Winners and Losers of trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

No one is upset by it at all....What most sane & balanced posters are actually perplexed by, is the footy media proclaiming that somehow the Bombers were big winners in trade week.....Most especially how the acquisition of a third-string ruckman at his third club & a bit part injury-prone mid, somehow translates into a 7-7.5 out of 10 & a Top 3-4 billing?

Holding onto players has jack all to do with 'trade-week'....It's what you actually trade out & in, that informs the equation....And yet these seemingly self-evident criteria & goal-posts are somehow magically transported in order to award Essendon a big thumbs-up.

I'm sure you see the point by now.....Context is somehow magically lost & cast aside by these supposed footy 'experts' & 'scribes' by such estimations.....It's almost as if they're all working from a pre-scripted narrative completely divorced from the reality of the situation entirely......Lets call it ' The Gill imperative'.
Yep.
Robbo putting Geelong and Essendon in the top3 winners when they did exactly the opposite of each other (One traded out the star player and got a boatload of picks - the other didn't trade the star player at all) is just amazing.

Essendon really failed to improve its list at all in the trade period - and to my view the point of the trade period is that it's an opportunity to improve your list. Opportunity missed doesn't equate to a win. By this measure Richmond were complacent and didn't make any moves either.

Yep.
Robbo putting Geelong and Essendon in the top3 winners when they did exactly the opposite of each other (One traded out the star player and got a boatload of picks - the other didn't trade the star player at all) is just amazing.

Essendon really failed to improve its list at all in the trade period - and to my view the point of the trade period is that it's an opportunity to improve your list. Opportunity missed doesn't equate to a win. By this measure Richmond were complacent and didn't make any moves either.

Especially when its not like they re-signed Daniher. The desire to leave is still there and will probably creep up again next year.

I remember when Gaff got a huge offer from North last year and not only did he not leave he also signed a long term contract. Didn't see the media call us the 'big winners of trade week 2018' its was just considered basic list management.

Especially when its not like they re-signed Daniher. The desire to leave is still there and will probably creep up again next year.

I remember when Gaff got a huge offer from North last year and not only did he not leave he also signed a long term contract. Didn't see the media call us the 'big winners of trade week 2018' its was just considered basic list management.

Flip side North were called quiet in this period for only facilitating a pick swap and recruiting Bonar for nix but we also managed to keep two of our best players in Higgins and Goldstein who the media were jumping over each other to link to other clubs.

This kind of goes against where the Saints think they are at. TheY brought in a s**t load of age and experience because they obviously think they can contend strongly for finals. Why would they then not play their 27 yr old key fwd who’s been their best performer over the last 5 years, instead, play young fwds who are pretty much unproven. There is zero chance Bruce wouldn’t have played every game next year at the Saints. Thinking otherwise is biased delusion.

odd post

addressing part one "TheY brought in a s**t load of age and experience because they obviously think they can contend strongly for finals."

Including Newnes, out went the following ages as of rd 1 - 30,27,27,24 & in came 31,26,24,23,23.

a) no they didn't
b) anyone contending that we brought in Ryder because they obviously think they can contend strongly for finals is plain wrong, we had one ruckman on the list, now we have 2.

Part 2 "There is zero chance Bruce wouldn’t have played every game next year at the Saints. Thinking otherwise is biased delusion."

This is the same guy who the Saints wouldn't discuss contract extensions with and were happy to off load for an early 2nd rounder? yeah?

This. But St Kilda fans wouldn’t admit that if I said it because it’s me posting it.

They’ve added maturity and experience elsewhere but then think their best true kpf, and second best forward, is expendable. Largely because of Max King.

you’d think they would learn from recent high draft pick forwards.

Tom Boyd - was a once in a generation junior. Never got going despite a moment of success.

Patrick McCartin- wait for the backlash on this but he was poor before his concussion issues. 35 games, 34 goals as a full time forward, poor goal accuracy and less than 10 disposals a game.

Josh Schache - started his AFL career the best of the lot but was still underwhelming. Had his issues and is now showing some promise again but is behind where you’d hope. Still the best of this three.

But Max King is suddenly going to come in next year and cover what Bruce gave. Along with a cooked Ryder and a young ruck/forward who kicked eight goals last year

You missed Battle going forward.

