List Mgmt. Geelong’s looming list profile crisis (it’s not what you think)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the overriding issue we have is the lack of elite players in that younger group coming through. Bit hard to achieve when you haven’t had high draft picks. We will need a couple of elite mids to replace Selwood and Danger (even Kelly) over the next few years, hence I assume Wells’ desire to trade up in this year’s draft - trying to secure one of the elite mids from this draft class.

We lucked out a bit 20 years ago... we not oly decided to bring in a coach and do a major reset..we also had the luck of a very good group of Father sons coming thru..
If this year is an example ..I think we better accept that we will not be aspiring to have single digit draft picks any time soon..if we could not arrange losing kelly then it probably not going to happen.... so thsi yea is a bit of a test... can we find 2 elite players with a good solid bunch of draft picks rather than 1 or 2 picks where we simply must hit ..or else.
So we add 4 , hopefully very good young players this year... and then next year ..maybe we add a FA , maybe a quality OOC mid that we have to trade for to give us a chance of having another 5 years period like Danger has given us. The challenge ... is convincing "the next Danger" the Geelong is the place he wants and needs to be...

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
We lucked out a bit 20 years ago... we not oly decided to bring in a coach and do a major reset..we also had the luck of a very good group of Father sons coming thru..
If this year is an example ..I think we better accept that we will not be aspiring to have single digit draft picks any time soon..if we could not arrange losing kelly then it probably not going to happen.... so thsi yea is a bit of a test... can we find 2 elite players with a good solid bunch of draft picks rather than 1 or 2 picks where we simply must hit ..or else.
So we add 4 , hopefully very good young players this year... and then next year ..maybe we add a FA , maybe a quality OOC mid that we have to trade for to give us a chance of having another 5 years period like Danger has given us. The challenge ... is convincing "the next Danger" the Geelong is the place he wants and needs to be...

Yes, definitely need to make every post a winner in this draft. Critical that Wells picks as you say at least two that go on to be part of the next flag side.

Can’t think who the “next Dsnger” is? Is there another local Geelong boy playing interstate that would be attractive and amenable to moving home? I can’t think of anyone.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, definitely need to make every post a winner in this draft. Critical that Wells picks as you say at least two that go on to be part of the next flag side.

Can’t think who the “next Dsnger” is? Is there another local Geelong boy playing interstate that would be attractive and amenable to moving home? I can’t think of anyone.

In that sense no...but thats taking hope to exteme level is you expect that every 5 years... we have to convince a non go home type or the method will fall over... there is just not enough Ex top 10 , AA Falcons that we can attack and rely on.. and even ideal players ..not every one will return ..think Boak for example.
So ..the likes of Crouch who we were linked to thru the trade period will probably get another run... but can we get a Whitfield or get a McLuggage before he is a FA.

newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
images

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't suppose you or anyone else can translate paywall to English?
Unfortunately I don't have those magical powers :(

I do!! That article was actually written by ex-Hawk Gary Buckenara. Apparently he's a list guru!!

Gary Buckenara analyses Geelong’s list after the 2019 season

List guru Gary Buckenara believes Geelong’s ageing list, even without Tim Kelly, can finish in the top four but he says he is puzzled the Cats didn’t target Paddy Ryder to address their most glaring need — a premium ruckman.

Geelong’s list is ageing but expect the Cats to feature at the pointy end of the season again next year after some smart recruiting and list management.
We know the Cats have superstars — Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Hawkins, they’re all names we’ve loved watching over the years.

But what some might not realise is, list manager Stephen Wells has been planning for the future and developing the next wave of stars for some time.

Geelong has eight players aged 21 or under who I believe can develop into A or B-grade players in the future, which is a huge number for a club that has been contending for premierships, regularly playing finals and has been very active during almost every trade and free agency period.

The beauty of these players, led by Esava Ratugolea, Jordan Clark, Brandan Parfitt and Jack Henry, is they have been able to come in and have an immediate impact. It’s a real credit to Geelong’s coaching and development staff to fast-track these players to help rejuvenate the playing group while still playing finals and contending for premierships...

I do!! That article was actually written by ex-Hawk Gary Buckenara. Apparently he's a list guru!!

Lol Ryder is on his last legs and nowhere near as good as Goldstein.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I think if you draft well this year and get young guns on your list, you would be well placed to attract Jeremy Cameron as a free agent, if he decides to leave sydney.

Ok then. We would be in a shocking spot if he left this year. Probably the worst ever.
We have the highest amount of 18-21 year olds and the highest amount of 30+'s
Has this ever happened before?
We are f**ked.
List distribution of ages very similar to the crows if you take out a couple of seniors

So oldest 22 to take the field not list.
Yep. Facts matter. Having a 36 year old and a 34 year old skews things significantly. In a few weeks both will be gone.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Ok then. We would be in a shocking spot if he left this year. Probably the worst ever.
We are f**ked.

Us five years ago, Hawthorn a couple of years ago.

A couple of free agents to add with our first round picks and we'll be alright.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
We are f**ked.

We're not ****ed and won't be unless there's an exodus of players, coaches, recruiters and front office staff members.

We are f**ked.
At the risk of taking this thread off topic, I posted somewhere last year that the “cliff” we faced was not because of too many old players or not enough young players but because our drafts from 2010 to 2015 failed to hit the mark. We took 23 national draft selections in that period, including four first round picks, and only Guthrie, Bews, Kolo, Cockatoo and Menegola remain. It was the dark years for Stephen Wells and it has left a structural problem with our list in mid-20s aged players.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Us five years ago, Hawthorn a couple of years ago.

A couple of free agents to add with our first round picks and we'll be alright.
Oh s**t. Oh well at least Hawthorn tried to copy us and their gonna be screwed for ages too.
So we kind of brought them down which is good.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
At the risk of taking this thread off topic, I posted somewhere last year that the “cliff” we faced was not because of too many old players or not enough young players but because our drafts from 2010 to 2015 failed to hit the mark. We took 23 national draft selections in that period, including four first round picks, and only Guthrie, Bews, Kolo, Cockatoo and Menegola remain. It was the dark years for Stephen Wells and it has left a structural problem with our list in mid-20s aged players.
The problem is too many old players and too many young players at the same time.
We have the most of both.
Yeah as you say the Cocky, Lang, Thurlow era hurt us. And then this year we even used our first pick on a player who had a long term injury.
So Wells hasn't learned yet.
The wasted opportunity of the Ablett picks even though a bonus didn't help too.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Could argue though, that we drafted mature agers like O'Connor, Stew, Atkins, Kelly in that time, and then traded in Dahl, Rohan, Danger, Tuohy, Hendo, all in their prime. Even if we'd drafted some good 18 year olds in the earlier part of that period, they'd still be around 26-28 now. If we bring in a couple of players like Cameron and Crouch in that age bracket, then we haven't really 'lost' anything, per se

The problem is too many old players and too many young players at the same time.
We have the most of both.
Yeah as you say the Cocky, Lang, Thurlow era hurt us. And then this year we even used our first pick on a player who had a long term injury.
So Wells hasn't learned yet.
The wasted opportunity of the Ablett picks even though a bonus didn't help too.
Too many old players is only a problem if you have to replace them with 18 year olds.

Back