hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
If Nicks doesn’t play a tagger after seeing its success at GWS in a star studded midfield, we’ve chosen the wrong coach.

Even when we’ve played a tagger we’ve played a soft tag. Knight should be giving the preseason to show he can be our tagger. He’s not going to make it as a pure mid or forward, this is his chance.
Knight has been afforded many chances to develop as a tagger, he's just not very good at it.

I'm not too bothered by him having a spot on our list, but he's not going to trouble any of the games top line mids.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK, I guess?

Anyway. Just another sign that AFC should be congratulated for their outstanding PR damage control. It's only taken a month to turn the crowd demanding an overhaul of the entire club into one that celebrates the re-signing of Riley Knight.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No he hasn’t
Every one went bananas when he half stopped Duckwood one night at AO, but really he's never been nor will he ever be an effective tagger.

Guys like Danger, Kelly, Cripps etc that rip us to shreds aren't going to worry about a small vanilla mid like Riley. I don't disagree we need a tagging type and I'd be surprised if we don't try it..... it just shouldn't be Riley Knight.

If there's a spot for him it's probably as a defensive forward. Play on those Saad, Houil, Maynard rebounders and hit them.the other way.

eddi

Draftee
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like it. I think people forget that a number of normally quality players stalled or went backwards the last couple of years after the GF and the overcorrection of game plan. As others have mentioned, give him a year and see if he can reclaim his spark under a new coach and gameplan.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every one went bananas when he half stopped Duckwood one night at AO, but really he's never been nor will he ever be an effective tagger.

Guys like Danger, Kelly, Cripps etc that rip us to shreds aren't going to worry about a small vanilla mid like Riley. I don't disagree we need a tagging type and I'd be surprised if we don't try it..... it just shouldn't be Riley Knight.

If there's a spot for him it's probably as a defensive forward. Play on those Saad, Houil, Maynard rebounders and hit them.the other way.
You said he’s been given numerous opportunities tagging and have named once, he has not had the opportunities

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
OK, I guess?

Anyway. Just another sign that AFC should be congratulated for their outstanding PR damage control. It's only taken a month to turn the crowd demanding an overhaul of the entire club into one that celebrates the re-signing of Riley Knight.

What exactly is your beef here? That the club posted about Knight’s re-signing in our social media accounts? Seriously...

jacz72

Debutant
Oct 6, 2015
Aldinga, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I was about to click like on this hilarious mistaken identity tweet - but its already got 119 so that's that I guess

Attachments

• 119haha.png
    119haha.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 160

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You said he’s been given numerous opportunities tagging and have named once, he has not had the opportunities
He played the rest of the year in that role, and wasn't good.

The fact is, he isn't a very good player wherever he plays.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
On the subject of taggers, I would like to see Jake Kelly be given the opportunity to take on the role of negating the oppo's best midfielder.

He has a defensive mindset, by all reports, is an aerobic beast and loves the niggle. I also think he may have played a bit of midfield in his juniors.

I think he would be ideal as a negating player.

Knight is only thought of after his decent performance against Selwood that one time. Otherwise, has he really been that effective?

I just can't see a place in the team for him as we need to give games to Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl etc as their upside is much bigger than Riley's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What exactly is your beef here? That the club posted about Knight’s re-signing in our social media accounts? Seriously...
That the cohort that spent the entire season complaining about the club selecting underperforming established players instead of developing promising youngsters are celebrating the club extending the contract of an underperforming established player instead of developing promising youngsters.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
People forget just how much promise Riley showed before losing his way the last couple of years added to by the niggling injuries he's had to endure...

Thanks for posting! Yes, more of that, please.

extending the contract of an underperforming established player instead of developing promising youngsters.
Yeah, I don't think a 1 year contract for Knight is really something to get all glass half empty about. Let's see how he goes and not assume that he's going to get selected head of McHenry and the like under a new coach "because established player".

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's been saved by the fact we've already turned a significant portion of the list over. Odds on that he will get a years extension (or maybe a trip to the rookie list) to see if his rumored attitude issues can be ironed out.
he does look like a guy who doesn't handle criticism and is a mummas boy.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
he does look like a guy who doesn't handle criticism and is a mummas boy.
Well that's not reflective in the joy a bevy of his teammates have shown on his re-signing, obviously a well liked player among the playing group.
Personally I've got a good feeling about this re-signing, reckon having to endure a wait and the associated uncertainty might just spark Riley into gear and live up to the promise he showed early days.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well that's not reflective in the joy a bevy of his teammates have shown on his re-signing, obviously a well liked player among the playing group.
Personally I've got a good feeling about this re-signing, reckon having to endure a wait and the associated uncertainty might just spark Riley into gear and live up to the promise he showed early days.
Hope you're right and he bounces back.

Didn't mean he's not well liked.

I just see an Ollie Wines/sam jacobs type.
always berating themselves after a mistake.

Probably plays the clown a bit and gets away with some stuff for having a laugh.
Just think he seems like that sort of type to not take criticism well.

Reckon he's a real confidence player. Hopefully he gets some.

Edit:

Could also just be pot shotting him and know nothing of his character or fortitude :)

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't remember, point being he's a completely unremarkable player who we didn't need to give charity to.

David Mackay Mk2
Yeah but you’re making claims that aren’t true. We haven’t used him as a tagger for a fair while and not at all this year, so you can’t say he’s had his chance as a tagger.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah but you’re making claims that aren’t true. We haven’t used him as a tagger for a fair while and not at all this year, so you can’t say he’s had his chance as a tagger.
We played him on Selwood 3 times, once it half worked and twice he got touched up. I wouldn't waste my time with him as a tagger. IMO he'd make a better defensive forward than Murphy though.

Thinker

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think this will happen. I heard at the end of the season that Pyke told him in the exit interview that he would get delisted and to find a new club.
I've got no reason to doubt the person that told me that so all he signs point to nicks finding something for him.
I know for a fact that Pyke wasn't even at his exit interview.

Back