Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
GAJ in his prime (minus the selfish and self-entitled aspects to his game) would be the closest to Jarman skill wise
GAJ doesn't have the foot skills of Jars, other skills for sure, but even without my Hawthorn glasses on, there hasn't been an equal of Jars when it comes to foot skills.

50m + at fill tilt, both left and right, perfectly weighted, in traffic, his mind was like Sammy, a step ahead but Sammy rarely broke line like Jars.

Maybe Bucks was most similar if considering a mid who went back v forward for Jars.

Easily my favourite of that time.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
* so desperate they turned to a ruckman who was cooked in 2016, but yet the media narrative around them still remains in the flag window.

What a joke of a footy club they’ve become
But but but, they won trade week

dildorodo.gif

Paul Roos is weighing in to the Wallabies coach debate in The Australian today with a quarter page article
"....... different sports here but I took on the Melbourne Demon's job when they were rock bottom in the AFL. We successfully rebuilt the club and I think there are parallels to what the Wallabies are attempting. ......."

Roos makes a valid point about the executive needing to support the coach you but if the Wallabies rebuild is to be modelled on the "successful" Demons then RA might as well disband.

Since Roos has so far missed out on lucrative "all care but no responsibility" jobs in the AFL this season he might put up his hand to mentor the incoming Wallabies coach.

Paul Roos is weighing in to the Wallabies coach debate in The Australian today with a quarter page article
"....... different sports here but I took on the Melbourne Demon's job when they were rock bottom in the AFL. We successfully rebuilt the club and I think there are parallels to what the Wallabies are attempting. ......."
* me dead, what a w***er!

Did he not see where the Demons finished this year?

A mate texted me this morning saying they'd tried to sign a 39 year old corpse! 😂😂
Do you mean the corpse was 39 years old, or a new corpse of a 39 year old man?

Not that it would make any difference to Essendon, of course.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only Bucky highlight you ever need to watch is this one. I was about 10 years old and remember running up and down my street in Blackburn overcome with joy screaming we did it. We were 25 or so points down in the 4th but came home with a wet sail.

That was one of the greatest wins in the club's history IMO. We won against all odds.
Melbourne won the toss and kicked with a 5 goal southerly breeze. Huge advantage.
Quarter time we were only 5 points down. Massive win for us.

But then on the stroke of quarter time, there was a northerly change (180 degree change in wind direction) and suddenly we were facing another strong wind, another 5 goal advantage to Melbourne - we, at the ground, were utterly despondent. The gods were against us. It was really noticeable in the second quarter. Melbourne was kicking the ball 70 metres. Curran in front of us at one stage kicked it forward and the ball looped right back in the wind and covered about 10 metres.

Half time only 22 points down. But for a 10 goal wind advantage to Melbourne over the first half, we were actually thrashing them.

Third quarter a wind shift, which slightly favoured Melbourne and then more across the ground in the last quarter. At no stage during the game did we have the advantage of any wind.

The beauty of this game is that we didn't panic or throw it in. Just stuck to the task and played sensible footy especially against the wind. Even the last 15 seconds we didn't panic, we knew exactly what to do. Long kick from Tuck down the middle, marked by Schwabby, handball to Langford, runs and then kicked to the leading Bucky who was fouled. Magnificent stuff. Huge pressure on Bucky, but if there's one person in the history of Hawthorn (Hudson and Dunstall included) who never ever missed pressure goals, he was the man. He didn't even have to stop, pull up the socks, think about it, worry, scratch his balls, take deep breaths, look at the scoreboard. He just went back and drilled it. Never any doubt.

And by the way, even without the 15 metre penalty Bucky would have kicked the goal - the ball went through post high.

This game showed the greatness of Alan Jeans, master coach.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
That was one of the greatest wins in the club's history IMO. We won against all odds.
Melbourne won the toss and kicked with a 5 goal southerly breeze. Huge advantage.
Quarter time we were only 5 points down. Massive win for us.

But then on the stroke of quarter time, there was a northerly change (180 degree change in wind direction) and suddenly we were facing another strong wind, another 5 goal advantage to Melbourne - we, at the ground, were utterly despondent. The gods were against us. It was really noticeable in the second quarter. Melbourne was kicking the ball 70 metres. Curran in front of us at one stage kicked it forward and the ball looped right back in the wind and covered about 10 metres.

Half time only 22 points down. But for a 10 goal wind advantage to Melbourne over the first half, we were actually thrashing them.

Third quarter a wind shift, which slightly favoured Melbourne and then more across the ground in the last quarter. At no stage during the game did we have the advantage of any wind.

The beauty of this game is that we didn't panic or throw it in. Just stuck to the task and played sensible footy especially against the wind. Even the last 15 seconds we didn't panic, we knew exactly what to do. Long kick from Tuck down the middle, marked by Schwabby, handball to Langford, runs and then kicked to the leading Bucky who was fouled. Magnificent stuff. Huge pressure on Bucky, but if there's one person in the history of Hawthorn (Hudson and Dunstall included) who never ever missed pressure goals, he was the man. He didn't even have to stop, pull up the socks, think about it, worry, scratch his balls, take deep breaths, look at the scoreboard. He just went back and drilled it. Never any doubt.

And by the way, even without the 15 metre penalty Bucky would have kicked the goal - the ball went through post high.

This game showed the greatness of Alan Jeans, master coach.
Mississippi your post just mentally took me back to that day. My parents always laugh about how geed up I was that day. Outside of the 2013 prelim that game is up there as one of my favourites.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Roos makes a valid point about the executive needing to support the coach you but if the Wallabies rebuild is to be modelled on the "successful" Demons then RA might as well disband.

Very successful point by roos but then again, if roos didnt get coca cola plus a million dollars more than any other coach he never would have won a premiership mind u neither would longmire. He's record is terrible without afl interference... and that includes Melbourne.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I've seen it too, he runs just in front of Bucky pretty quickly after he has gone back on his line to have a shot. Stynes was coming from behind his left shoulder and chasing a Hawk who ran to the right side of Bucky. The commentators nor the players could hear it with how the crowd was going crazy.

Since Roos has so far missed out on lucrative "all care but no responsibility" jobs in the AFL this season he might put up his hand to mentor the incoming Wallabies coach.
If he was offering it cheap why not? RA have no idea and someone outside of RA may have useful perspective
(Must be a cheap consultancy though)

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I really loved about the 87 prelim was the reaction afterwards.
We were doing the classic celebrations - jumping up repeatedly with arms stretched out for a good 60 seconds as you do when you're delirious.

The poor Dee supporters were speechless, gobsmacked and crying with those wonderful blank staring open mouthed faces.

Seconds before they'd been full of arrogance, paying out on Hawthorn supporters especially when Simon Eishold marked the ball on the point post. He was going to kick a goal which would put the Dees 10 points up and into the grand final. Despondent Hawthorn supporters started leaving the ground. The Dee supporters were abusing those leaving - "suck that losers"! Then, of course, Eishold missed and Tucky kicked out - straight down the guts.

That was a wonderful 5 minutes to be at that ground. If you look at the video clip and see the face on the blonde Dee supporter standing and gasping in disbelief as Bucky gets the kick for goal. Multiply her face by 20,000 !!

Then jump ahead a year and a week. !988 grand final. The Dees are there. They turned out in the members - the men wearing silly boaters !! Can you believe it? I think they thought they were at a boat race - perhaps Cambridge v Oxford.
The Dee players ran their warm up laps in front of the members to a standing ovation. Stupid thing to do. I think those poor players thought, with that applause, a win was a formality.

Sorry Dees - record loss, 96 points! Oh the memories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back