Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great post!! Draft time always sparks debate.

Kysaiah Pickett would be a great pick up imo, but won't last until pick #43. I like the cut of his jib, reminds me of a Liam Ryan.

Just a thought...if the players we are targeting in the ND have already been selected before pick #9, should consider brokering a deal with GCS...our pick #9 for 2019 pick #20, and their 2020 second round pick (likely again to be pick #20 before all the academy picks etc). Possibly a 2020 3rd round pick coming back their way.

We pick up Pickett this year with pick #20, and in 2020 we package our two 2nd round picks for a 1st round pick...paving the way for a trade for a Papley or Wines given we'd have two 1st round picks.

So in 2019 we pick up Eddie, Pitto, Martin, Newnes and Pickett....next year we jag Papley and/or Wines with a few 1st rounders and some future picks.

Just finished re watching the SA vs Allies game and I’m even more convinced we need to get Pickett, need to try and get an earlier pick than 43 as I can’t see him getting that far, something in the late 20s early 30s should get it done hopefully.
Just has elite hands and his ground ball work is exceptional, makes fast and correct decisions to release his teammates with his handballs and doesn’t miss his target, actually had the highest ranking points for the game equal with Stephens with 127, just a very smart and tidy small forward that will be elite at goal assists at AFL level, will no doubt spend time in the midfield as he gets bigger as those hands and his side step along with his vision and decision making will do serious damage around stoppages, very surprised he isn’t rated a lot higher I personally would have him rated in the early second round let’s hope some other clubs don’t feel the same, will be disappointed if we don’t get him to be Eddies sidekick as every superhero needs a sidekick.

Just finished re watching the SA vs Allies game and I’m even more convinced we need to get Pickett, need to try and get an earlier pick than 43 as I can’t see him getting that far, something in the late 20s early 30s should get it done hopefully.
Just has elite hands and his ground ball work is exceptional, makes fast and correct decisions to release his teammates with his handballs and doesn’t miss his target, actually had the highest ranking points for the game equal with Stephens with 127, just a very smart and tidy small forward that will be elite at goal assists at AFL level, will no doubt spend time in the midfield as he gets bigger as those hands and his side step along with his vision and decision making will do serious damage around stoppages, very surprised he isn’t rated a lot higher I personally would have him rated in the early second round let’s hope some other clubs don’t feel the same, will be disappointed if we don’t get him to be Eddies sidekick as every superhero needs a sidekick.
One of our itk's suggested that we could look at trading if our targets may not be available at pick #9...I wouldn't mind at all if we trade with GCS if it benefits us in getting a player like Pickett, as well as potentially landing Martin without the crazy ****er Cochrane being obstructionist.

They have been pretty open about trading up in the draft for another top 10 pick - I'd be happy with #15 and 20, possibly with some other future swaps to seal the deal.

One of our itk's suggested that we could look at trading if our targets may not be available at pick #9...I wouldn't mind at all if we trade with GCS if it benefits us in getting a player like Pickett, as well as potentially landing Martin without the crazy ****er Cochrane being obstructionist.

They have been pretty open about trading up in the draft for another top 10 pick - I'd be happy with #15 and 20, possibly with some other future swaps to seal the deal.

Yeah totally agree I think unless there is a player that we absolutely rate and need I think a deal with GC or multiple others would be a great move, could also do it with Hawks for there pick 11 and 30 if they want to ensure a pick before McGinness or even better for us if we could do it with Freo who would be very nervous about Henry although we would have to make them think we will bid on Henry as they would only move up one spot, but 10 and 22 would be very juicy for us maybe we throw in 43 as a sweetener, that would be the ideal trade for us. There is also Port who might want Stephens who definitely won’t be there at 12 but could very well be there at 9, a trade for 12 & 29 would be a good deal for us as well.
There is a plethora of options for SOS and the boys to consider which is going to make for an exciting draft period for us, of course we can just use 9 and then trade into the second round during the break between day1 and day2 where the first 3 picks of the second round changed hands last year, I would think this is probably the option SOS will take as he sounds pretty set on using 9 although we might be forced to do a pick swap deal with GC to secure Martin which lets them save face, who knows not us that’s for sure.

