You’re AFL President for 10 years, what direction do you take the league into?

Remove this Banner Ad

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me,

Decision number 1 - reduce the amount of victorian teams and increased the amount of interstate teams in the AFL competition. My focus would be ultimately make this a truly national competition and completely cut through the VFL ties on the competition.

- Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton remain untouched.

- Retain Melbourne Demons, first ever club in aussie rules, maintain them for the history of the first ever club...nah kidding, cull them, this is my league and I get to make this decision.

They’re economical viable, through success and failure and that’s important here. They’re the backbone to the competition and their supporter bases are very large which will support the league throughout this change.

-Western Bulldogs, relocate them to W.A, where they can keep their name because well...They’re in the west of Australia, I would hire a team to find the proper area in W.A to relocate them. WA is strong enough for three teams. Instantly benefits Fremantle and West Coast, who will both play less Victorian games and a few more WA games.

- Relegate St. Kilda to a VFL team, their lack of success for the past 120 years is more than enough of a reason. (We’re down to 17 teams now)

- Northern Territory Kangaroos (red kangaroo as their mascot) to be christened as the first team from N.T where they can play games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Etc. Now we’re getting truly national. This is the relocation of North Melbourne.

- Coaster Cats (with a cat on a surf board as it’s mascot) will be Geelongs relocation and the end of Gold Coast Suns. Coaster Cats or ‘cats of the coast’ will done the wonderful Geelong colours and carry Geelongs history. Which works well for Gary Ablett too. They’ll represent a wider margin of the coast which includes The Sunshine Coast and Cairns, they can play home games along those major parts of the coast and give more people the opportunity to attend games. We’ve eliminated Gold Coast so we’re down to 16 teams now) Go Coasters

-Relocate Hawthorn to Tasmania, calling them Tasmanian Hawks, keeping the colours and the history.

- Include a third and fourth SANFL team in the AFL, to provide a passionate South Australia a great third team. Would allow all current clubs to vote on either Sturt, Norwood, South Adelaide, North Adelaide and West Adelaide

- Include another WAFL club - Subiaco based on history and success.

- Brisbane to rebrand to the Bears, Fitzroy Lions revived in a new and improved VFL competition, which will now include Melbourne Demons, Hawthorn Hawks, North Melbourne Kangaroos, Geelong Cats, St. Kilda Saints and Footscray Bulldogs, University to return too.

Overall -
VICTORIA
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers

TASMANIA
Tasmania Hawks

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Football Club
South Adelaide Panthers (?)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Lions

QUEENSLAND
Brisbane Bears
Coaster Cats

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Northern Territory Kangaroos

NEW SOUTH WALES
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Sydney Swans

2. Bring back state of origin.

3. Bring back Champions of Australia tournament to include top teams of all state leagues to go against the top teams of the national league.

4. Fund grassroots and state leagues to make them produce great talent, have state games as curtain raisers to AFL games to give fans more value and players more opportunity to be seen by a wider audience.

5. review fixture, every team to play each other once, teams from same state to play each other twice for 22 games per year, won’t be perfectly fair, but wayyyyyyyy better than current system.

6. work with state governments to increase capacity to adelaide oval and Perth stadium, grand finals to be played in the state of the finalist that wins the right to a home advantage, won’t work for tassie, and Northern Territory because of small stadiums

7. Give myself a pay rise for creating an equal competition.

8. Rewrite history to make VFL premierships stand as VFL premierships and AFL premierships to remain as AFL premierships, for example, Collingwood will only have two AFL premierships 1990 and 2010, whilst they’ll have 13 VFL premierships.

9. Support former AFL sides in their relegated leagues financially.

10. Rebuild Victoria Park and increase capacity to be Collingwoods home ground, same with Optus Oval for Carlton, Richmond to stay at the MCG, and build a brand new stadium in Tulla for the bombers. Work together with clubs, state and government to fund these, provide facilities for the community to use.

11. ban clubs from investing in gaming.
And I retire, boom,

Love the pumping up of South Australia but we are but 7% of Australias population not sure we could accommodate more than 2 teams

Just imagine this logic with AFLX

2 rectangular fields that overlap.

4 sets of goals.

4 teams.

2 balls BUT in the last 5 mins of each half the rainbow SUPER BALL is dropped in for all 4 teams to fight over. SUPERBALL is worth 5 goals but can only be scored with once.

Lets get this rolling team!

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, I'll play.

