Autopsy Are finals and grand final footy, not given the weight they should be by the footy community?

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I see a lot of comments comparing a round 2 or round 6 home and away game to a finals performance with the implication they are largely of equal value in the overall analysis of the players.

In other sports the regular season is highly regarded but in basketball for example the post season is seen as having a significantly higher weight or importance in future 'legacy'; playoffs, finals being more important to a random regular season game.

In association football, a world cup or fa cup final would be given greater importance to a run of the mill game domestic league game.

Or a Europe Champions league semi final, for example would be more harshly scrutinized.

Do we not give enough credit for the 'real' footy? after all most of the season in footy and other sports is just jockeying for position for the finals

Last edited:

I see a lot of comments comparing a round 2 or round 6 home and away game to a finals performance with the implication they are largely of equal value in the overall analysis of the players.

In other sports the regular season is highly regarded but in basketball for example the post season is seen as having a significantly higher weight or importance in future 'legacy'; playoffs, finals being more important to a random regular season game.

In association football, a world cup or fa cup final would be given greater importance to a run of the mill game domestic league game.

Or a Europe Champions league semi final, for example would be more harshly scrutinized.

Do we not give enough credit for the 'real' footy? after all most of the season in footy and other sports is just jockeying for position for the finals

I think we make a pretty big deal about finals.
Many people are of the opinion Wayne Carey is a better player than Gary Ablett snr because he has 2 premiership medals. I do not think premiership medals change your status as a player. You could be the best player in the comp and play for the bottom club your whole career.
Performing in finals or on the big stage is definitely a consideration though and I think worthy credit is given to those who do this.
Of course winning the GF is more important than winning round 6 but losing round 6 may not give you the best chance to make the GF.
Finals are big in Aussie rules football, always have been.

As usual, not sure what you’re on about or where you buy your gear from.

‘Perform when it counts’
‘Great players stand up in September’
‘Game plan that stands up in finals’
‘It goes up a notch’
‘The heat of finals footy’

Can only assume this is a thinly-veiled attempt to garner more praise for Marlion Pickett’s one game.

I also can't agree with the OP's premise.

If anything we probably put too much weight on how successful their team is in September when judging a player's individual merit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously though,

I think the problem is that commentators and media are paid to juice every bit of every season. How many times do we have McAvaney performing a melodrama in round 4 for a nice goal that's been kicked. Especially when the game is shithouse up to that point.

So when we get to a grand final, it's all been so bloody special, it's not special anymore.

Surprised at the response for the OP, even if it is another grandstanding thread.

It is a remarkable thing winning a grand final given the number of teams in the comp. That being said, outside of the supporters of the winning team, no ones really going to ponder the importance of it.

Being a premiership player is overrated however. Given 50% of the list gets a premiership medal, it’s really not that impressive. Plenty of average footballers have won premiership medals, and adding *premiership player* before the players name doesn’t inflate the players value.

I've always thought finals were given the weight they deserve. Maybe the H&A games get given too much weight.

When the media gush about a Round 4 performance, it’s because we’re in Round 4.
If a player gets 30 possessions, 10 marks & 5 goals he will be lauded.
What do you want the media to say - “nice game, 3 votes, what a player, won it off his own boot, but it’s May and this isn’t a Final, so let’s not get carried away”
And then do that for every single home & away game played?

And what would be the ‘overall analysis’ of players who barely played in finals? Is their legacy diminished?
Are Richo, Flower, Skilton etc lesser players as all their great games were H & A?

Last edited:
I'm going to assume most people here have played in a granny in some sport or another and know just how big a step up in is. Nothing to take away from the champs that never got the chance, or did and didn't make the most of it, but to stand up when everything is on the line is what everyone plays every game for.

I think the best example for current day is Patrick Cripps. Some people think he's the best player in the game, but you can only rate him off H&A matches. Additionally, Carlton has been miles off finals for a while, which diminishes their games further. I think you can truly judge and see the merit of a player when they play in finals and really show what they're made of. For example, if Carlton made the finals and Cripps played a big role, you could possibly laud him as the best in the game. Until then though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back