2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Best available is quite subjective. At pick 19 there are a lot of players around the same mark. I understand the best available early on, but think best available to suit a need or future need is better value than just best available. But if a bargain falls your way then by all means take it. Is Stevens that much of a bargain?

Well of course its subjective. But Richmond recruiters have said they rank every player. So we just take the next highest on list.

I dont know much about this years draft, so can't tell you if he is a bargain.

Ive found that now we are good I don't worry about the draft so much anymore.

It was a big deal for so long because we were getting top 10 picks because we sucked.

As top dog and a destination club we can now just do business with the draft and concentrate and maintaining supremecy for a few years more by targeting free agents that will fit the system and within the cap.

It was a big deal for so long because we were getting top 10 picks because we sucked.

As top dog and a destination club we can now just do business with the draft and concentrate and maintaining supremecy for a few years more by targeting free agents that will fit the system and within the cap.
Interesting you say that....

I'm not comparing us to the Hawks during their 3 peat (although we're getting close)....but what lessons can we learn from them about moving on the old codgers and replenishing our list at the same time? To get in A grade talent via trading they've had to give up a lot of early picks (yes, I'm oversimplyfying things) thereby sacrificing the ability to replenish through the draft. Maybe we'll just concentrate on FA and DFA to bring in A graders, or a combination of trading, draft and FA (which actually stands for * ALL) to keep our list balanced........

The way i look at it with where Richmond is at in 2020 onward is that we are now a financially very strong and have the correct development and coaching in place, Where we need to focus on now is our drafting and talent identification - Get our picks right and make the most of our later picks
We need to strengthen our recruiting and invest more resources into this area.

Also focus on other sports like basket ball with players who have played football as juniors to a decent level that have been lost to the game that may have enough talent to make it and bring them back as Cat B rookies

The way i look at it with where Richmond is at in 2020 onward is that we are now a financially very strong and have the correct development and coaching in place, Where we need to focus on now is our drafting and talent identification - Get our picks right and make the most of our later picks
We need to strengthen our recruiting and invest more resources into this area.

Also focus on other sports like basket ball with players who have played football as juniors to a decent level that have been lost to the game that may have enough talent to make it and bring them back as Cat B rookies
I think that one area that we haven't been active in is selecting scholarship players, as in the Irish pathway, reckon there's a lot of talent in that pool.

One thing I've been thinking about is that I know for a fact that we wanted to pick Trent Mynott ahead of Liam Baker in the 2017 rookie draft.

Mynott was just delisted by the bummers and Baker is obviously a premiership player with us.

So...if we picked Mynott, would he be a premiership player? or would he be a dud getting cut from our list?

One thing I've been thinking about is that I know for a fact that we wanted to pick Trent Mynott ahead of Liam Baker in the 2017 rookie draft.

Mynott was just delisted by the bummers and Baker is obviously a premiership player with us.

So...if we picked Mynott, would he be a premiership player? or would he be a dud getting cut from our list?
He is not a bad player and played well against our vfl team, Would not surprise me if we did pick him up as a rookie
But i think in answering your question - He would have been a premiership player

Well unless he got injured he would have had some kinda premiership.

Why Not Both 28102019215940.jpg

I don’t know about Stephens but RCD and Ross are quick, they’ve got sub 3 second 20m sprint times. And RCD uses it too if you saw the VFL granny.

edit: Just looked up some of Stephens results, won the yo-yo and was top 10 for vertical leap so great athleticism, especially considering he broke his leg early in the year.

Slow was overstating it. But there’s a real sameness about that midfield. We lack a big midfielder and hopefully we have that between Ross and RCD. But I can’t see us ever falling down the same rabbit hole norf and Dees have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow was overstating it. But there’s a real sameness about that midfield. We lack a big midfielder and hopefully we have that between Ross and RCD. But I can’t see us ever falling down the same rabbit hole norf and Dees have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't watch the Roos play that much (who does) so can't comment, but best mate is a dees fan so end up seeing a lot of them. Sameness in the midfield isn't their problem, its a coach who got too smart for himself, a s**t forwardline and lazy/thought they made it footballers across every line.

They're 2nd for centre clearances, 5th for overall clearances and 5th for i50's, but score the 2nd least. The worst forward efficiency in the comp. Tom Mcdonald is no longer an unknown as a forward, he kicked 12 of his 18 goals (15 games) for the year in 3 games vs Suns, Blues and Freo, teams have worked him out. The small forwards don't work hard enough and Weiderman hasn't come on like expected since 2018 finals.

Besides I don't see RCD, Ross and Graham as very similar. RCD is your burst/dynamic mid in the Bont/Dusty/Danger mould, IF he makes it. Ross is a bigger version of Prestia and Graham is your work horse like Lambert who can get forward and kick goals. Add in a Bolton, who has freakshow potential and played centre square mid and dominated at VFL level, plus a few handy AFL midfield games. Stack will go in there to and provide another magic player who is tough as nails. We've got Rioli, Turner, DES, Castagna and Naish to run up and down the wing all day. Plenty of potential midfield combinations to use, with lot of differences.