Last edited:
I've almost convinced myself that this will happen -

CFC give up #9 and a future second for #15 & #20
Carlton get Martin but GC come out looking strong getting the top ten pick they claimed to want along with a future pick they'll tell us they'll need.
Carlton quietly come out with a win. Gold Coast look like they're able to manufacture what they wanted. The AFL are quietly appeased.

Almost as though it's been orchestrated already. :)

I've almost convinced myself that this will happen -

CFC give up #9 and a future second for #15 & #20
Carlton get Martin but GC come out looking strong getting the top ten pick they claimed to want along with a future pick they'll tell us they'll need.
Carlton quietly come out with a win. Gold Coast look like they're able to manufacture what they wanted. The AFL are quietly appeased.

Almost as though it's been orchestrated already. :)

That would be a piss weak effort from Carlton.

Inclined to agree - 9 and future third at most.

Still looks OK for Gold Coast, it's become somewhat commmonplace for clubs looking to move up the draft order to pay "overs" to get there.

9 and future third (~45) for 15 and 20.
They let Martin through to us (which, lets be honest, isn't them doing us a favour, it's them doing the right thing).

Use 15 on a Williams, Rivers, Roberston, Gould or Taheny.

Hold 20 til Day 2 of the draft, see which clubs come hardest for it when someone they like slips beyond the first round. See if we can slide back a few spots to the mid 20s and upgrade a future pick in the process. Then grab Taylor or reach for Pickett.

I want us to continue to be brave with the draft & trading.
I loved the Stocker move last year - brave.
Gibbons was a win.
Pushing *don to the limits re Shiel was fantastic.
Holding our nerve re Martin and telling Ellis to get stuffed was brave.

Now we need more:
1. Look at all options re pick 9 -
a) OPTION 1: if a club is desperate for it, and willing to pay overs...do it..either on the night or before it.
b) OPTION 2: we will no doubt have a couple of players in mind for this pick..if one is still available draft him.
c) OPTION 3: if we go in on draft night with pick 9 & all the players we rate at this pick are gone..do a deal that may not be option 1, but suits OUR needs

2. Play hard ball with GCS re Martin - take him for nothing
  • GGS don't want to re draft him - he has told them he won't be there and he won't
  • they stuffed up during trade period trying to shaft us
  • the AFL would be angry/embarrassed that GCS used the AFL's new assistance package as a reason to knock back our offer

3. Look at drafting high risk/high return players:
Murray & Bennell are ready made AFL players - lets back our system/leaders/culture in to support these players
Rookie or Draft players like Gray, Keays, Robertson etc - players that fill needs and are ready-made AFL players

4. Only draft a couple of kids. Back the ones we have and fill up with ready-made players.

5. We then chase another big fish next year.

It's time.

Why? If we are to engage in some 'good will' that nets an everybody wins scenario, why is it a bad deal for Carlton, if indeed we'd be happy to trade the #9 for the #15 and #20, which I now feel makes for perfect sense?

Is it the pick in the 30's next year that you consider to be too much for Martin in the scheme of things?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing Dylan Buckley and Rice get cut from their respective clubs and Kerr being let go, I am hopeful all would be offered a spot at the NBs

I would love to see the Northern Blues actively go after Carlton affiliated players, skill depending obviously. I think it would really build a sense of the NBs being a part of the club and a bit of romance as well.

Could this work long term?

Why? If we are to engage in some 'good will' that nets an everybody wins scenario, why is it a bad deal for Carlton, if indeed we'd be happy to trade the #9 for the #15 and #20, which I now feel makes for perfect sense?

Is it the pick in the 30's next year that you consider to be too much for Martin in the scheme of things?

