Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

It’s pretty hard to objectively judge the quality of recruiter when the player each recruiter drafts are developed in a different environment.

Seems easier to compare say the top 5 players of every team as these are generally very naturally talented players who would be good no matter where they where developed.

Maybe looking at first rounds picks vs coaches votes would be a good way to compare against other teams.

I wasn’t trying to misrepresent your point or get hung up on Myers for that matter. I was merely using him as an example of why you can’t just take quantity of games as an indication of success.

Injuries tanked his career, but he was a fairly consensus selection for where he went from memory, performed at a level commensurate to where he was drafted, and likely would have played 200 games had injuries not destroyed him. Superstars are few and far between, so judging a selection because they don't turn out to be a Brownlow medallist is a misnomer.

It's a fairly decent metric for what Lore is using it for; better players tend to play more games, both due to talent and durability. As Lore said, Myers played a fairly average number of games for a top 10 selection, performing at a fairly average level. If anything, it suggests that we have an unrealistic expectation as to what the career of a top 10 selection draftee will be.

Was there anyone that we could have drafted with the Joey level of skill, potential and ability to fill a critical role for us at pick 5?
Not even close
If he leaves next year as RFA we will be lucky to get pick 10 as compo.
Will we get someone with Joe's ability with pick 10 next year?

We'll match and get a better deal?

I wasn’t trying to misrepresent your point or get hung up on Myers for that matter. I was merely using him as an example of why you can’t just take quantity of games as an indication of success.
In the end he is really a failed pick for a top ten but it was more to do with injury. If he has no injury issues he plays 200 games and his best would have been good although not in the super star class.

we got someone with Joe's ability at pick 10 a few years back.

2 relatively new teams stretched a talent pool that was stretched to begin with. Many players have got careers by being list cloggers or not up to it, not just Essendon. And good luck to them as they dilute the product.
AFL really should have sent North and StKilda to the VFL to allow for GCS and GWS (not too late to rectify that either)

We had a list ready to go in 2013 and 2014. we shot ourselves in the foot with the flag tilt.
Can't really blame Dodoro for that.

The rebuild has been a little scattershot since then
Dev, Saad, Stringer, Shiel - all good pickups, but not in line with the drafting (i.e Parish and Merrett much like Dev in their role, McGrath very much like Shiel, etc).

AFL really should have sent North and StKilda to the VFL to allow for GCS and GWS (not too late to rectify that either)

We had a list ready to go in 2013 and 2014. we shot ourselves in the foot with the flag tilt.
Can't really blame Dodoro for that.

The rebuild has been a little scattershot since then
Dev, Saad, Stringer, Shiel - all good pickups, but not in line with the drafting (i.e Parish and Merrett much like Dev in their role, McGrath very much like Shiel, etc).
St. Kilda were in the best 3 teams in the league at the time, would have been a terrible call.

We will have had an extra year of Joey. That's worth a couple of wins.
The odds of a good pick turning into someone as valuable to the team as Joe are not as good as the odds of Joe deciding to stay.

A calculated risk. Worth it.

Plus the swans would trade for him if we match their offer.

We will have had an extra year of Joey. That's worth a couple of wins.
The odds of a good pick turning into someone as valuable to the team as Joe are not as good as the odds of Joe deciding to stay.

A calculated risk. Worth it.

Plus the swans would trade for him if we match their offer.

People need to look at the bigger picture - Once there is a consistent trend of clubs matching offers for RFA, the AFLPA will get rid of AFLPA - And the even bigger picture is the Daniher name is culturally important for EFC, so if JD leaves you want it to be on good terms.

People need to look at the bigger picture - Once there is a consistent trend of clubs matching offers for RFA, the AFLPA will get rid of AFLPA - And the even bigger picture is the Daniher name is culturally important for EFC, so if JD leaves you want it to be on good terms.
I think you meant AFPA will get rid of RFA, rather than themselves? Either way in 2020 if it is an option for us to match, and EFCs interests are served by matching then trading, then it’s what we should do. joe-and-the-family and the Swans need to be aware that we could and would match, and deal with it accordingly. it’s a game. Ideally we want the swans to strengthen our position or weaken theirs.

