What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the fact he's so different to many other AFL media. IIRC he was the lone voice in having Tom Boyd no 2 in his draft year, backing in a late season bolter named Marcus to be his no 1.

Didnt he put together the Hawks team before Pelcham took over? Knew what he was doing if he did.

DelRe

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I doubt that - the fact that he has Dunkley the same level as Dickson is enough to show that isnt at all how he is approaching things.

Take the point that Wood's influence isn't something that can be pinned down by a basic statistical analysis.
I find there’s a huge amount of bias against Dickson in these forums. Just my view but he is a very good small forward, hampered by injury admittedly, but consistently delivers in key games. There just seems to be this rush to be the first person to label a player as ‘cooked’ (which is close to my least favorite footy jargon). I don’t necessarily have an objection to the assessment if you take the view that players can be on different trajectories passing through a category.

Anyway, this surprised me as being the one that was jumped on as demonstrating poor judgment rather than rating Ben Cavarra above previous premiership players when he’s never even played a game at AFL level. That to me is the more bizarre assessment.

I find there’s a huge amount of bias against Dickson in these forums. Just my view but he is a very good small forward, hampered by injury admittedly, but consistently delivers in key games. There just seems to be this rush to be the first person to label a player as ‘cooked’ (which is close to my least favorite footy jargon). I don’t necessarily have an objection to the assessment if you take the view that players can be on different trajectories passing through a category.

Anyway, this surprised me as being the one that was jumped on as demonstrating poor judgment rather than rating Ben Cavarra above previous premiership players when he’s never even played a game at AFL level. That to me is the more bizarre assessment.
We're not talking about differing interpretation on Dickson, of which nobody is denying exists. Just that it's entirely factual that the Dogs selection committee chose not to re-include him for the GWS game, preferencing Rhylee West for an almost idential role and position, where Rhylee West, whilst showing signs as a good player, was still a teenager playing his third game of footy.

Dunkley, on the other hand, made the All-Australian squad of 40 players, had multiple games at AFL level this season where he was best on ground, and carried a back-half of about 15-16 games that arguably was in the top 10-15 midfielders in the entire competition for that patch of 15-odd games.

Putting them in the same category, that's clearly more preposterous than any assessment of if one fringe player is better than one other fringe player.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didnt he put together the Hawks team before Pelcham took over? Knew what he was doing if he did.
He did have a big involvement in footy. Now he just writes at trade time and obviously doesnt watch as much as he used to.

For the last 5 or so years he has been collecting a pay check and the quality of his work is evident.

It's the kind of piece that passes to non dogs fans. All his pieces are like that.

DelRe

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We're not talking about differing interpretation on Dickson, of which nobody is denying exists. Just that it's entirely factual that the Dogs selection committee chose not to re-include him for the GWS game, preferencing Rhylee West for an almost idential role and position, where Rhylee West, whilst showing signs as a good player, was still a teenager playing his third game of footy.

Dunkley, on the other hand, made the All-Australian squad of 40 players, had multiple games at AFL level this season where he was best on ground, and carried a back-half of about 15-16 games that arguably was in the top 10-15 midfielders in the entire competition for that patch of 15-odd games.

Putting them in the same category, that's clearly more preposterous than any assessment of if one fringe player is better than one other fringe player.
Not fully accurate though. Dickson wasn’t dropped. He’d played 10 consecutive games before injured which to me, given his seniority and finals record, suggests it was more likely they didn’t think he was fit enough to return for the EF.

Similarly the ‘fringe player’ you’re referring to is Zaine Cordy who did play in the game (and every other game bar one in the year) being ranked below Ben Cavarra. All a matter of opinion but that seems far more illogical.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
They lost Bruce and Steven. IMO their two best players. I would give them a C but at least this analysis wasn’t an A like the others.

The media fawning is because of the volume rather than quality of the players they recruited.

Did they recruit because they had to been seen to be doing something or like us to fill specific needs?

I think we all know the answer. Anyway, they won trade week so we’ll see how that works out.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Some good analysis but brief on the dogs. Saints get lower mark than elsewhere and Crows get whacked!

My issues for the Saints are the value propositions. They got Zak Jones for cheap but overpaid for Hill and didn't get enough for Steven or Bruce.
And outside of that as a team I'm not sure even make the top 8, they're digging too far into their draft hand with nothing meaningful left this year, trading everything but their first rounder for next year, and only last year having pick 4 inside the top 40.

