Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a fuller and franker meeting than I expected. That's why I didn't post anything last night. I wanted to think about it.

I expected a lot more non on-field/footy department issues to be discussed because I thought we would get bogged down with stuff that cant be changed. But having KT there, probably changed the whole agenda.

At times, it would have been uncomfortable listening for our staff members.

KT, Richo and Steve Shirley turned up plus a member of the footy club who I think works in physcology or maybe marketing who was taking a lot of notes, and helped facilitate the event, and got us back on track, by asking us all to explain certain words, or phrases we used and what we meant by them. Richo was writing key words, phrases up on the board and over the 2 hours he went back to some of them and linked them up with the current discussion. Chris Davies sat in for 15-20 minutes as he had a prior engagement.

I have no doubt a report will get written about the meeting and the issues raised. Who sees it and how much change it drives, is to be determined I guess.

We were told a few things in private re footy issues and asked to keep them within the room, so I will.

Respectful discussions about what Koch and Ken say and do, that we don't like, was put forward. None of the 3 guys who work for the club had any doubt about what we felt, but there wasn't any ranting.

The club is aware of its list issues, as we discussed the hole in that 24-27 year group. The club is concentrating on developing the guys 23 or less to fill that hole over the next couple of years.

I can tell the club is grappling with high expectations. It loves the fact we have them, but when we don't deliver and the industry is so different to those of us who saw all the Magpies success, (and all attendees saw plenty of that), how do they keep the message going that we are pushing hard to achieve our goals, but not divulge the club's IP and thinking that would hurt it.

EternalOptimist has covered the main issues we discussed adequately so I wont repeat them.

There was no silver bullet last night!

Thanks to FishingRick04 for organising this, and for club officials, KT, Richo, Steve Shirley and CD, and I enjoyed the discussions with those who made it, some I have known for a while, some who I met for the first time.

Did you come out of it thinking we are targeting 2025 still?

I understand why questions about kern's situation couldn't really be addressed, but I am glad that Koch's `little old blue collar club from Alberton ' Bull Sh*t got an airing.

Hopefully he will get the message this time to keep his stupid opinions to himself, but I won't be holding my breath because I can't recall the club having a sillier, or less knowledgeable president from a football perspective in my 60 plus years of being a Port supporter, including 40 odd of being a member.

I can tell the club is grappling with high expectations. It loves the fact we have them, but when we don't deliver and the industry is so different to those of us who saw all the Magpies success, (and all attendees saw plenty of that), how do they keep the message going that we are pushing hard to achieve our goals, but not divulge the club's IP and thinking that would hurt it.

It's not that hard. We want to win the premiership and that's what we aim to do every year and the aim is to win as much as possible at everything. It's as if they think as fans we are stupid that after 20 years we don't understand that we won't win an AFL flag every year, everyone understands this and that's not the point, we still want to aim and have the expectation that we will be in the mix to win the premiership. For sure there'll be years where we have to reload but how is this even an issue to deal with ffs.

Did you come out of it thinking we are targeting 2025 still?
Sort of.

We will be pushing for before that, but my scepticism suggests we need a few years of the the under 23's to develop and take over the output from the 9 or 10 older players who wont be there after 2021 season is finished.

If we can play an EF in 2020, then a SF in 2021, then 2023 should be the target. If we don't, then 2025 becomes more realistic.

It's by no means the complete answer......... but.......

....... something that would go a long way to resolving this issue would be not rewarding a failing coach with a ridiculously long term contract, and then not sticking by him and giving him a SECOND chance to develop the list he wants because he failed the first.

The Crows sacked their coach after 2 years of failure, 2 years!!! A club bathed in the acceptance and celebration of mediocrity.

Yet here we are after 5 years of failure and we're backing Ken's 2nd crack in. A coach that is clearly leading a team of comfortable individuals that need a shake up, amongst years of stunted development of those players, with failing gameplans and systems that have repeatedly been one-dimensional.

In reality it is beyond belief that Ken is still here. That North Melbourne game should've been the final straw.

If they want us to believe they are ruthless and pushing hard to achieve our goals, we shouldn't be protecting the leader of our mediocrity. A coach that has already failed once and this year despite incredible upswings in performance and some statistical dominance, still couldn't get results. The man who has failed to take us to the top 4 in his 7 seasons, and has only won 3 finals even though the club has at times publicly declared it has believed we have a premiership winning list.