Harks, I’m a firm believer in fair trading.
We offered an industry wide accepted fair deal for an OOC player with 7 years of service on the clock during the trade period which GC unreasonably refused on the back of huge AFL assistance.
There is absolutely no requirement for Carlton to wilt in this case for some perceived display of “good will”.
Carlton would lose no face in the industry under the circumstances of this case in following through with the common sense scenario of simply walking Martin through the PSD.
This situation is now totally the making of Gold Coast football club and they must live with and be responsible for their performance here.
If Carlton decide they want to trade pick 9 down with another club then that’s another matter but take Martin out of any equation.
Martin should now come to Carlton via the PSD for free as Carlton would only be playing the cards they have been dealt.

We offered an industry wide accepted fair deal for an OOC player with 7 years of service on the clock during the trade period which GC unreasonably refused on the back of huge AFL assistance.
There is absolutely no requirement for Carlton to wilt in this case for some perceived display of “good will”.
Carlton would lose no face in the industry under the circumstances of this case in following through with the common sense scenario of simply walking Martin through the PSD.
This situation is now totally the making of Gold Coast football club and they must live with and be responsible for their performance here.
If Carlton decide they want to trade pick 9 down with another club then that’s another matter but take Martin out of any equation.
Martin should now come to Carlton via the PSD for free as Carlton would only be playing the cards they have been dealt.
In the deal that Harker put forward, it is 9 and a later pick for 15 & 20 - we would still secure Martin via the PSD, the benefit for Carlton is that we'd get two cracks at a reasonably even draft while GCS would secure the top 10 pick that they're after.
While GCS were frustrating during the trade period, I'd like to think that we can put emotion to the side when making decisions that can strengthen our squad.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the deal that Harker put forward, it is 9 and a later pick for 15 & 20 - we would still secure Martin via the PSD, the benefit for Carlton is that we'd get two cracks at a reasonably even draft while GCS would secure the top 10 pick that they're after.
While GCS were frustrating during the trade period, I'd like to think that we can put emotion to the side when making decisions that can strengthen our squad.

Im assuming Harks is angling to have GC delist Martin.

I think that the CFC would like for Martin to know that everything is OK about him getting to us, sooner than later.
I'd be very surprised should we or even GC now wish engage in a war of wills.

Martin aside, I'm now leaning towards selling off our pick #9 for #15 and #20 regardless and it me even be fair for GC to ask for a little more.
Don't you think?

The scenario I put forward makes sense to me for all the reasons outlined.
It may well not come to be, but I can see why the 'greater powers' would like to see it come about.

EDIT: Yes Red Bull GC do the 'right thing' we do the 'right thing' and the AFL are all smiles.

I think that the CFC would like for Martin to know that everything is OK about him getting to us, sooner than later.
I'd be very surprised should we or even GC now wish engage in a war of wills.

Martin aside, I'm now leaning towards selling off our pick #9 for #15 and #20 regardless and it me even be fair for GC to ask for a little more.
Don't you think?

The scenario I put forward makes sense to me for all the reasons outlined.
It may well not come to be, but I can see why the 'greater powers' would like to see it come about.

EDIT: Yes Red Bull GC do the 'right thing' we do the 'right thing' and the AFL are all smiles.

If GC want 9 then it should just be for 15&20 straight up If Carlton fancy that.
Take Martin out of any equation.
Martin will get to Carlton via the PSD.
Martin knows this ... everyone knows this.
If we do decide to deal down 9, Fremantle and Hawthorn are the clubs id be in discussions with ...

He may well be but ultimately, looking at it this way:
In: Martin, 15, 20
Out: 9 and a future second

Would we really be that mad?

We get him for free via the PSD.
You are asking us to accept pick 9 and a future 2nd for 15&20 ... Pass !!

We get him for free via the PSD.
You are asking us to accept pick 9 and a future 2nd for 15&20 ... Pass !!
That's fine, you're obviously entitled to your views.
From watching quite a bit of u18s this year I'm quite confident that we could secure a similarly talented player at 15 as we would at 9.
The whole premise would be predicated on who is actually available at those picks as well, for example if one of the more highly touted players were to slide through to our pick it's doubtful that we'd look to trade back without a particularly favourable package of picks coming back our way.
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back