Racing Cox Plate

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
\ If you the horses you rate off are ordinary you are going to get skewed ratings. I think the laughable world wide ratings Hartnell and crappy aussie stayers and alternatively Ten Sovereign got as a sprinter proves that.

So basically you are inferring that Castel would have beaten Winx or at least got very close to her?

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyway that's not the point. LG underperfomed today (not her fault) and still got the job done we don't need to proclaim literally the next CP winner after Winx better than her already. If CV and TAS win everything for the next 3 years maybe we can re-visit.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So basically you are inferring that Castel would have beaten Winx or at least got very close to her?
no. I am saying this is all subjective and you cant really judge. I think i have a good feel of how good our horses are without ratings. I do pretty well. Castel is unknown to me still, Untapped at the moment, Same with TAS, They arent superstars but i they might be very very good. Look forward to seeing their full potential. God knows we need good horses. Dont dismiss MJ shes a star but only up to 1600m

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
no. I am saying this is all subjective and you cant really judge. I think i have a good feel of how good our horses are without ratings. I do pretty well. Castel is unknown to me still, Untapped at the moment, Same with TAS, They arent superstars but i they might be very very good. Look forward to seeing their full potential. God knows we need good horses. Dont dismiss MJ shes a star but only up to 1600m

I'm not dismissing her or any of them. I spent all week talking those 3 specifically up despite half this board in yellow and somewhat international fever thinking MW and LG are 10L ahead of our horses. Given most of this board are of that opinion i would have thought their closeness would be worrying markers.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not dismissing her or any of them. I spent all week talking those 3 up despite half this board in yellow and somewhat international fever thinking MW and LG are 10L ahead of our horses. Given most of this board are of that opinion i would have thought their closeness would be worrying markers.

I am assuming you watched the race.... WTF! Would have brained them if not for that csucker riding Danceteria. I am sure LG hit the line with another 800m more to give the way the race panned out. Look at LG go from the 400m, that was the best turn of foot in the history of the race. Looked like Dulcify reincarnate.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not dismissing her or any of them. I spent all week talking those 3 specifically up despite half this board in yellow and somewhat international fever thinking MW and LG are 10L ahead of our horses. Given most of this board are of that opinion i would have thought their closeness would be worrying markers.
i dont rate Humidor highly and he almost beat Winx. REd Excitement almost beat Winx! Superstars can have off days and still win.

There is the example of FOO and Northerly. Northerly beat FOO at WFA by a length or 2 pretty much always but then he went to the CC and met FOO 6kgs worse and still beat him easy. Northerly was a superstar, FOO was not even close because Northerly consistently beat all oppostion while FOO took turns. Its just the way racing is

Lol that is a solid rose colored glasses analysis - No one was saying MW was 10 lengths clear - everyone was saying LG was a class above and she absolutely was - an utterly dominant victor with zero excuses for a single beaten runner.

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
Danceteria being tailed off last was absolutely golden too :D - cannot believe how many keep getting sucked into Oz Bloodstock hype.
Especially as Spencer was playing jockeys. He rode it to prevent LG winning (not criticising him for that either). But when he set about trying to win the race himself, he realised he’d got nothing underneath him...

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
Wow. She had so much left in the tank.

Visually you get drawn to Castelvecchio putting a margin on them and knowing he had the light weight, you think he's probably home. Then that last 100m she goes BANG and we get a clear picture of the levels to this game. It's probably the last time we need to hear about horses "not handling the Valley" being any sort of factor as well.

She's world class, not sure where exactly but has a seat at the table anyway.

Didn't find Castelvecchio - has gone fantastic there. Shout out to the King and anyone else who was keen on his chances. I think the stable are lucky he's such a talented horse because it's been a real weird, indecisive prep. I guess this is some consolation despite not winning a race with him. Smart ride from Craig.

Nice deep end debut by The Shark, showing he's an Autumn player in pretty much anything and MJ ran her best race in her Grand Final, can't ask for more than that.

The naysayers will be out as it looks a fair chance that all 3 majors are going overseas again, but * 'em. I like it. We saw a star yesterday, no one at the track will forget it. It was actually electrifying to watch. The Melbourne Spring is starting to resemble the global event they've purported it to be for years now, and the main course is yet to come.

Putting up stupid prize money doesn't buy you relevance, as anyone who watched the Bondi yesterday will testify.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes even I would have to concede now that anything that finished behind MJ yesterday is utter trash from a WFA perspective.

Funny you say that as KWD was next. Watching KWD and TAS from the 500 the finishing order between those two would have been reversed if you swap which path they took home. He will win at WFA again. An Avilius WFA but a WFA nonetheless. :)

Funny you say that as KWD was next. Watching KWD and TAS from the 500 the finishing order between those two would have been reversed if you swap which path they took home. He will win at WFA again. An Avilius WFA but a WFA nonetheless. :)

Yeah nah - can't see KWD ever beating TAS home in a race - tbh can't see KWD ever winning another race

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Credit to the Shark for running a drum but it was a flattering run still getting to sit out the back then having everything open up on the rails so just got to flash home into a place with the dream run while others were put into it earlier trying to win the race

Saw Dan O'Sullivan also did his article for racing.com ranking it behind every single Winx CP but miles best non winx run for a while.

Which seems 100% correct.

Personally doubt that it was much worse than her last two wins - would have it around the same as those.

If she got a perfect run in the Humidor one it would have been interesting. The ride was her won worst enemy there but on results etc it's not there.

Yeah I think its fair to see neither of the last 3 runnings have let the winner run to their absolute peak like we saw in 15-16