Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we pause this extended hand ringing for a moment. Let’s assume that we had taken Dunkley. Would the team have been noticeably or measurablely better off? If so why?
Btw it sounds like Deluca is going to picked as a rookie. If we’d taken Dunkley maybe he’d have been delisted so he could then be picked as a rookie. Maybe.

It’s got nothing to do with the player we picked, the discussion is around SOS wanting player A and supposedly being overruled by people who shouldn’t have the authority.

The free agency period ended without him exercising that right.

Players who are out of contract and are free agents, don’t have their free agency stripped off them if they aren’t picked up in the FA period. Once he is out of contract, which would have been next week, he can play where he wants.

We may have to concede that there could have been other internal issues with Daisy. He was a good trainer and a good mentor but the club were remarkably angry with him over that drinking episode. Perhaps there was some form there?

Daisy hadn't functioned as a forward for us at all. He was better off half back. Maybe had lost 2 yards of pace on the wing. Probably showed more when we had no real pace in our side across the board. What is another year going to give us anyway? It's not like he is Betts and can play in a position where we have no options.

Rumour is that drinking episode wasn't the only occasion.

Players who are out of contract and are free agents, don’t have their free agency stripped off them if they aren’t picked up in the FA period. Once he is out of contract, which would have been next week, he can play where he wants.

Regardless, free agency period is over so he cannot move clubs as a free agent.

Under the rules he is now considered a delisted free agent, which is a different thing entirely. Had StK not delisted him he would of been forced to nominate for the draft.

You know I’ve lost complete track of this thread because I wanted to lose complete track of this thread. When I had a look yesterday I was over 100 pages behind because I was having a rest after the trade period. There is some serious talking going on when not much is happening.

As for my thoughts on what has happened.

I love the mad thoughts of Mad Tony Cochrane. Total ******* nutter!

Carlton made a mistake delisting Thomas but won’t admit it because people with egos operate that way.

And don’t fret about Jack Newnes. I see him playing a prominent role next year. The reason you know little about him is because St Kilda have a plethora of Jacks and their individual feats disappear in a haze of activity.

You know I’ve lost complete track of this thread because I wanted to lose complete track of this thread. When I had a look yesterday I was over 100 pages behind because I was having a rest after the trade period. There is some serious talking going on when not much is happening.

As for my thoughts on what has happened.

I love the mad thoughts of Mad Tony Cochrane. Total ******* nutter!

Carlton made a mistake delisting Thomas but won’t admit it because people with egos operate that way.

And don’t fret about Jack Newnes. I see him playing a prominent role next year. The reason you know little about him is because St Kilda have a plethora of Jacks and their individual feats disappear in a haze of activity.
Remember that group from the 60's, everyone remembered the Jill but no one remembered the four Jacks.

To be honest, i don't know, his contract was due to expire next week regardless. Maybe delisting him just made things easier for the saints or they aren't jerks like Cochorane, the Saints have nothing to gain from hanging on another week, where the GC are supposedly trying to make a stupid point, using a young mans career as leverage.

Its pretty clear on all AFL sites, that UFA can move to a club of their choice with no interference from their original club.
This is a quote from St Kilda in today's HUN

"In the end Jack has decided the time is right for a fresh start and we have agreed to delist him.This will allow him the opportunity to join another club as a free agent/"

So based on that statement if St Kilda had not delisted him he is simply an out of contract player and would have had to go through the draft.
It would seem if free agents are not signed up in the first free agency period they lose that status.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he can efficiently move to the club of his choice sooner and without needing to go through drafts. Is an act of good faith. Possibly also shows they were happy to see him go.
I understand that but it was suggested that he was a free agent anyway and could move to any club. This appears not to be the case which is why I asked the question.

I understand that but it was suggested that he was a free agent anyway and could move to any club. This appears not to be the case which is why I asked the question.
No club came calling during free agency, so Saints offered him a two year contract. He wasn't happy with the contract had a word with Carlton and Saints done the right thing by him by delisting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda don't have to remove him from their list until the last list lodgment at the end of November. It's true his contract is expired but you're only a DFA if you're delisted by 31 October. The player can delist themselves on 11 November and when they do they can enter either the ND or the PSD.

I know you won't be told otherwise so I won't keep repeating it after this as it's not going anywhere but that's what happens. He's a free agent but that period ended without him being taken as one so now he's only a Delisted Free Agent (a very different concept) if St Kilda choose to delist him earlier than they have to.

He was a Free Agent. But there’s a specific period where that can be exercised and either matched or not. That time has passed. So he falls back into the standard ‘out of contrcat’ situation.

St Kilda don't have to remove him from their list until the last list lodgment at the end of November. It's true his contract is expired but you're only a DFA if you're delisted by 31 October. The player can delist themselves on 11 November and when they do they can enter either the ND or the PSD.

I know you won't be told otherwise so I won't keep repeating it after this as it's not going anywhere but that's what happens. He's a free agent but that period ended without him being taken as one so now he's only a Delisted Free Agent (a very different concept) if St Kilda choose to delist him earlier than they have to.
Which they did on Friday.

Without fully researching it, Collingwood’s list build has included a lot of discarded / slightly unwanted types with 100 + games. Over the years, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Roughead, Dunn, Crisp, Howe and to an extent, Wells.

Not all have been a success, but they all have desirable attributes. I don’t think they gave up much for these guys (as opposed to Treloar, Adams), but they know structure, they’re professional and seeking team success.

Hopefully Martin and Newnes are the start of a similar cohort for us (Newman probably belongs on an age basis but not games played).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back