The OP is correct that there are too many Victorian teams. So relegate 6 of them to the VFL/VFA whatever, then each year there is promotion/relegation for Vic teams only.

Voila, problem solved, The AFL goes back to 12 sides, none of the clubs are killed off, and they all have the opportunity of making it back to the big league if they're good enough.

Something like that, anyway.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
For me,

Decision number 1 - reduce the amount of victorian teams and increased the amount of interstate teams in the AFL competition. My focus would be ultimately make this a truly national competition and completely cut through the VFL ties on the competition.

- Retain Melbourne Demons, first ever club in aussie rules, maintain them for the history of the first ever club...nah kidding, cull them, this is my league and I get to make this decision.

They’re economical viable, through success and failure and that’s important here. They’re the backbone to the competition and their supporter bases are very large which will support the league throughout this change.

-Western Bulldogs, relocate them to W.A, where they can keep their name because well...They’re in the west of Australia, I would hire a team to find the proper area in W.A to relocate them. WA is strong enough for three teams. Instantly benefits Fremantle and West Coast, who will both play less Victorian games and a few more WA games.

- Relegate St. Kilda to a VFL team, their lack of success for the past 120 years is more than enough of a reason. (We’re down to 17 teams now)

- Northern Territory Kangaroos (red kangaroo as their mascot) to be christened as the first team from N.T where they can play games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Etc. Now we’re getting truly national. This is the relocation of North Melbourne.

- Coaster Cats (with a cat on a surf board as it’s mascot) will be Geelongs relocation and the end of Gold Coast Suns. Coaster Cats or ‘cats of the coast’ will done the wonderful Geelong colours and carry Geelongs history. Which works well for Gary Ablett too. They’ll represent a wider margin of the coast which includes The Sunshine Coast and Cairns, they can play home games along those major parts of the coast and give more people the opportunity to attend games. We’ve eliminated Gold Coast so we’re down to 16 teams now) Go Coasters

-Relocate Hawthorn to Tasmania, calling them Tasmanian Hawks, keeping the colours and the history.

- Include a third and fourth SANFL team in the AFL, to provide a passionate South Australia a great third team. Would allow all current clubs to vote on either Sturt, Norwood, South Adelaide, North Adelaide and West Adelaide

- Brisbane to rebrand to the Bears, Fitzroy Lions revived in a new and improved VFL competition, which will now include Melbourne Demons, Hawthorn Hawks, North Melbourne Kangaroos, Geelong Cats, St. Kilda Saints and Footscray Bulldogs, University to return too.

Overall -
VICTORIA
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers

TASMANIA
Tasmania Hawks

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Football Club

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Lions

QUEENSLAND
Brisbane Bears
Coaster Cats

NORTHERN TERRITORY

NEW SOUTH WALES
Sydney Swans

3. Bring back Champions of Australia tournament to include top teams of all state leagues to go against the top teams of the national league.

4. Fund grassroots and state leagues to make them produce great talent, have state games as curtain raisers to AFL games to give fans more value and players more opportunity to be seen by a wider audience.

5. review fixture, every team to play each other once, teams from same state to play each other twice for 22 games per year, won’t be perfectly fair, but wayyyyyyyy better than current system.

6. work with state governments to increase capacity to adelaide oval and Perth stadium, grand finals to be played in the state of the finalist that wins the right to a home advantage, won’t work for tassie, and Northern Territory because of small stadiums

8. Rewrite history to make VFL premierships stand as VFL premierships and AFL premierships to remain as AFL premierships, for example, Collingwood will only have two AFL premierships 1990 and 2010, whilst they’ll have 13 VFL premierships.

10. Rebuild Victoria Park and increase capacity to be Collingwoods home ground, same with Optus Oval for Carlton, Richmond to stay at the MCG, and build a brand new stadium in Tulla for the bombers. Work together with clubs, state and government to fund these, provide facilities for the community to use.

And I retire, boom,

That’s outrageous

Roaming Lou

Senior List
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
2 rectangular fields that overlap.

4 sets of goals.

4 teams.

2 balls BUT in the last 5 mins of each half the rainbow SUPER BALL is dropped in for all 4 teams to fight over. SUPERBALL is worth 5 goals but can only be scored with once.

Lets get this rolling team!
Hey you stole the idea for Rocket League AFL edition!

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
If that’s your main gripe then you must thing this is a good way to turn the competition natural?
I think he was picking one point - subi have a small fanbase - they do well as they were made wealthy by virtue of drinks at subi oval but thats over now.

