marital harmony trumps the husband's footy needs.
A true football tragedy for us Hawks.

Those 3 scumbags that bashed the Hawthorn supporters after the Hawks v Tigers game have been jailed, despite a large team of legal representation. Justice prevails.

After reading that tripe, it just goes to show at how corrupt and messed up the legal system is.

In that article the reporter is almost pleading that the perps be the victims. The fact that 2 of them are the sons of a QC, enables them to get more leniency with the presiding judge, than sons of a factory worker would. 2-4 months sentencing, is a pathetic joke. This is not teaching people, that stomping on a persons head, while threatening to kill them is not acceptable behaviour. This is a lesson that you can do what you want, as long as your connected to high society, fake remorse play the victim and basically get off.

call me old fashioned, but I believe that people need to be accountable for their actions. The end result of this fails in achieving that.

end rant

Best highlights package I have seen - bloke was insanely skilled and extremely underrated
I don't think anyone underrated him at the time. Over time I feel that some of the luster and reverence was lost when he went home, at the time loyalty was probably a bigger thing than what it is now, if he finished his time with us he would have been an all time great of the club. We were blessed to be witness week in week out to some of the stuff he could do.
Went on to win Adelaide a GF off his own boot.

Last edited:
Best kick to have played the game.

I have followed the game since the mid-60s and would have to say I've never seen a more all-round skilled player than Jarman. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen anyone who came close. He was a product of an era when ball skills were the mark of a player. The way the game was played gave rise to the brilliant skills of Jarman. The adage was "If you can't kick, you can't play football". Such a pity we don't subscribe to that theory today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back