Free Agency Jack Newnes [Signs with Carlton as DFA]

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I also suspect that Carlton have been eyeing off what players they can snag in the preseason draft and DFA's in order to band aid their trade performance

We’ve been linked to him for months, and would have signed him regardless how things panned out with our trade targets. It’s not as though he and Papley are comparable players, and Jack Martin will still be picked up via PSD.

Shocking read of the situation really.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Minimum salary cap and missing trade targets = under pressure list manager throwing the cash.
So when you guys got De Boar, Mzungo and other mature depth options was it due to pressure? Is it possible that we need some experience and see potential in Newnes to play a role? He is not the worst footballer going around

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So when you guys got De Boar, Mzungo and other mature depth options was it due to pressure? Is it possible that we need some experience and see potential in Newnes to play a role? He is not the worst footballer going around

The Freo guys we got did not have contracts from Freo in front of them, they were not wanted by their club. I 100% agree, he is way too good of a footballer to be delisted which why he had a 2 year contract in front of him at the Saints. Let's be serious here, Carlton have trumped their offer.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The Freo guys we got did not have contracts from Freo in front of them, they were not wanted by their club. I 100% agree, he is way too good of a footballer to be delisted which why he had a 2 year contract in front of him at the Saints. Let's be serious here, Carlton have trumped their offer.

By front loading a contract with money banked. Sounds like smart cap management to me.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Minimum salary cap and missing trade targets = under pressure list manager throwing the cash.
There’s nothing wrong with newness as a player mate was in our leadership group had a down year this season before that was a very consistent player for us got good pace kicks goals still a good age plenty of footy left was disappointed we let him go would get a game at most clubs!

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
There’s nothing wrong with newness as a player mate was in our leadership group had a down year this season before that was a very consistent player for us got good pace kicks goals still a good age plenty of footy left was disappointed we let him go would get a game at most clubs!

WTF are you on about? Read the whole page.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
WTF are you on about? Read the whole page.
What are you carrying on about more like it ? 😂you wrote a comment talking about Carlton’s list manager being under pressure and them throwing cash around at any players I commented that newñess is a pretty decent player ! Seriously wtf

Correct. We currently have 6 players in the 24-27 age range. An upcoming birthday and likely pickups of Newnes and Martin make it 9.

Nobody is throwing cash at Newnes to meet the minimum cap. We'd simply frontload more contracts and build on that nest egg for next year.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Depth player for the Blues, who would he replace in the best 22 ?
His better then a depth player
Correct. We currently have 6 players in the 24-27 age range. An upcoming birthday and likely pickups of Newnes and Martin make it 9.

Nobody is throwing cash at Newnes to meet the minimum cap. We'd simply frontload more contracts and build on that nest egg for next year.
yeah i agree some of the people on here are plain stupid to start with newness wouldn’t be on big money the reason the the blues have recruited him is his a pretty decent experienced player that will be first 18 that you’re getting for free don’t know why people find it so hard to understand!

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
What are you carrying on about more like it ? 😂you wrote a comment talking about Carlton’s list manager being under pressure and them throwing cash around at any players I commented that newñess is a pretty decent player ! Seriously wtf

this is what I wrote 2 posts above yours.

I 100% agree, he is way too good of a footballer to be delisted which why he had a 2 year contract in front of him at the Saints.

If Carlton were so into picking up players in this age bracket, why wouldnt they sign him in the FA period?

AFLEXPERT

Draftee
Oct 27, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Rate the newnes pick up for Carlton, get him for nothing, accommodates our young group. Strong body. Will play 22 games next year

Back