Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably wouldn't work in the modern AFL itself, but its definitely a benefit in slightly less intense leagues.

I remember reading an interview with Neil Kerley where he said he started playing senior footy at 12 - 14. He said he got smashed but was working loading cement bags into trucks or something similar so he could handle the contact. He had heaps of physical strength including core etc etc I assume from that work so it probably made physical contact easier to deal with.
Along with that they learn to play with more structure in a faster moving game. A lot of the young indigenous kids play in carnivals against men when their 14. It has its up and down side.

Lacks stamina, lacks strength...why can't we snag a kid who hits the ground running for once? I suppose Tarryn kind of did last year.

I would have hoped that one of the best under-age talents would have been more physically ready for the big league. Just look at Sam Walsh. You can see LDU's talent. He is not slow, he's got agility and a burst, he just lacks top end speed which isn't important for the position he plays anyway. It's a massive year for him. I'm sold on Tarryn, everybody is sold on Tarryn, I can't say the same for LDU yet.

Lacks stamina, lacks strength...why can't we snag a kid who hits the ground running for once? I suppose Tarryn kind of did last year.

1) Those types of draftees tend to go very early in the draft and we rarely get those picks.
2) The kid who hits the ground running isn't necessarily the best player in any given draft. You go to the trade table for this kind of thing.

I would have hoped that one of the best under-age talents would have been more physically ready for the big league. Just look at Sam Walsh. You can see LDU's talent. He is not slow, he's got agility and a burst, he just lacks top end speed which isn't important for the position he plays anyway. It's a massive year for him. I'm sold on Tarryn, everybody is sold on Tarryn, I can't say the same for LDU yet.

Cunners is probably the best comparison. LDU averages more disposals, cont possessions, clearances, goals (just), , goal assists, disposal efficiency at the same age. Also, whilst along time ago, LDU is infront on the eye test compares to cunners for their first 2 years.

Not saying he ends up as good, but cunners was a very slow burn, and LDU is currently comfortably infront.

Cunners is probably the best comparison. LDU averages more disposals, cont possessions, clearances, goals (just), , goal assists, disposal efficiency at the same age. Also, whilst along time ago, LDU is infront on the eye test compares to cunners for their first 2 years.

Not saying he ends up as good, but cunners was a very slow burn, and LDU is currently comfortably infront.

The similarities are definitely there, Cunners got caught HTB heaps starting out, happens to LDU a lot as well. They both try to make things happen from stoppage. I have no doubt that LDU will be just as hard to tackle as Cunnington once he matures. He’ll just do it in a different way

Hopefully LDU can transform into our superstar midfielder, a player who will consistently be ranked amongst the elite of the competition. Also, a Brownlow and some Premierships would be nice also.

I think bringing in Bonar could be great for Luke. Good mates, living, training, playing together in the midfield. Hopefully push each other to greater heights. 3rd Season for Luke, lets hope he arrives back at the club pumped for a big pre season. Reckon 2020 is the year we start to see him put together some big performances the way Jy did in 2012, who also hopefully hits those heights on a regular basis.

I think bringing in Bonar could be great for Luke. Good mates, living, training, playing together in the midfield. Hopefully push each other to greater heights. 3rd Season for Luke, lets hope he arrives back at the club pumped for a big pre season. Reckon 2020 is the year we start to see him put together some big performances the way Jy did in 2012, who also hopefully hits those heights on a regular basis.
s**t Myself when I saw jy 2012...

Along with that they learn to play with more structure in a faster moving game. A lot of the young indigenous kids play in carnivals against men when their 14. It has its up and down side.

Same up here with league. Its pretty hard footy. No one holds back.

The similarities are definitely there, Cunners got caught HTB heaps starting out, happens to LDU a lot as well. They both try to make things happen from stoppage. I have no doubt that LDU will be just as hard to tackle as Cunnington once he matures. He’ll just do it in a different way
100%

The thing I like about LDU is he seems to brush off the HTB stuff. That's good coaching too. Keep trying. Soon he will be strong as an ox and it will be miserable trying to tackle him. Anything less than a full tackle will get brushed off with ease.

Apart from using brute strength to physically break away from tackles, the ability to assess the situation and get off an advantageous handball while being tackled should be a skill being practiced by the entire squad, always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Jed and Cunners are both masters of this - should get them to teach it, if it can be worked in extra-curricular, i.e more than one way to skin a fish..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want nothing more than LDU to do well and become a North legend. However especially for guys in his position, the defining factor is “how much do you want it” in a contest. That’s almost a genetic factor sometimes. Im not calling him soft but its something I’m a little concerned about. Hope I’m wrong.

I want nothing more than LDU to do well and become a North legend. However especially for guys in his position, the defining factor is “how much do you want it” in a contest. That’s almost a genetic factor sometimes. Im not calling him soft but its something I’m a little concerned about. Hope I’m wrong.
His shoulder issues didnt help.

He is very tentative at stages. Often gets caught out flat footed.

I’m still of the opinion that he is going to be a brute strength inside midfielder, he is going to be a mid that will have to be on the move (like Higgins) to get the most benefit out of his game.

The "defining factor" for Luke is the attainment of physical strength inside the contest.

His only issue is physical development, and he will be a star.

Last edited:

Bailey Scott got a Rising Star nom in his first game.

And this hits the ground running thing can be misleading - Ryan Bastinac played his best footy in his first ten games imo.

The "defining factor" for Luke is that attainment of the physical strength inside the contest.

His only issue is physical development, and he will be a star.

This. Give the kid time all the attributes are there.
Its a bit same for all the young blokes though.
We need development and consistency is the key.

Definitely doesn't lack top speed....

Cunnington is a classic inside midfielder who needed to build strength to burn off tackles with his arms, or stand up while being tackled (core strength).

His game was never going to be outside, or as a link player, so until he had built up his base, he was always going to be next to useless at AFL level.

Is LDU meant to be that kind of player?

I thought he was meant to be more Judd-like, more well-rounded, more capable of doing something while still developing strength.

Cunnington is a classic inside midfielder who needed to build strength to burn off tackles with his arms, or stand up while being tackled (core strength).

His game was never going to be outside, or as a link player, so until he had built up his base, he was always going to be next to useless at AFL level.

Is LDU meant to be that kind of player?

I thought he was meant to be more Judd-like, more well-rounded, more capable of doing something while still developing strength.

I’ll save you the surprise, neither LDU nor Cunnington will be as good as Judd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back