Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
and pretty much B grade the rest of the year... I would fully support Horse not routinely starting with George, JPK and Parker at centre bounces. They are all slow or slowish.

I like the idea of rarely having more than two of the three in for centre clearances.
Kennedy was ranked 10th for clearances per game this year and 15th for contested possessions per game this year. If he was B grade for the rest of the year it doesn’t bode well for the rest of the competition that was behind him then.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Boo hoo its a professional sport

Im just discussing the facts of his performance , people act like the players are in here reading and crying about it, sounds nasty and mean? give me a spell, its a discussion on best 22, on that basis every player people leave out are being treated meanly on here,

these are very highly paid elite sportsmen, i dont give a s**t if it sounds mean

I think the constant defence of him, promotion of his skills, suggestions of how good he is is blind and pathetic, so each to their own.

so much rubbish is made up about a guy who doesn't perform. Has the skills, has the body, but rarely delivers

What will change my view is some actual performances that warrant the love he gets, otherwise id rather develop someone else who might assist the side in winning
Swings and roundabouts though, fair enough you are critical of Reid and his output. It does go the other way when people query whether Zac Jones had a football brain and you defend him.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Given that there are probably only about 2 miss per the that would play a position similar enough to compare being 15th and 10th does make him pretty solidly in the middle of the best half of players in that kind of position so B is fair enough.
Kennedy was ranked 10th for clearances per game this year and 15th for contested possessions per game this year. If he was B grade for the rest of the year it doesn’t bode well for the rest of the competition that was behind him then.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Given that there are probably only about 2 miss per the that would play a position similar enough to compare being 15th and 10th does make him pretty solidly in the middle of the best half of players in that kind of position so B is fair enough.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
So what you’re saying is that there are only two midfielders for each team who can win the ball?

DobmusEdge

All Australian
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Boo hoo its a professional sport

Im just discussing the facts of his performance , people act like the players are in here reading and crying about it, sounds nasty and mean? give me a spell, its a discussion on best 22, on that basis every player people leave out are being treated meanly on here,

these are very highly paid elite sportsmen, i dont give a s**t if it sounds mean

I think the constant defence of him, promotion of his skills, suggestions of how good he is is blind and pathetic, so each to their own.

so much rubbish is made up about a guy who doesn't perform. Has the skills, has the body, but rarely delivers

What will change my view is some actual performances that warrant the love he gets, otherwise id rather develop someone else who might assist the side in winning

You do yourself a disservice

I’ll give you a spell

No doubt. He prolly attended more clearances than most those in the top ten. I back him at stoppages but not centre clearances where we got smashed. Of course he, Parker and Hewett will continue to attend centre clearances and stoppages. I am just saying no more than 2 at Centre Clearances.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is an old chestnut, yet no one really knows what he is on in this current contract.
True of nearly all players but he did sign on the back of one of his good uninjured seasons in a year where there was demand for forwards. From memory the deal didn’t get signed until late so if he didn’t get a reasonable deal he should be looking for new management.
I doubt there is a supporter here who doesn’t hope he plays out of his skin next year, but everyone is entitled to their respectful opinion of our players. I’d love him to stay uninjured and play so well we are arguing whether we need Daniher. Not holding my breath, but I’d love to see him monster a game in 2020 and win a TV.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
True of nearly all players but he did sign on the back of one of his good uninjured seasons in a year where there was demand for forwards. From memory the deal didn’t get signed until late so if he didn’t get a reasonable deal he should be looking for new management.
I doubt there is a supporter here who doesn’t hope he plays out of his skin next year, but everyone is entitled to their respectful opinion of our players. I’d love him to stay uninjured and play so well we are arguing whether we need Daniher. Not holding my breath, but I’d love to see him monster a game in 2020 and win a TV.
Ill back him to play well as a second ruck, play as a spare in defence when asked, be a solid mark of kicks coming out of defence and kick 35+ goals

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I look at it like this.
Reid on 500K
or
Daniher who would have been on 1M plus after 11 games from the last two seasons.