Sack Ken! Give us a reason to believe again! Spark some hope. Shake the playing group up. Trade out our old players and not our up and comers, etc. Then we might believe you're serious.

Last edited:
Sort of.

We will be pushing for before that, but my scepticism suggests we need a few years of the the under 23's to develop and take over the output from the 9 or 10 older players who wont be there after 2021 season is finished.

If we can play an EF in 2020, then a SF in 2021, then 2023 should be the target. If we don't, then 2025 becomes more realistic.

This is how I've always seen it. I think people are underselling just how good these guys can be. For mine, the Bulldogs are coming into their second wave of dominance after their early 2016 flag (which is why I don't believe GWS will rule the competition), just like it took Hawthorn another 5 years to get things sorted.

We need to be in the next wave after Richmond/Footscray/GWS. Who knows, we might be good enough to win an early flag in the next two years, and then come back again in 2025.

Yes, Yes, When Ken was hired back in 2013, a Premiership in 2025 was always the goal....the 12 year plan is going to script.

man you're gonna get an ulcer

It was a fuller and franker meeting than I expected. That's why I didn't post anything last night. I wanted to think about it.

I expected a lot more non on-field/footy department issues to be discussed because I thought we would get bogged down with stuff that cant be changed. But having KT there, probably changed the whole agenda.

At times, it would have been uncomfortable listening for our staff members.

KT, Richo and Steve Shirley turned up plus a member of the footy club who I think works in physcology or maybe marketing who was taking a lot of notes, and helped facilitate the event, and got us back on track, by asking us all to explain certain words, or phrases we used and what we meant by them. Richo was writing key words, phrases up on the board and over the 2 hours he went back to some of them and linked them up with the current discussion. Chris Davies sat in for 15-20 minutes as he had a prior engagement.

I have no doubt a report will get written about the meeting and the issues raised. Who sees it and how much change it drives, is to be determined I guess.

We were told a few things in private re footy issues and asked to keep them within the room, so I will.

Respectful discussions about what Koch and Ken say and do, that we don't like, was put forward. None of the 3 guys who work for the club had any doubt about what we felt, but there wasn't any ranting.

The club is aware of its list issues, as we discussed the hole in that 24-27 year group. The club is concentrating on developing the guys 23 or less to fill that hole over the next couple of years.

EternalOptimist has covered the main issues we discussed adequately so I wont repeat them.

There was no silver bullet last night!

Thanks to FishingRick04 for organising this, and for club officials, KT, Richo, Steve Shirley and CD, and I enjoyed the discussions with those who made it, some I have known for a while, some who I met for the first time.
If the intent is to develop the under 23's did they give any reason for keeping bog average older players in Sutcliffe and McKenzie around? Further to development of the younger players any indication these older players (and Sam Gray if given another contract) won't be first choice players going forward, but only for depth? I.e. anything concrete promised rather than vague 'It's the vibe of the youth'?

I wanted to be there, but driving 70km each way with a broken wrist wasn't happening. Oldies shouldn't climb ladders

Being very anti-Ken and critical of a club calling it's supporters noise, I'm pleased to see that message was given, and hopefully given in such a way that it was taken seriously.

Three things that I would have brought up are

1. China. No one has said anything. Was it even discussed? Finance would have with REH there.

2. I'm a bit different to many on this board, having had some experience with counselling and suicide. I'm concerned with the way Sam Gray in particular is maligned by supporters, and seemingly being treated by the club at the moment. Did the psychologist, or anyone from admin, bring up supporter social media behaviour? In their shoes I would have. Information flow should go both ways.

3. The North Melbourne debacle. The players were not mentally involved. Second in the BnFairest had 1 touch! After your meeting is anyone able to give us any idea as to what the hell happened. I can guess, but it doesn't put Hinkley in a good light.

Well done Rick and those who attended. Keep up the good fight. Hopefully the club was receptive.

PS Was Barry Curtin's behaviour brought up?

Yes, Yes, When Ken was hired back in 2013, a Premiership in 2025 was always the goal....the 12 year plan is going to script.

