Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I really loved about the 87 prelim was the reaction afterwards.
We were doing the classic celebrations - jumping up repeatedly with arms stretched out for a good 60 seconds as you do when you're delirious.

The poor Dee supporters were speechless, gobsmacked and crying with those wonderful blank staring open mouthed faces.

Seconds before they'd been full of arrogance, paying put on Hawthorn supporters especially when Simon Eishold marked the ball on the point post. He was going to kick a goal which would put the Dees 10 points up and into the grand final. Despondent Hawthorn supporters started leaving the ground. The Dee supporters were abusing those leaving - "suck that losers"! Then, of course, Eishold missed and Tucky kicked out - straight down the guts.

That was a wonderful 5 minutes to be at that ground. If you look at the video clip and see the face on the blonde Dee supporter standing and gasping in disbelief as Bucky get the kick for goal. Multiply her face by 20,000 !!

Then jump ahead a year and a week. !988 grand final. The Dees are there. They turned out in the members - the men wearing silly boaters !! Can you believe it? I think they thought they were at a boat race - perhaps Cambridge v Oxford.
The Dee players ran their warm up laps in front of the members to a standing ovation. Stupid thing to do. I think those poor players thought with that applause a win was a formality.

Sorry Dees - record loss, 96 points! Oh the memories.

Was this one of the abusive Dee fans 😂

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 11.37.23 am.png

I've seen it too, he runs just in front of Bucky pretty quickly after he has gone back on his line to have a shot. Stynes was coming from behind his left shoulder and chasing a Hawk who ran to the right side of Bucky. The commentators nor the players could hear it with how the crowd was going crazy.
Here's the entire last quarter...

That was one of the greatest wins in the club's history IMO. We won against all odds.
Melbourne won the toss and kicked with a 5 goal southerly breeze. Huge advantage.
Quarter time we were only 5 points down. Massive win for us.

But then on the stroke of quarter time, there was a northerly change (180 degree change in wind direction) and suddenly we were facing another strong wind, another 5 goal advantage to Melbourne - we, at the ground, were utterly despondent. The gods were against us. It was really noticeable in the second quarter. Melbourne was kicking the ball 70 metres. Curran in front of us at one stage kicked it forward and the ball looped right back in the wind and covered about 10 metres.

Half time only 22 points down. But for a 10 goal wind advantage to Melbourne over the first half, we were actually thrashing them.

Third quarter a wind shift, which slightly favoured Melbourne and then more across the ground in the last quarter. At no stage during the game did we have the advantage of any wind.

The beauty of this game is that we didn't panic or throw it in. Just stuck to the task and played sensible footy especially against the wind. Even the last 15 seconds we didn't panic, we knew exactly what to do. Long kick from Tuck down the middle, marked by Schwabby, handball to Langford, runs and then kicked to the leading Bucky who was fouled. Magnificent stuff. Huge pressure on Bucky, but if there's one person in the history of Hawthorn (Hudson and Dunstall included) who never ever missed pressure goals, he was the man. He didn't even have to stop, pull up the socks, think about it, worry, scratch his balls, take deep breaths, look at the scoreboard. He just went back and drilled it. Never any doubt.

And by the way, even without the 15 metre penalty Bucky would have kicked the goal - the ball went through post high.

This game showed the greatness of Alan Jeans, master coach.
Great write up. I was a young bloke watching the NWFL Grand Final at West Park, Burnie on that day in 1987. A lot of fans were watching the live game with radios against their ears, listening to this prelim. I remember asking random people as I walked around the ground, all afternoon what the score was. It looked like Melbourne all day.

When Bucky kicked the goal a stifled roar went up around the stands and a lot of player on the ground looked around in bemusement to see what the hell was going on.

We were in another one. What a player Bucky was as well!

Unlikely. Fyfe at 192cm/96kg would've been bigger than a lot of KPP of the 80's. And with his fitness he'd be running rings around just about everyone. Sure, some rough nuts would try and intimidate him by lining him up, but Fyfe isn't soft. He's already done some snipe worthy stuff in modern day football so no doubt he'd actually feel quite at home playing in the 80's where he'd be able to throw his weight around even more.