You would struggle to get enough traction with any wafl club now - when it has been discussed on our board a west perth / east perth merger was deemed the only thing that would get enough people to make it viable - but thats like suggesting carlton and essendon/ collingwood merge as far as hating each others guts go. I grew up as black and blue as can be and i hate the idea of merging with the garlic munchers - id rather my club stay wafl.

The next trouble with wa is we dont have a big enough town outside of perth - if bunbury hit 400000 one day maybe.

I honestly see a third club in perth to be just another minnow meh that will end up on a drip.

2 clubs in a city our size is heaps - new york has 2 nfl teams - 3 if you include the state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I’d do the following:

- continue to grow the women’s game; building stronger connections and the mass appeal of the sport. This is priority #1 for me and involves building the quality and quantity of games until they can run a full 22 game season as professionals alongside the men - probably a 15 year plan. Full investment in marketing, coaching and elite fitness development to get these on par with the men’s side

- Institute a national reserves competition ASAP with a pathway for under 21s as well

- Expand to Tasmania. Fully invest in GC and GWS. Consider options for further expansion to 20 teams

- institute rule changes to promote higher scoring; In particular a bonus point for reaching 100, and tough restrictions on physical contact by defenders in marking contests (no contact unless the ball is within 10m).

- Also bring in last touch OOB, and get rid of the prior opportunity rule for htb to force players to keep the ball moving. Get rid of mandated rucks and allow 3rd man up again.

- Faze our, and then cut, all ties with gambling advertising and ban gambling links from broadcasts. Begin doing the same with liquor

- fund and support broadcasts of AFL matches onto TV globally - in particular China, India, the rising parts of Africa; and South America. Develop a 50 year plan for international expansion with 5 year attainable targets mapped out

- Renegotiate so that 1x Grand Final in every 4 years is played interstate, roaring through SA, WA and NSW.

- No more AFLX or other stupid gimmicky preseason stuff. preseason is just 3x games

- Trial a double elimination (repecharge) style tournament for the last 2 wildcard spots; ie the bottom 12 teams play a knockout (with one lifeline) tournament over 5 weeks until 2 teams remain - eliminated teams play one final practice game with only players under 28 eligible (and new rules trialled) then pack up for the year

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Bunch of ******* idiots think killing clubs in footy heartland is a good idea. There are more Fitzroy supporters lost to footy permanently than Gold Coast and GWS members combined, I guarantee you
Permanently?

They are immortal ?? Zounds tell me more!!!!

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me,

Overall -
VICTORIA
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers

TASMANIA
Tasmania Hawks

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Football Club

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Lions

QUEENSLAND
Brisbane Bears
Coaster Cats

NORTHERN TERRITORY

NEW SOUTH WALES
Sydney Swans

And I retire, boom,

I’m not sure about ‘AFL President’, but if you’ve been AFC President for 10 years you find a way to sink the club‘s footy dept even further down the shitter. In Chappo we trust, go Rob, 10 more years!!!

Roaming Lou

Senior List
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Permanently?

They are immortal ?? Zounds tell me more!!!!
Well he has a point, you can't expect to just press the delete button on half the teams and not have an absolute enviable sh*tstorm happen. It might even go as far as a break away league forming or clubs completely trashing their economy's before they move as a big f*ck you to the AFL.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Well he has a point, you can't expect to just press the delete button on half the teams and not have an absolute enviable sh*tstorm happen. It might even go as far as a break away league forming or clubs completely trashing their economy's before they move as a big f*ck you to the AFL.
I would never advocate just dropping teams

But id put an end to established teams getting handouts. You wanna live you move.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I’d be overhauling the rulebook. Not necessarily trying to change the rules but eliminate the grey areas which have crept into every area of the game. Then have a 5 year rule-change-free period, to prevent knee jerk rule changes.
I’d make umpires full time and pump up the pay, trying to promote the pathway into umpiring a something many people can aspire to, which will hopefully lead to significant improvement to the pool of umpires, while being full time will help improve the consistency of those who are already umpiring.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I’d be overhauling the rulebook. Not necessarily trying to change the rules but eliminate the grey areas which have crept into every area of the game. Then have a 5 year rule-change-free period, to prevent knee jerk rule changes.
I’d make umpires full time and pump up the pay, trying to promote the pathway into umpiring a something many people can aspire to, which will hopefully lead to significant improvement to the pool of umpires, while being full time will help improve the consistency of those who are already umpiring.
All of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back