The Hundred

Remove this Banner Ad

100 balls is a gimmick too far. Almost comes across as England being offended at the Indians making T20 a success and want to make their own format successful instead of being second.

Would be worth it if they can bring cricket back to the common man in the country though. Someone said something about England falling to T20, if you ask me it's much better than England fully falling to soccer.

100 balls is a gimmick too far. Almost comes across as England being offended at the Indians making T20 a success and want to make their own format successful instead of being second.

Would be worth it if they can bring cricket back to the common man in the country though. Someone said something about England falling to T20, if you ask me it's much better than England fully falling to soccer.

Apparently BBC (which hasn't shown cricket since 1999) refused to give ECB over three hours per game. So 20 less balls per innings.

Because the only reason matches aren't fitting within the timeframe 'required' by the Beeb is because some of the over rates in T20 are shocking, just as they are in ODIs and Tests. Ultimately I doubt 20 balls will make a huge difference if over rates aren't dealt with, because they'll just draw it out anyway, and there will be some matches that go over for unforeseen reasons, as that's just the nature of sport.

Because the only reason matches aren't fitting within the timeframe 'required' by the Beeb is because some of the over rates in T20 are shocking, just as they are in ODIs and Tests. Ultimately I doubt 20 balls will make a huge difference if over rates aren't dealt with, because they'll just draw it out anyway, and there will be some matches that go over for unforeseen reasons, as that's just the nature of sport.

BBL games go longer than 3 hours. It's the format.

This is the first time I've seen over rates cited for the length of Twenty20 games.

A reminder - cricket, T20 cricket and association football were first played in England.

At least one England Test player will be signed to each of the eight men's teams competing in The Hundred, the new 100-ball competition starting in 2020.

Each city-based side will first have the chance to select one England player based in their catchment area.

Teams without a contracted player in their region will then get to pick one of those left unassigned.

Each side can then select up to two more England players from their area before a player draft on 20 October.

The system for England player selection means that, for example, Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow and Ben Stokes are all available to be selected first by the Leeds-based team which represents Yorkshire and Durham.

The two not picked could end up being snapped up by another franchise before the Leeds-based team gets another opportunity to sign them, but it is a possibility that all three could play in the same side.

The draft will contain 14 rounds, with a random draw determining the order, and each team will get a maximum of 100 seconds to make their selections. They can choose up to three overseas players.

Full:

A problem which could have easily been solved if they were willing to enforce over rates.

Over rates are usually fairly good in domestic t20 over here because we have a countdown which the last over must be started within or there's a 5 run penalty (down to the umpires to decide if there's been any necessary interruptions). 40 balls less and up to half as many end changes will clearly cut quite a bit of time though which I reckon is to try and get it on the BBC with as much exposure as possible.

Edit: just realised this post was from a while back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birmingham Phoenix (Edgbaston)
London Spirit (Lord's)
Manchester Originals (Old Trafford)
Northern Superchargers (Headingly)
Oval Invincibles (The Oval)
Southern Brave (Rose Bowl)
Trent Rockets (Trent Bridge)
Welsh Fire (Sophia Gardens)

4014400913910_T1

If you're going to have a team name as ridiculous as 'Originals' at least make them have their homeground at Lord's so it makes some weird kind of sense (Home of Cricket and all that).

"Manchester's moniker is the 'Originals', which is a nod to the city's role in shaping the music scene of decades gone by - from The Hacienda nightclub, New Order and the Stone Roses to Oasis."

"Manchester's moniker is the 'Originals', which is a nod to the city's role in shaping the music scene of decades gone by - from The Hacienda nightclub, New Order and the Stone Roses to Oasis."
I've also seen the following reasoning, but both of them are pretty disconnected reasoning, and it's just a bad name imo. Bees would have been much better:
Originals is thought to reflect the industrial past of the region, although it is understood the Manchester Bees was also an option, reflecting to rise in the use of the worker bee symbol following the Manchester Arena bomb in 2017.

Might be a silly question but will players stats from this competition go under their personal domestic T20 stats column or will sites like cricinfo now be adding another column for this one tournament?

Might be a silly question but will players stats from this competition go under their personal domestic T20 stats column or will sites like cricinfo now be adding another column for this one tournament?

I highly doubt the stats are counted for anything at this stage. Where would the line be drawn? Hong Kong 6's, T10? Completely different versions of the game.

Their 40 over OD matches counted for list a stats.
I think I read early on that they intended to be counted with t20 domestic stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back