VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Another departure

Looks like we will have quite a Few Changes.

Though don't blame players going to VFL Stand Alone Teams as Winning comes 1st where it might not be for a AFL's VFL Team

Looks like we will have quite a Few Changes.

Though don't blame players going to VFL Stand Alone Teams as Winning comes 1st where it might not be for a AFL's VFL Team
From memory we also lost a few when Tapping left. In terms of Cameron if he wants to play AFL getting a more regular game would improve his chances.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Can't say I remember the guy lol Did he play much VFL? or maybe I just didn't pay attention to him lol

Port Melbourne continue to lock away their new recruits ahead of season 2020, as utility Tom Cameron officially joins the club from Collingwood’s VFL list.

At 189cm, Cameron’s size means that his versatility is his main strength, but he can be expected to predominantly play off the Borough’s wing and half back lines next year.

Originally from Sandringham Dragons, Cameron played 4 games for the VFL Magpies this year, often struggling for opportunities as AFL-listed players filtered back throughout the season.

“Tom comes out of the Collingwood VFL system where he had limited opportunity, but we’re certainly thrilled to get him in Borough colours for 2020,” he said.

Tom played as a forward for Old Melbournians in the VAFA in 2019 and booted 17 goals across his 15 games, but his versatility to play as a wing/half back should give our side some much-needed flexibility moving in to 2020.”

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another departure

Understandable. Even with our injury issues with 48 senior and rookie listed players on the list he was always going to struggle to get the opportunity to play regularly at Collingwood. Good luck to him.

Essendon just delisted Tom Jok. I wonder if he would come back to our VFL team. He was a very good player for us.

We might Rookie him then.

Guess I was Right saying last year I was not a Massive Fan of Him Getting Drafted

Stand-alone clubs can sign 40 players next year, down from 45 in 2019, as well as six over-age players from the NAB League.

By 2021 primary lists will be cut to 38 and by 2022 to 36.

The salary cap will also be reduced from $380,000 next year to $350,000 in 2022.

The cap for AFL and AFL-aligned clubs will be $150,000 by 2022.

Each clubs’ development squad of six players will have three players who can play only VFL (Category A) and three who can play in the VFL and NAB League (Category B).

At least one 19-year-old player must be selected in the team each week, in addition to the 23rd player.

Clubs can recruit the Category A 19-year-olds from anywhere but the Category B players must come from a region designated to each club (Box Hill Hawks, for example, has been linked with Eastern Ranges).

AFL talent officers will identify the Category B players.

The AFL and AFL-aligned clubs could list between 24 and 30 players this year.

But that will come down to 22 next year and 20 by 2022. They will also have development squads.

NAB LEAGUE- VFL ALIGNMENTS
Oakleigh Chargers: Port Melbourne/Collingwood VFL (NGA)

Why are they doing those cost savings? Obviously the short answer is money, but I would hav thought that the AFL would be trying prop up the state leagues to keep them strong for AFL reserves, rather than have players choose suburban leagues which are likely to pay more.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are they doing those cost savings? Obviously the short answer is money, but I would hav thought that the AFL would be trying prop up the state leagues to keep them strong for AFL reserves, rather than have players choose suburban leagues which are likely to pay more.

The logic of all this escapes me. Perhaps there is some perceived decline in the quality of them and they want to see stronger suburban leagues. Reducing lists and salary caps will definitely force more players to look elsewhere.

The logic of all this escapes me. Perhaps there is some perceived decline in the quality of them and they want to see stronger suburban leagues. Reducing lists and salary caps will definitely force more players to look elsewhere.
Overall I see the changes as a shift towards prioritising youth development and an AFL reserves league, the former is ironic given that the development league (VFL reserves) was cut in recent years. I certainly agree that a stronger VFL is better for AFL reserve players and on the surface these changes appear likely to weaken the standard of the comp. It's also likely that more players will be lost to AFL footy via a further reduction of opportunity.

Overall I see the changes as a shift towards prioritising youth development and an AFL reserves league, the former is ironic given that the development league (VFL reserves) was cut in recent years. I certainly agree that a stronger VFL is better for AFL reserve players and on the surface these changes appear likely to weaken the standard of the comp. It's also likely that more players will be lost to AFL footy via a further reduction of opportunity.

If they do bring in an AFL reserves league, the rape and pillage of VFA clubs will be complete. It's bloody atrocious - that was an awesome competition, I used to enjoy Williamstown games as much as Collingwood ones.

If they do bring in an AFL reserves league, the rape and pillage of VFA clubs will be complete. It's bloody atrocious - that was an awesome competition, I used to enjoy Williamstown games as much as Collingwood ones.
It's surprising how many diehard fans clubs like Williamstown still have. Unfortunately I didn't see the VFA in it's glory days.

It's surprising how many diehard fans clubs like Williamstown still have. Unfortunately I didn't see the VFA in it's glory days.

I hate Williamstown home ground and glad we are not Aligned with them anymore

Back