Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Good game from Eggy yesterday, he certainly has some good attributes. Love the way he moves, has very good disposal & puts his body on the line. Good to see him get to enjoy the VFL premiership. Hopefully better things to come in the following seasons, as he could be very good with the right players around him.

Impressive during the finals.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Twinkle toes. He has that Bolton/Edwards evasiveness. Looks like a player.
My words exactly...impressed by the way he keeps holding onto the footy looking for leads made up field...has that important dollop of 'composure'... :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Derek has come so far so quickly and looks like he has what it takes to transition higher. Played no U18 TAC except a few games as an overage player in 2017. Had a good year as a free wheeling half back as a 17 year old in the seniors in the Sunraysia League seniors, but not a defensive bone in his body. Then last year out all season with a leg injury only to be unfairly dropped into the heat of the finals (and was awful). So to see him step up again in the heat of that final was exceptional. Has a few things to iron out, but not many young players have come so far so quickly.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
will be in if broad fails concussion tests
Na if he doesnt get up it will probably be McIntosh or failing that Balta. We arent a tall backline as it is and Broad more often than not has had to play tall.
There is no way we will only play two defenders over 190cm especially against Gws.

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Na if he doesnt get up it will probably be McIntosh or failing that Balta. We arent a tall backline as it is and Broad more often than not has had to play tall.
There is no way we will only play two defenders over 190cm especially against Gws.

Spot on. I think KMac is probably the next in if Broad doesn't get up. Wouldn't be shocked to see him named for Jack Graham either. I think he's the perfect in for the GF, but I don't sit on the Match Committee.

Nov 30, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg
Spot on. I think KMac is probably the next in if Broad doesn't get up. Wouldn't be shocked to see him named for Jack Graham either. I think he's the perfect in for the GF, but I don't sit on the Match Committee.

100% agree on kmac, GWS have been playing rough and he is the perfect type of player to respond to that

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Eggs final series really showed the level of maturity he has in big games . He moves like a Ferrari and uses the ball beautifully and has put on some muscle so he’s no pushover now. I had him as an exciting HFF three years ago and now he could be Houli’s replacement bc of his ability to read the play, fend and push off as well as deliver with precision.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Eggmolesse-Smith and Aarts sign on for 2020
richmondfc.com.au

Oct 28, 2019 4:23PM

2_16GCRi19BK915088096.JPG

Exciting young duo, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith and Jake Aarts, have re-committed for season 2020.

Eggmolesse-Smith, 21, was the first player drafted under Richmond’s Next Generation Academy program when he was selected in the 2018 Rookie Draft.

Playing at half-back, Eggmolesse-Smith made two senior appearances in the 2019 season, debuting in Round 16 against the Gold Coast where he had 19 disposals, four rebound-50s and three tackles.

1_16GCRi19BK922338407.JPG

Aarts, 24, was placed on the 2019 rookie list after playing in the VFL for six years. A small forward with silky skills and great pressure, he continues to impress and improve.

Richmond List Manager, Blair Hartley, said both players are exciting prospects and important to the team’s future plans.

“We are excited to have Jake and Derek sign on for season 2020,” he said.

“Both players are hardworking and have shown to be consistent performers at VFL level.

“They are talented and exciting to watch and we look forward to seeing them progress and improve.”

aarts1.jpg

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Aartsy is behind quite a few , fairly physical small forward , doesn’t have the pace of Bolton Rioli or George . Prob more like Higgo and baker , a few shades off their level though , good luck to him , seems like a popular lad
Dan Butler did play 7 games this year, you'd think that Aarts would be in contention for those games if they became available next year.
Depends how Higgins goes with his recovery I guess, but I imagine he should get a chance to prove himself at the level next year

Dan Butler did play 7 games this year, you'd think that Aarts would be in contention for those games if they became available next year.
Depends how Higgins goes with his recovery I guess, but I imagine he should get a chance to prove himself at the level next year

Would not expect Higgins to play next season, so games might open up. Would like to see Aarts given a shot at it if earned through 2020. Plenty of players like him find that extra when stepping up, I wouldn't be putting limits on him just yet.

Egg will be a great contributor eventually, stepping up behind Houli.

Pleased these boys will be around in 2020

Last edited:
Back