Mitchell touched him lightly and broke his leg, arm spleen and rocking chair. He wouldn't last two minutes with Ayers, Dipper or anyone else lining him up. He may be big for a midfielder but glass is still glass no matter how big it is.

That was one of the greatest wins in the club's history IMO. We won against all odds.
Melbourne won the toss and kicked with a 5 goal southerly breeze. Huge advantage.
Quarter time we were only 5 points down. Massive win for us.

But then on the stroke of quarter time, there was a northerly change (180 degree change in wind direction) and suddenly we were facing another strong wind, another 5 goal advantage to Melbourne - we, at the ground, were utterly despondent. The gods were against us. It was really noticeable in the second quarter. Melbourne was kicking the ball 70 metres. Curran in front of us at one stage kicked it forward and the ball looped right back in the wind and covered about 10 metres.

Half time only 22 points down. But for a 10 goal wind advantage to Melbourne over the first half, we were actually thrashing them.

Third quarter a wind shift, which slightly favoured Melbourne and then more across the ground in the last quarter. At no stage during the game did we have the advantage of any wind.

The beauty of this game is that we didn't panic or throw it in. Just stuck to the task and played sensible footy especially against the wind. Even the last 15 seconds we didn't panic, we knew exactly what to do. Long kick from Tuck down the middle, marked by Schwabby, handball to Langford, runs and then kicked to the leading Bucky who was fouled. Magnificent stuff. Huge pressure on Bucky, but if there's one person in the history of Hawthorn (Hudson and Dunstall included) who never ever missed pressure goals, he was the man. He didn't even have to stop, pull up the socks, think about it, worry, scratch his balls, take deep breaths, look at the scoreboard. He just went back and drilled it. Never any doubt.

And by the way, even without the 15 metre penalty Bucky would have kicked the goal - the ball went through post high.

This game showed the greatness of Alan Jeans, master coach.
It helps that he had the same kick 2 minutes earlier.

Mitchell touched him lightly and broke his leg, arm spleen and rocking chair. He wouldn't last two minutes with Ayers, Dipper or anyone else lining him up. He may be big for a midfielder but glass is still glass no matter how big it is.
This! Not sold on these sort of (Fyfe type) players. Toughness is in the head and Hawks had them by truckloads.

"stand alone" ANZAC Day (Collingwood vs Essendon) as a twilight game (4:45pm) on a Saturday?! the AFL just have to mess with everything for the sake of it don't they?
Be grateful they are letting other teams play on the AFL's second-most sacred of days.
</sarcasm>

If you blame Melbourne for his issues then you may as well blame us for Garlett's.
I wasn’t blaming them for his issues. It was more so directed at how some clubs handle the delicate situation of their indigenous players. Some clubs do it better than others for whatever reason but it really was just a lighthearted jab. No harm no foul 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"stand alone" ANZAC Day (Collingwood vs Essendon) as a twilight game (4:45pm) on a Saturday?! the AFL just have to mess with everything for the sake of it don't they?
The game is starting at 4:20
Might just be a subtle hint as to what they are smoking in AFL house. And I thought it was exclusively poles!

Are we really here bagging out Fyfe as soft? Really? 80's and 90's footy was no tougher than today, just more sniping.

Are we really here bagging out Fyfe as soft? Really? 80's and 90's footy was no tougher than today, just more sniping.

I agree, as would most realistic footballers from the 80s and 90s. They attack the ball a fair degree harder than they used to, but they attack the man less.

Lock it in Eddie.

Hawks V WCE Anzac day 1.10pm in Launceston.

Its a done deal.

Looks like WADA is going to be dramatically reducing the penalties for street drugs like cocaine. This article doesn't mention marijuana but you'd think that would fall under 'street drugs' too. I wonder how this is going to effect Willie and his eventual penalty.

I agree, as would most realistic footballers from the 80s and 90s. They attack the ball a fair degree harder than they used to, but they attack the man less.
This is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back