I think it's pretty naive to just write-off any criticisms of Reid on the basis that the poster has previously criticsed Reid. I routinely defended him this season, because I didn't think we had any better options. But realistically, he wouldn't be in my best 22 next season if we had a fully fit squad.

Would Mitch Brown walk into our best 22? I should hope not. Shaun McKernan is now ahead of him according to most Bombers fans. How did his stats compare to Reid in what has been largely described as a "good" Reid season?
R6esD87.png

Tom McDonald was completely panned by the football media for his awful season. I get that the bar is naturally set higher for McDonald, but keep in mind when you compare his and Reid's stats that McDonald also spent time in the backline this season AND was dropped a few times IIRC. Despite McDonald experiencing a season from hell, he averages more touches, and inaccuracy was the only thing that kept him from averaging more goals than Reid in a stop-start season.
pKieJNS.png
Collingwood brought in Ben Reid because they literally had no other options. After the Preliminary Final, Magpie fans slammed the club for arrogance for not dropping Reid for Cox. He received his fair share of criticism for failing to provide much, but how did he compare to his brother? Would any of you consider picking up Ben Reid for a best 22 spot?
lMXV77o.png

I know we're not a great team right now, but we're not setting the bar very high if we can't even argue about Sam Reid's inclusion in the team after he kicked 28 goals from 22 games this year IMO.

And to follow that up, here's my team:

FB: Mills - Aliir - Rampe
HB: Dawson - McCartin - Lloyd
C: Cunningham - Parker - Blakey
HF: Hayward - Heeney - Ronke
FF: Papley - Franklin - Sinclair
Foll: Naismith - Florent - Hewett
I/C: Kennedy - Taylor - Rowbottom - Ling

Had Menzel ahead of Ronke, but just read he'd been delisted. Some more brilliant list management there...

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Had Menzel ahead of Ronke, but just read he'd been delisted. Some more brilliant list management there...

I dont mind this sides structure too much at all, good job! I can see the thought thats gone into a few of the positions. Ronke thats in form is a certain starter but Ronke thats all at sea is a reserves player.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Similar cattle but different structure:
Lloyd Aliir Rampe
Cunningham McCartin Mills
Dawson Parker Blakey
Heeney Franklin Hayward
Papley Sinclair Ronke
Naismith Kennedy Hewett
Rowbottom Taylor O'Riordan Reid
Cunningham can rotate forward to the wing while Dawson and Blakey play high half forward. O'Riordan replaces.
Rowbottom and Taylor rotate inside and outside mids. Taylor can rotate with Heeney and Papley.
Sinkers cuts out Naismith and Reid can FF or give Buddy or the tall backs a rest.
Wicks may overtake Ronke.

I like the structure of the side better with a ruckman in so Sinclair can be more forward. Would love a way to get Rampe to play Mills' role and get him in the mids a bit more

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Similar cattle but different structure:
Lloyd Aliir Rampe
Cunningham McCartin Mills
Dawson Parker Blakey
Heeney Franklin Hayward
Papley Sinclair Ronke
Naismith Kennedy Hewett
Rowbottom Taylor O'Riordan Reid
Cunningham can rotate forward to the wing while Dawson and Blakey play high half forward. O'Riordan replaces.
Rowbottom and Taylor rotate inside and outside mids. Taylor can rotate with Heeney and Papley.
Sinkers cuts out Naismith and Reid can FF or give Buddy or the tall backs a rest.
Wicks may overtake Ronke.
Oops! Left out Florent! Replaces Ronke but on the bench and Taylor starting.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
C: Florent - Kennedy - Blakey
HF: Franklin - Reid - Heeney
FF: Papley - Sinclair/McLean - Hayward
Foll: Naismith - Parker - Hewett
I/C: Cunningham - Taylor - Rowbottom - O’Riordan

I’d really like to see Ling and McInerney break through. There’s the potential upside in my opinion. I’m in Bell’s corner. I’d love to see him take another step forward.

I like the idea of Sinclair/McLean forcing a key defender to play deep back. Means Reid/Franklin get 2 & 3.

It’s a tall 18 but a small bench so it balances.

Back