Dogs are fairly simple to analyse. KPPs needed and good talls added at each end for a good price. A good smaller forward could also have been added potentially, and maybe a late play could have been made for Papley once it was obviously Carlton were not going to get him, if the Dogs really wanted to lift themselves into premiership contention. But filling needs to a good standard at unders, it's a good trade period.

Crows losing talent and adding no first round picks in the process isn't a good outcome for them, particularly with fairly shallow drafts this year and next year outside the first round.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My issues for the Saints are the value propositions. They got Zak Jones for cheap but overpaid for Hill and didn't get enough for Steven or Bruce.
And outside of that as a team I'm not sure even make the top 8, they're digging too far into their draft hand with nothing meaningful left this year, trading everything but their first rounder for next year, and only last year having pick 4 inside the top 40.

Dogs are fairly simple to analyse. KPPs needed and good talls added at each end for a good price. A good smaller forward could also have been added potentially, and maybe a late play could have been made for Papley once it was obviously Carlton were not going to get him, if the Dogs really wanted to lift themselves into premiership contention. But filling needs to a good standard at unders, it's a good trade period.

Crows losing talent and adding no first round picks in the process isn't a good outcome for them, particularly with fairly shallow drafts this year and next year outside the first round.

Pick 13 will be a winger OR small forward. Martin & Papley both chose an impotent Carlton.... we would have liked either. Perhaps more players will think harder next year and see the Dogs as a destination of choice.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Pick 13 will be a winger OR small forward. Martin & Papley both chose an impotent Carlton.... we would have liked either. Perhaps more players will think harder next year and see the Dogs as a destination of choice.

Agree with you Martin and Papley would have been ideal for the Dogs would have been an ideal situation to join.

Dogs have a lot of surplus mids with more good ones than can fit through there. It wouldn't be hard to flip some of them with picks for either of those guys.

Perhaps the Dogs could have approached both players and let me them know if trades with Carlton don't work out, let us know if you'd be happy coming here and we can facilitate a trade as we feel you're missing pieces to our next run at a premiership. Whether the Dogs did that I have no idea, but that's the way if they didn't, I certainly would have approached it.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree with you Martin and Papley would have been ideal for the Dogs would have been an ideal situation to join.

Dogs have a lot of surplus mids with more good ones than can fit through there. It wouldn't be hard to flip some of them with picks for either of those guys.

Perhaps the Dogs could have approached both players and let me them know if trades with Carlton don't work out, let us know if you'd be happy coming here and we can facilitate a trade as we feel you're missing pieces to our next run at a premiership. Whether the Dogs did that I have no idea, but that's the way if they didn't, I certainly would have approached it.
Sam Power was asked if we considered making a late play for Martin. He said no as it’s very hard to persuade someone who has already nominated another club. I can’t see Bevo wanting a player that turned us down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Power was asked if we considered making a late play for Martin. He said no as it’s very hard to persuade someone who has already nominated another club. I can’t see Bevo wanting a player that turned us down.

This is what made the talk of involving pick 13 in the Keath or Bruce trades an absurdity. Once a player nominates a club of choice their head is rarely turned and its probably best to just move on.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Our depth in the middle is great but we are missing a FB, Winger & Small Forward. Young might become our FB. Cavarra might become a small forward but I can see us drafting one at 13, maybe even reaching for one there. Prefer we take best available and looked at a mature option at 53.

St Kilda & Carlton inflated the prices of Hill, Martin, Howard & Papley to beyond my expectations.

Perhaps next year the dogs will target a FA and be the only ones with large cash reserves.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Meh. Silvagni must be a great s*** talker because you would think the Blues were odds on for the flag.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Pardon my ignorance, but what land package was this?
We acquired a sliver of railway land from VicTrack to the south of Whitten Oval and some clever accounting turned this into a major improvement in our overall asset position.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know the media pumps out BS opinion piece articles these days, but this one by bomber fan boy Twooomey is particularly poor.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/27/twomeys-top-five-best-value-draft-selections-of-all-time/

The fact that he has that plodder Priddis in here and leaves out the great man at pick 105 shows how much research went into this.
He really just wanted to fap about what a great pick Hirdy was and then added the next 4 value picks that popped into his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back