No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prefer that to Sat arvo's
I think it really depends on other things happening in our worlds. For you I guess Saturday arvos are probably shocking because of your involvement in the local footy? For me, Thursday nights are rubbish, especially if we ever get one down here because I have to teach the next day. For one of my little swans supporting kids, early Sunday games (which I think we will get a few of) are a pain in the arse as she plays junior footy. For me, Saturday arvo and Saturday night games are ideal.

No Friday night games for them this year, so they‘ll be grabbing this marquee game with both hands

even if both suck you get a decent crowd

get to see what bs rule the umps will focus on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Obviously a little premature before the offseason is over, but I'm tipping Brisbane to have a disappointing 2020 relative to 2019. They almost certainly won't have the golden run with injuries again, teams will be up for them and plenty of their good players are still quite young. The final reason is crucial imo to why Melbourne disappointed so badly this year. After you do so well, teams begin to pick you apart and really get up to play you and if your leaders are largely younger, it's a lot for them to take in before they've really matured. Hipwood, Cameron, Andrews, McCluggage, Gardiner will need to do a lot of heavy lifting this year under more intense scrutiny. They also have lost a big batch of "next cab off the rank" depth in Cutler, Taylor, Walker, Bastinac, Keays, and Robertson. While none of them are stars, they're all capable of seniors footy and would be useful in case of injury. They got in Birchall, CYE, and Ah Chee which goes some way to replacing them, but losing Hodge is another big one for them. I don't think they'll slide like Melbourne did this year, but I can see them missing finals very easily.

I can see Hawthorn making a good push up the ladder too. The Bulldogs have got a lot of acclaim for finding their bookends, but you could quite easily argue that the Hawks have almost as good a pair in Frost and Patton. I'd take Keath and Bruce probably, but that's nothing to sniff at for the Hawks and just the kinds of players they needed. Plus they get Tom Mitchell back. Wingard with his first full year under wrap too, they could be a top 4 team imo.

Last edited:
Obviously a little premature before the offseason is over, but I'm tipping Brisbane to have a disappointing 2020 relative to 2019. They almost certainly won't have the golden run with injuries again, teams will be up for them and plenty of their good players are still quite young. The final reason is crucial imo to why Melbourne disappointed so badly this year. After you do so well, teams begin to pick you apart and really get up to play you and if your leaders are largely younger, it's a lot for them to take in before they've really matured. Hipwood, Cameron, Andrews, McCluggage, Gardiner will need to do a lot of heavy lifting this year under more intense scrutiny. They also have lost a big batch of "next cab off the rank" depth in Cutler, Taylor, Walker, Bastinac, Keays, and Robertson. While none of them are stars, they're all capable of seniors footy and would be useful in case of injury. They got in Birchall, CYE, and Ah Chee which goes some way to replacing them, but losing Hodge is another big one for them. I don't think they'll slide like Melbourne did this year, but I can see them missing finals very easily.

I can see Hawthorn making a good push up the ladder too. The Bulldogs have got a lot of acclaim for finding their bookends, but you could quite easily argue that the Hawks have almost as good a pair in Frost and Patton. I'd take Keath and Bruce probably, but that's nothing to sniff at for the Hawks and just the kinds of players they needed. Plus they get Tom Mitchell back. Wingard with his first full year under wrap too, they could be a top 4 team imo.

i agree with that, melbourne i can see bounce back too

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
i agree with that, melbourne i can see bounce back too

I'm not as sure, tbh. After the year they had, there's no excuses for them to not be motivated over the pre-season and early part of the H&A but I'm not convinced they're good enough. They had one excellent year (in which they didn't finish top 4 on the ladder, bear in mind) and I certainly doubt they'll be top 4 material, I can see them around the 7-10 mark. I think Langdon will help them but I don't rate Tomlinson. He's versatile and a good runner but his decision-making and skills are pretty rubbish imo. Plus they're relying on Tom McDonald, Weideman, May, Lever, and Oscar McDonald as their keys in defence and attack. That's a talented but, as yet, very inconsistent bunch. Partly from inexperience and partly from injury/poor discipline. Not sold, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back