King will play 15 games at most.

Yep.

Whilst true we didn't make any major moves with our list, would anyone have expected us to given we had just spent the last 2 years and our draft picks on bringing in Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad. There is only so much salary cap and draft picks to go around and we had given up our first this year on Shiel.

I guess the only way we can 'win' this trade period is if Daniher and Fantasia have good seasons and re-sign (well in the case of Daniher at least). Really though trade periods shouldn't be viewed in isolation. They should be viewed in conjunction with the draft and over several years to really take stock of the list changes and the resources given up. These winner/loser threads are really just a bit of fun and no serious list manager would look at things in this way.

You missed Battle going forward.

King will play 15 games at most.

oh sorry I forgot about Battle, whose best goal return in a year is seven and who was playing defence last year.

with him your forward line is set

This. But St Kilda fans wouldn’t admit that if I said it because it’s me posting it.

They’ve added maturity and experience elsewhere but then think their best true kpf, and second best forward, is expendable. Largely because of Max King.

Tom Boyd - was a once in a generation junior. Never got going despite a moment of success.

Patrick McCartin- wait for the backlash on this but he was poor before his concussion issues. 35 games, 34 goals as a full time forward, poor goal accuracy and less than 10 disposals a game.

Josh Schache - started his AFL career the best of the lot but was still underwhelming. Had his issues and is now showing some promise again but is behind where you’d hope. Still the best of this three.

But Max King is suddenly going to come in next year and cover what Bruce gave. Along with a cooked Ryder and a young ruck/forward who kicked eight goals last year
M King already done his second knee injury.

Fremantle had Morabito and Hawthorn had Thorpe who never got over their injuries.

Their is no guarantee that M King live up to his potential.

If Jack Martin ends up going to the Cats in the National Draft, does this have a negative effect on Carlton's trade week rating?

Given they've lost out on another player because their list management staff couldn't cough up what was required for a player they had convinced to come to Ikon Park, I'd say it's a pretty bad thing.

i think you are over exagerating ....
most logical saints fans are in agreeance losing Bruce hurts our team in the short term how that hits us long term is the gamble we have taken ... 2020 we are aiming for finals but most likely not there yet with or without bruce in the side but when you have the chance to add the 5 players we have added you take that opportunity , Bruce and Acres were the collateral damage to make that happen but big picture stuff the long term view is losing both those players may not be as harsh to our team given our options in the wings... yes that can fall into a heap if those options dont reach the level of what we have lost but we are backing ourselves in for it to work ... you can be as smug as you like about it but our club made the moves that they are banking on making us a stronger side not just in 2020 but moving forward beyond that ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look through Bruce's stats, they're pretty average for a forward. He is a run of the mill forward, certainly nothing special. Maybe we'll miss him in a way for not having a direct replacement, but we're not losing a gun here. Maybe Membrey will flourish being the main man up there. Maybe King, Battle or Marshall will be a hit up forward. It's hard to know, but Bruce is certainly not irreplaceable considering what he was.

If you look through Bruce's stats, they're pretty average for a forward. He is a run of the mill forward, certainly nothing special. Maybe we'll miss him in a way for not having a direct replacement, but we're not losing a gun here. Maybe Membrey will flourish being the main man up there. Maybe King, Battle or Marshall will be a hit up forward. It's hard to know, but Bruce is certainly not irreplaceable considering what he was.

he’s no star but kicked the second most goals in 2019 for st kilda. How many goals did the third highest kick?

he’s no star but kicked the second most goals in 2019 for st kilda. How many goals did the third highest kick?
I just feel like that's a simplistic way of looking at it, but who knows.

you seem to ask that question a bit, I'll point you in the direction of AFL tables as a good source of historical information.

For example Gresham's best is 35, Dean Kent 25, even Carlisle had had 27 in a season.

Will miss Bruce's tank. Can run all day, but we have plenty to cover him.
King, Battle, Membrey, Ryder, Marshall swinging forward, even Dougs swinging forward.
We are much more flexible now as Bruce can only play forward and could only be moved to the bench.
Pretty limited player, perfect for the Bulldogs as a decoy for their better forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back