News NMFC AFLW 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah Wright is an interesting one, came back from a broken neck last year, and being described as a "hard running forward" probably embodies a strategy in our draft to complement the existing talls who we already know can take a big grab in front of goal.

Plus, her doppelganger went two picks later in the draft to the Cats. Twins split between North and Geelong, what could go wrong for us.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting that Mo Hope pulled her draft nomination at the 11th hour ... Should this be interpreted as she had no contact from any of the clubs and wanted to save face (and her commercial arrangements)? Recall on the eve of the inaugural AFLW season Shaun Smith saying she was uncoachable, had zero respect from her teammates (multiple clubs) and that how in the year she kicked 100 for St Kilda Sharks, she always managed to beat up on the weak teams but couldn't actually get a kick against the sides that actually had some ability. Disgrace she wore the blue and white stripes.

Interesting that Mo Hope pulled her draft nomination at the 11th hour ... Should this be interpreted as she had no contact from any of the clubs and wanted to save face (and her commercial arrangements)? Recall on the eve of the inaugural AFLW season Shaun Smith saying she was uncoachable, had zero respect from her teammates (multiple clubs) and that how in the year she kicked 100 for St Kilda Sharks, she always managed to beat up on the weak teams but couldn't actually get a kick against the sides that actually had some ability. Disgrace she wore the blue and white stripes.

And yet at the open training day in feb last year she sat and listened to my 7 yr old daughter sing for 3 minutes, called her teammates over to join in and generally made a little kid feel part of the footy club in a way that still effects her.

So not a total disgrace.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And yet at the open training day in feb last year she sat and listened to my 7 yr old daughter sing for 3 minutes, called her teammates over to join in and generally made a little kid feel part of the footy club in a way that still effects her.

So not a total disgrace.

Yeah certainly not a disgrace - very ordinary comment there from Rusty. There are a number of girls who have been drawn to supporting NMFC thanks to Mo and her profile.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah certainly not a disgrace - very ordinary comment there from Rusty. There are a number of girls who have been drawn to supporting NMFC thanks to Mo and her profile.
That's wonderful she was nice to the kiddies. My point is that it's ended in tears at every single club she's been at.

That's wonderful she was nice to the kiddies. My point is that it's ended in tears at every single club she's been at.

Not the same as calling it a disgrace.

She's had her issues, mainly associated with her appearing to be very bull-headed (my assessment as an outside observer), but it's far from a disgrace that she played for the club.

She has plenty of football talent. I've always suspected she's not fit enough.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sarah Wright is an interesting one, came back from a broken neck last year, and being described as a "hard running forward" probably embodies a strategy in our draft to complement the existing talls who we already know can take a big grab in front of goal.

Plus, her doppelganger went two picks later in the draft to the Cats. Twins split between North and Geelong, what could go wrong for us.
Surely we couldn’t get the sh!t twin three times in a row?

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

She's had her issues, mainly associated with her appearing to be very bull-headed (my assessment as an outside observer), but it's far from a disgrace that she played for the club.

Whose fault is that LuvTheKangas? What would your attitude be towards one of the lads in the men's side who fell short of professional standards in terms of physical preparation and application? I understand the women are part-timers, but we're talking about an individual who was happy to receive endorsements, be a marquee player (albeit at the Pies) and be front of queue for media and paid speaking engagements.

Whose fault is that LuvTheKangas? What would your attitude be towards one of the lads in the men's side who fell short of professional standards in terms of physical preparation and application? I understand the women are part-timers, but we're talking about an individual who was happy to receive endorsements, be a marquee player (albeit at the Pies) and be front of queue for media and paid speaking engagements.

Nice straw man.

My only point is that you were wrong to label it a disgrace.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nice straw man.

My only point is that you were wrong to label it a disgrace.
I'm unsure what the straw man reference is in relation to. Okay, so point taken about your position on the use of the term 'disgrace'. I suppose my disappointment should've been directed at those responsible for undertaking due diligence on prospective draft selections.

Surely we couldn’t get the sh!t twin three times in a row?
Well, thinking it over, a more encouraging omen is that she joins Shaun Higgins as a North player to have a sister play for Geelong.

I'd quit while you are behind, mate, if I was you. Using the word disgrace was out of line.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

Interestingly, I think she seemed a better player when she was a fair bit heavier.

Still an asset onfield in her time with North - much better than she was with the Pies the year before - as well as good off-field with marketing and with fans. I had the pleasure of catching up with her and her now-wife after the North-Pies game at Marvel this year, and they were both delightful and incredibly positive about their experience of the North Melbourne club. I'm sorry it ended so soon, but mostly I'm sorry AFLW probably came around a little bit too late for her peak. Fair enough for her to prioritise family and the rest of her life rather than scratching around for the later part of her playing career. I'm glad to have her signature on my North AFLW training top to remember her representing our club in its first year with pride.

Disgrace she wore the blue and white stripes.

lol wat.

Mo was very serviceable for us last year on-field, and was very helpful in off-field promotion of the team.

Her leaving NMFC seemed totally amicable and there was no mud slung.

Just because it didn't work out, doesn't mean it's a disgrace.

You should pull your head in mate.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lol wat.

Mo was very serviceable for us last year on-field, and was very helpful in off-field promotion of the team.

Her leaving NMFC seemed totally amicable and there was no mud slung.

Just because it didn't work out, doesn't mean it's a disgrace.

You should pull your head in mate.
Being absorbed in her phone when seated alongside the game's longest-serving coach, before abruptly walking out on a paid gig because she got her wires crossed ... now that's a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back