We are in a super position, our biggest problems are KPD and KPF but they're not dire issues right now. Quality KPD can be picked up anywhere in the draft, so no need to reach unless we believe they're the best available, plus we have an academy CHB rated pretty highly next year. KPF are 95% early picks (earlier than our first), so we will have to (hopefully cos we remain near the top) trade/FA one in the next few years.

Again I haven't watched this draft class at all, but we are well set up to take the risk on an injured kid like Stephens if we believe he is the best available at our pick. Plus at 188cm Stephens could be that big mid you want, if RCD isn't it.

Yeah, I'm inclined to test the waters for potential Patrick Cripps - Marcus Bontempelli types. I suspect the next phase in the game's evolution will be built around ball movement similar to ours in 2019, which was more structured than in 2017, but done by bigger bodies. Our 2 talls, 2 rucks game plan is here to stay. It's exactly the same structure we went with leading into 2016 and the reason it didn't work then was our second tall was Tyrone Vickery and our other ruck was Benny Griffith. We kind of lucked back into that earlier model this year through injuries and astute recruitment and I can't see us dropping it any time soon. So yes, let's look players 188 cm and taller in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just having a look at the experts draft ratings.
The following are players that I expect to go before our first, but hopefully 1 slides (like RCD & Higgins):

Dylan Stephens, 183, 69, ouside mid

Deven Robertson 182, 80, inside mid

Dylan Williams, 185, 79, forward, inside

Trent Rivers, 188, 85, inside

Josh Worrell, 195, 74, KPP

Cody Weightman, 177, 73, sm forward

Otherwise, should be one of:
J Sharp, 187, 79, outside, defence

Cooper Stephens, 188, 83, inside

Harry Schoenberg, 180, 78, inside

Will Day, 187, 70, outside

I do agree to a point.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of taking Cooper Stephens if he's there at our pick as best available, but I don't understand why so many are calling out for us to take a bunch more inside midfielders.
With Ross, RCD & Graham, plus Prestia & Pickett we are fine for inside midfielders, nothing wrong with one more, but we don't need to load up like some are calling for.
Development & injuries are a good reason to add the extra inside mid to the list.

can someone please explain the significance of the two letters on the Draft combine player t shirts.. Is it a junior club?
Theyre positions that each player plays in.

MF - medium forward
SF - small forward
MM - medium midfielder etc

It's so that they're easily identifiable and comparable when there 60 of them running around.

For a kid who broke his leg early in the year apparently Cooper Stephens impressed a great deal with his athleticism. Cats will look closely at him.

i like the fact that now we are where we are we can draft & develope through the VFL & our kids are under no pressure to come in & be the messiah as at some other Clubs.

Agree. A lot of talk about centre square mids but we seem pretty set with those. Prestia, Ross, RCD, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Pickett, Stack etc. We have no classy half backs and wings except Stack, (a few working their way along like DES, Naish Turner but are still maybe's). Seems to me an running rebounding HB winger would fill a need. (And not a skinny project one.)
Turner & English i like as Wingers.
Leaning towards Sharp as our 1st pick as the 3rd option.

i like the fact that now we are where we are we can draft & develope through the VFL & our kids are under no pressure to come in & be the messiah as at some other Clubs.
It's a wonderful position to be in. No rush, just develop them the right way. When form dictates given them a taste at senior level and if they play well they keep their spot.

Will we continue our theme with players last names ending in N or S? Last 2 years have been N+S (Higgins & Collier-Dawkins)

2007 - Trent Cotchin
2008 - (Tyrone Vickery)
2009 - Dustin Martin
2010 - (Reece Conca)
2011- Brandon Ellis
2012 - Nick Vlastuin
2013 - Ben Lennon
2014 - Corey Ellis
2015 - (Daniel Rioli)
2016 - Shai Bolton
2017 - Jack Higgins
2018 - Riley Collier-Dawkins
2019 - Devon Robertson/ Dylan Williams/ Miles Bergman/ Cooper Stevens/ Trent Rivers

Turner & English i like as Wingers.
Leaning towards Sharp as our 1st pick as the 3rd option.
I'm not 100% that Turner will transition to AFL wing, seems a tad slow for that. To me he looks more and big bodied mid who can find the ball. 26 possessions and 10 clearances from the midfield against Geelong VFL is good going. Reminds me of Gary Ayres, could even play half back like Ayres. English is a maybe.
Sharp looks pretty slick and a good wing half back.

It's hilarious to me that the Pies and bombers don't have first round picks this year. Reading their fans in the draft article comments "do you think Stephens could fall to pick 30+?"

"I know there is no Ben or Max king in this draft but is there a good key forward in the pick 30 to 40 range? Daniher might leave next year and we need a replacement!"

:p:D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back