The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how's that on us?
It's not. The deal just can't get done unless the Danniher one gets done. You guys offered a very good pick package for Danniher but Essendon wanted a player included.

Not saying he would have helped get the deal done but I dont get why Sam Reid's name wasn't linked to Essendon. With Danniher, Buddy, Blakey & McCartin I never really saw how Reid would fit into that forward line at all.

It's not. The deal just can't get done unless the Danniher one gets done. You guys offered a very good pick package for Danniher but Essendon wanted a player included.

Not saying he would have helped get the deal done but I dont get why Sam Reid's name wasn't linked to Essendon. With Danniher, Buddy, Blakey & McCartin I never really saw how Reid would fit into that forward line at all.

It was linked. I don't know why we would give up a player, but mind you I never got why we were in for Daniher in the first place.

Carlton had the currency to get Tom Papley - Pick 9. Essendon wanted Pick 5 and Pick 9 (from Carlton) from Sydney for Joe Daniher. Sydney, well within their rights, felt that too steep a price to pay for Joe Daniher. We can’t help Dodoro’s demands.

As for “courting” a player. Tom Papley nominated Carlton. No nomination, no courting. The end.
Clearly you didn't as it didn't eventuate. The fact you had to rely on other deals going through to make your offer worthwhile says it all.

Let's move on to Martin then. Out of contract so should have been as easy to transact as Kelly was for the Eagles... Yet here we are.
Gold Coast wanted 9 and would have given 15 back.. So Martin for a 6 pick slide. Now you'll have to use 9 on him and don't have 15. No way he gets past GCS in the PSD so national draft it will be. You got schooled by the Suns.

Or how about we move on to Wines. Wanted to come to the Blues, and you turned him down as you had set your sights on Martin and Papley... and got neither.

So in summary you got a broken down Betts. A back up ruckman in Pittonet. Turned down a player wanting to be at your club and couldn't get the two worthwhile deals done.

SOS screwed the pooch big time. I think he may still be concussed.

Gold Coast wanted 9 and would have given 15 back.. So Martin for a 6 pick slide. Now you'll have to use 9 on him and don't have 15. No way he gets past GCS in the PSD so national draft it will be. You got schooled by the Suns.
They also wanted our future first to be included.

GC: Pick 9 + Carlton 2020 1st rounder
Carl: Martin + Pick 15 + GC 2020 2nd rounder

That would leave us with 0x 2020 1st round picks & 2x 2020 2nd round picks. In a heavily diluted draft.

It was linked. I don't know why we would give up a player, but mind you I never got why we were in for Daniher in the first place.
Yeah I don't get the need for Danniher at all for you guys. I'd get it if you were somehow getting an okay pick for Reid. Or you were turning Reid & Papley into Danniher.

They also wanted our future first to be included.

GC: Pick 9 + Carlton 2020 1st rounder
Carl: Martin + Pick 15 + GC 2020 2nd rounder

That would leave us with 0x 2020 1st round picks & 2x 2020 2nd round picks. In a heavily diluted draft.
So? Just come out of a 3 year period with no first rounders. Nothing to be feared.
They always replenish themselves each season.

You'd also have at least two of Papley, Martin and Wines.
That improves your list.

So? Just come out of a 3 year period with no first rounders. Nothing to be feared.
They always replenish themselves each season.

You'd also have at least two of Papley, Martin and Wines.
That improves your list.
How would we have two of the 3?

We've only got 2 first round picks. GC wanted one for Martin. PA would want two for Wines. And Papley couldn't happen without Danniher going ahead.

The only way we could start today with any of the 3 is by trading a future 1st round pick for Jack Martin.

Clearly you didn't as it didn't eventuate. The fact you had to rely on other deals going through to make your offer worthwhile says it all.

Let's move on to Martin then. Out of contract so should have been as easy to transact as Kelly was for the Eagles... Yet here we are.

Or how about we move on to Wines. Wanted to come to the Blues, and you turned him down as you had set your sights on Martin and Papley... and got neither.

So in summary you got a broken down Betts. A back up ruckman in Pittonet. Turned down a player wanting to be at your club and couldn't get the two worthwhile deals done.

SOS screwed the pooch big time. I think he may still be concussed.

“Says it all”? Yes, Sydney wanted Daniher if Papley was leaving. That’s been stated from the very beginning. No Daniher, no Papley. So you’re right, Carlton had to rely on another deal happening for the club to get Papley.

GCS wanted Pick 9 for Martin as a last minute thing when Papley wasn’t happening. When you spend a week and a half trying to get an uncontracted player over to your football club with a very fair offer and his club won’t do it, then they threaten they will redraft him, not many list managers would turn around and just hand them Pick 9.