Would love Terry Wallace’s off-the-record thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted to be there, but driving 70km each way with a broken wrist wasn't happening. Oldies shouldn't climb ladders

Being very anti-Ken and critical of a club calling it's supporters noise, I'm pleased to see that message was given, and hopefully given in such a way that it was taken seriously.

Three things that I would have brought up are

1. China. No one has said anything. Was it even discussed? Finance would have with REH there.

2. I'm a bit different to many on this board, having had some experience with counselling and suicide. I'm concerned with the way Sam Gray in particular is maligned by supporters, and seemingly being treated by the club at the moment. Did the psychologist, or anyone from admin, bring up supporter social media behaviour? In their shoes I would have. Information flow should go both ways.

3. The North Melbourne debacle. The players were not mentally involved. Second in the BnFairest had 1 touch! After your meeting is anyone able to give us any idea as to what the hell happened. I can guess, but it doesn't put Hinkley in a good light.

Well done Rick and those who attended. Keep up the good fight. Hopefully the club was receptive.

PS Was Barry Curtin's behaviour brought up?
I brought up both China and the North Melbourne game. KT did mention that it wasn't a preferred topic of conversation (China). I then simply asked if we make money. He said about 300k. KT also said games like the North debacle simply happen too often.
Edit: I mentioned the North game was worthy of a sacking.

Last edited:
If the intent is to develop the under 23's did they give any reason for keeping bog average older players in Sutcliffe and McKenzie around? Further to development of the younger players any indication these older players (and Sam Gray if given another contract) won't be first choice players going forward, but only for depth? I.e. anything concrete promised rather than vague 'It's the vibe of the youth'?

Come to the next one

Unless it goes off script and we then move to the new improved 13 year plan.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can I ask a few questions of the people who attended.

What was the age demographic?

Did you get the impression from the club staff who attended that they see Big Footy as a collective of militant keyboard warriors or actually people who care about the club and know a thing or two about football?

It's by no means the complete answer......... but.......

....... something that would go a long way to resolving this issue would be not rewarding a failing coach with a ridiculously long term contract, and then not sticking by him and giving him a SECOND chance to develop the list he wants because he failed the first.

The Crows sacked their coach after 2 years of failure, 2 years!!! A club bathed in the acceptance and celebration of mediocrity.

Yet here we are after 5 years of failure and we're backing Ken's 2nd crack in. A coach that is clearly leading a team of comfortable individuals that need a shake up, amongst years of stunted development of those players, with failing gameplans and systems that have repeatedly been one-dimensional.

In reality it is beyond belief that Ken is still here. That North Melbourne game should've been the final straw.

If they want us to believe they are ruthless and pushing hard to achieve our goals, we shouldn't be protecting the leader of our mediocrity. A coach that has already failed once and this year despite incredible upswings in performance and some statistical dominance, still couldn't get results. The man who has failed to take us to the top 4 in his 7 seasons, and has only won 3 finals even though the club has at times publicly declared it has believed we have a premiership winning list.

Sack Ken! Give us a reason to believe again! Spark some hope. Shake the playing group up. Trade out our old players and not our up and comers, etc. Then we might believe you're serious.
Hey Coob, I agree that Ken has to go and Nth Melb game should have been the nail in the coffin, however, financial considerations likely made it impossible. I.e . There may have been a desire to sack, but it just couldn’t be done.

This is why next year is going to be hard to watch, playing well and making finals in spite of ourselves will trigger the additional year and make sacking Ken hard again.

Just makes you realise how bad the extension contract was

Just makes you realise how bad the extension contract was
When KT says that the Board have made mistakes and that the supporter disengagement is on them, well in my head I imagine that he is saying that because in hindsight he realises that the Ken Hinkley extension was up there with the worst decisions a Port Adelaide Football Club board has made in our entire history.

Even if that isn't the case, it helps me sleep at night.

Stability equals success....... :thumbsdown:

Can I ask a few questions of the people who attended.

What was the age demographic?

Did you get the impression from the club staff who attended that they see Big Footy as a collective of militant keyboard warriors or actually people who care about the club and know a thing or two about football?
1. 45-60, one person was probably early 30's.

2. I think the club see's big footy as representing the full 360 degrees of our supporters opinions, with a bias towards strong opinions. They know that there are people who care deeply about the club on here, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with the meeting.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back