Would gavin excell have played the 1989 grand final rematch?

Does gavin excell play in the 89 grand final replay?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but its exell (in honor of the heartfelt plea of vdubs)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We came very close to a drawn grand final in 89 with the end result only 6 points and geelong scoring at will in the last qtr. if the draw happened then surely there would of been pandemonium.

Both teams had enormous injury tolls.

Before blight sensationally dropped star full forward Modra from the 97 finals series he had kind of already pulled the move before. Dropping gavin excell for the semi final despite kicking nearly 4 goals a game throughout the season including 10 against hawthorn.

Despite ablett kicking 10 in the gf (im assuming he would of got the last to give us the draw) would excell have been brought back with all the injuries? Im assuming bourke, stoneham, bruns, schulze miss through injury and porbably or two others and hocking probably suspended.

So does excell make it back in the team? If not who else? If he does where do we play ablett?

So many fascinating scenarios.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
We came very close to a drawn grand final in 89 with the end result only 6 points and geelong scoring at will in the last qtr. if the draw happened then surely there would of been pandemonium.

Both teams had enormous injury tolls.

Before blight sensationally dropped star full forward Modra from the 97 finals series he had kind of already pulled the move before. Dropping gavin excell for the semi final despite kicking nearly 4 goals a game throughout the season including 10 against hawthorn.

Despite ablett kicking 10 in the gf (im assuming he would of got the last to give us the draw) would excell have been brought back with all the injuries? Im assuming bourke, stoneham, bruns, schulze miss through injury and porbably or two others and hocking probably suspended.

So does excell make it back in the team? If not who else? If he does where do we play ablett?

So many fascinating scenarios.
Good thread man. And yes he would of played.
We would of smashed them the next week. Our ressies team made the GF (and the u19's)
Hawks woulda had no Dippa, Dermie, Platten plus more.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Good thread man. And yes he would of played.
We would of smashed them the next week. Our ressies team made the GF (and the u19's)
Hawks woulda had no Dippa, Dermie, Platten plus more.
Seeing gavin excell, Michael kol, Darren troy, Dwayne russell and Morgan come into the side and win premierships that year would of been some awesome icing.

Ok maybe not russell but the other guys definately. I cant remember why Morgan wasnt in the team come finals time.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Dwayne Russell did his knee early in the season.
Excell and Morgan were dropped from the QF for Scott and Cameron.

Kol’s last game for us was R6 vs Hawthorn. Got smashed by Tony Hall and Morrissey.

The latter three were part of our capitulation against the Roys when they went the whack in the second half.

Last edited:

juzcat

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Singapore
AFL Club
Geelong
Did Yeates get suspended. If not, would he have today..Fair bump, below the head, all shoulder and body, how far off the ball... looking at replays maybe 10 to 15m

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Dwayne Russell did his knee early in the season.
Excell and Morgan were dropped from the QF for Scott and Cameron.

Kol’s last game for us was R6 vs Hawthorn. Got smashed by Tony Hall and Morrissey.

The latter three were part of our capitulation against the Royals when they went the whack in the second half.
David Cameron was awful. He wasnt even the best Cameron at the club. Should of kept Morgan in the team.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Who would have missed from our side?

Bourke (inj) Cameron (suspended) who else?
Was Cameron the only one suspended? I surely thought hocking would of gone for his whack on dipper or platten (cant ever who) that the whole crowd saw. Ablett probably lucky to avoid suspension given he charged straight into diper and broke his ribs.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Did Yeates get suspended. If not, would he have today..Fair bump, below the head, all shoulder and body, how far off the ball... looking at replays maybe 10 to 15m

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

If they showed the original vision that was only showed once he would of got suspended for ages. Even for the 80's.
Kneed him a good 2 or 3 times.
Just for the bump, nah he would of been fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Cameron the only one suspended? I surely thought hocking would of gone for his whack on dipper or platten (cant ever who) that the whole crowd saw. Ablett probably lucky to avoid suspension given he charged straight into diper and broke his ribs.
Cameron got 3 weeks and Dipper 5 they were the only suspensions

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Back then, if the ump didn't see it, it didn't happen.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Gavin Excell was a strange player - in that he had ability - in that high scoring game at Princes Park earlier that year (89) against the Hawks - a game i went to - where Geel led by about 9 goals at half time ( should have been 11 goals Robert Scott ( frustrated the shiit out of me he did ) missed a sitter just before h/time - and Haw rushed it down the other end - and Dipper kicked a goal right on the bell to bring the margin back to 9 goals

Excell that day played Full forward that day ( Ablett - it was his 100th game i can remember that - played on a half forward flank ) and played very well and kicked a bag full of goals at full forward - his o/head marking was great

But Excell just somehow lost the ability - ended up going to Fitzroy and didnt do much their either - maybe he lost application - wasnt fit enough got no idea - but he went from a player who could play - to someone who couldnt

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
If they showed the original vision that was only showed once he would of got suspended for ages. Even for the 80's.
Kneed him a good 2 or 3 times.
Just for the bump, nah he would of been fine
Saw that when it happened, never shown again on the day, never seen it on any video clip since, never even gets mentioned.

What did dipper do to get 5?
Budda's jaw got in the road of Dippers elbow on the centre wing
53af282777cdf887b415f40e88358aa4

Cameron's elbow is at 01:37
Dipper's elbow is at 01:44

Last edited:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Saw that when it happened, never shown again on the day, never seen it on any video clip since, never even gets mentioned.
I actually only first saw it a few years ago. A Hawks fan showed it to me. Have never been able to find it on the internet though.
I had no idea! I always thought it was the bump that injured him.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Garry Hocking collected Platten. From memory it was near the end of the first quarter. What has been lost in the last thirty years it that it looked completely innocuous and Hocking did absolutely nothing wrong. The ball just bounced towards Platten and sat up as he went for it. Hocking turned his body (with elbow and arm well and truly tucked in) and took the ball. Tons of feigned outrage over that but it was just one of those things.

Ablett on Dipper is the same. People are so desperate to be offended by it now, but all you need to do is watch the reaction of the Hawthorn defenders. None of them remonstrate with Ablett in the slightest - they knew that was part of the game then.

Looking at that footage again David Cameron's is far worse than anything Hocking or Ablett did. Easily.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
...Despite ablett kicking 10 in the gf (im assuming he would of got the last to give us the draw) would excell have been brought back with all the injuries? Im assuming bourke, stoneham, bruns, schulze miss through injury and porbably or two others and hocking probably suspended...

David Cameron, 2 goals inside the last minute!:p

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeing gavin excell, Michael kol, Darren troy, Dwayne russell and Morgan come into the side and win premierships that year would of been some awesome icing.

Ok maybe not russell but the other guys definately. I cant remember why Morgan wasnt in the team come finals time.

All those guys were sitting out in 89? Far out, thats some nice depth. The old days where 18 yo guys just wouldnt even get a look in, unless they were complete prodigies, because you had 60-70 hardened men at the club.

Back