Wines was not happening. He wasn’t offered to Carlton or to another team (can’t recall which club). Carlton said it didn’t happen, Wines agent said it didn’t happen. Wines‘ management said he wasn’t leaving, when it was reported that he might, over a month ago. It was built up by the media and football fans have taken the bait.

And yeah, we got Betts for a year, who will be in the best 22. We got a backup ruckman since Andrew Phillips left. Don’t know why either trade is terrible.

Last edited:
Wines name definitely was discussed by his people to club's, Carlton Richmond and Essendon I think I read. SOS and Dodoro confirmed on radio this morning

All 3 would love him on their list.

Richmond as premiers didn't have much cap room or picks to get it done.

Carlton had one pick set aside for Papley, once that looked impossible it was too late to move onto port to get their captain in.

Essendon who possibly need an inside bull the most at the time had only a 2020 first round pick. Had they have accepted pick 5 and 9 for Danniher that may have got ports attention for Wines. But with the first 7 days of the trade period asking Sydney for players and not picks this never got off the ground.

Seems its going to work out great for Carlton with Martin looking like making there in the PSD. Bargain.
In the single Martin deal that is great. Still would have loved the Papley though. Perfect little prick of a small forward. Oh well hopefully pick 9 still has one of Serano, Flanders or Ash available

Wines name definitely was discussed by his people to club's, Carlton Richmond and Essendon I think I read. SOS and Dodoro confirmed on radio this morning

All 3 would love him on their list.

Richmond as premiers didn't have much cap room or picks to get it done.

Carlton had one pick set aside for Papley, once that looked impossible it was too late to move onto port to get their captain in.

Essendon who possibly need an inside bull the most at the time had only a 2020 first round pick. Had they have accepted pick 5 and 9 for Danniher that may have got ports attention for Wines. But with the first 7 days of the trade period asking Sydney for players and not picks this never got off the ground.

Okay, I knew that it had been denied through the media after the story broke but didn’t see that SOS and Dodoro did in fact confirm it. As you said, we didn’t even have the currency for such a trade, especially for another another teams captain.

Seems its going to work out great for Carlton with Martin looking like making there in the PSD. Bargain.

Jack’s agent said on SEN yesterday that GCS and Melbourne have been informed that he only wants to get to Carlton. The PSD looks like it’s going to be where Jack is selected. ND is tricky, as there are 3 Victorian clubs before Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 1, 2020

Thursday, March 19
Richmond v Carlton, MCG – 7.25pm.

Friday, March 20
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood, Marvel Stadium – 7.50pm.

Saturday, March 21
Essendon v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium – 1.45pm.
Adelaide v Sydney, Adelaide Oval – 4.05pm.
GWS v Geelong, GIANTS Stadium – 7.25pm.
Gold Coast Suns v Port Adelaide, Metricon Stadium – 6.25pm.

Sunday, March 22
North Melbourne v St Kilda, Marvel Stadium – 1.10pm.
Hawthorn v Brisbane, MCG – 3.20pm.
West Coast v Melbourne, Optus Stadium – 3.20pm

Don’t mind that from a Freo point of view, good test to see what we’re capable of this season. lol at Melbourne though, not sure that’s exactly the start to the season they would have wanted

Tigers again get the bye first up.

*glances over to Geelong’s 1st round fixture and starts laughing*

It’s better to know what your clubs future holds than to be ignorant about the present. And in the case of Geelong, both thoughts are vomit inducing stuff.

Last edited:
*glances over to Geelong’s 1st round fixture and starts laughing*
Won 7. Lost 2. Drawn 1.
Never lost to them in Sydney.

Not sure why you're laughing. Clubs that have good sides don't fear certain fixtures and I don't fear the day of the year we have the Giants.
A good team, but beatable.
It’s better to know what your clubs future holds than to be ignorant about the present. And in the case of Geelong, both thoughts are vomit inducing stuff.
Que? Might need to elaborate here.
How does Harmes get a 5 year contract?

Henderson now delisted. Decent trade period shifting him, Menzel AND Yarran for Plowman, McKay, Cuningham and all the steak knives
He's a good tagger tbf. 24.5 touches, over 5 tackles and 4 clearances a game. As a run with player is rather solid. Tough little bugger too.
I'd happily take him off the Dees hands.

He's a good tagger tbf. 24.5 touches, over 5 tackles and 4 clearances a game. As a run with player is rather solid. Tough little bugger too.
I'd happily take him off the Dees hands.
5 years though?

Couldn't imagine his game will go to heights that we haven't seen so it's not like he'd have cost that much more than they've locked him in for in 3 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back