That is as big as the picture needs to be for EFC on this. The argument that we shouldn’t invoke a rule so that the rule doesn’t get changed to stop us invoking it seems a little flimsy to me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to think that someone was trying to be a smart arse when I pointed out the same thing. Stats can be read any which way you want them to.

And to think that someone was trying to be a smart arse when I pointed out the same thing. Stats can be read any which way you want them to.
You’re absolutely right that success is more than just career games.

The problem is that no one was ever arguing for that, so your disagreement is baseless.

As a result you don’t seem to be aware of what we actually were arguing for.

Certainly was. I feel like I have a quarter of the information on which to judge it though so might need to wait for the benefit of hindsight to know whether it’s as stupid as it seems right now.
TBH in the light of day I see the logic.

Joe goes down again? Move Hooker forward and Zerk goes back as he's ready now. Hurley goes down as well? Bring Hartley in.

We do have coverage.

TBH in the light of day I see the logic.

Joe goes down again? Move Hooker forward and Zerk goes back as he's ready now. Hurley goes down as well? Bring Hartley in.

We do have coverage.
We thought that last year too though, and hooker only ever played forward for a quarter at the end of some games. If it works out like that it’d be okay, but what if Hooker gets injured (touch wood)? It’s not like he’s as durable these days as he was for a while there..

We thought that last year too though, and hooker only ever played forward for a quarter at the end of some games. If it works out like that it’d be okay, but what if Hooker gets injured (touch wood)? It’s not like he’s as durable these days as he was for a while there..
True but Zerk is further along in his development then this time last year. Give him another pre-season and maybe the clubs backing him in to be ready to go where as this time last year they didn't?

And with no Brown we don't have the option anymore, if we're short up front Hooker has to go froward.

True but Zerk is further along in his development then this time last year. Give him another pre-season and maybe the clubs backing him in to be ready to go where as this time last year they didn't?

And with no Brown we don't have the option anymore, if we're short up front Hooker has to go froward.
Dare we hope?

I do sometimes wonder how they view each player’s role in the list management department as opposed to the way the coaches actually use them.

e.g. do they think of Laverde as a mid, Langford forward, Begley mid, Hooker forward, Francis forward, McKernan ruck, McKenna forward..?

Perhaps they consider brown as a defender..? 🤔 or as our third best swing man? 🤔🤔

Dare we hope?

I do sometimes wonder how they view each player’s role in the list management department as opposed to the way the coaches actually use them.

e.g. do they think of Laverde as a mid, Langford forward, Begley mid, Hooker forward, Francis forward, McKernan ruck, McKenna forward..?

Perhaps they consider brown as a defender..? 🤔 or as our third best swing man? 🤔🤔
Dare we hope?

Its pre-season! We're gonna win the flag!

And yes I often suspect there is a disconnect between list management and coaching

I think you meant AFPA will get rid of RFA, rather than themselves? Either way in 2020 if it is an option for us to match, and EFCs interests are served by matching then trading, then it’s what we should do. joe-and-the-family and the Swans need to be aware that we could and would match, and deal with it accordingly. it’s a game. Ideally we want the swans to strengthen our position or weaken theirs.

That is as big as the picture needs to be for EFC on this. The argument that we shouldn’t invoke a rule so that the rule doesn’t get changed to stop us invoking it seems a little flimsy to me.

It's not flimsy at all - You act for the good of the game and you give back to the Daniher legacy who have been great for the club - To do otherwise is peety-minded and vindictive.

It's not flimsy at all - You act for the good of the game and you give back to the Daniher legacy who have been great for the club - To do otherwise is peety-minded and vindictive.

We can work towards a positive outcome for all parties without becoming petty or vindictive. The clubs know the drill, the player agents know the drill. But you don't surrender or action your 'position' until you have to.

FWIW - I'm not advocating a brutalist approach to Joe's needs and feelings. If he is at the point where he can't go on in Melbourne in 6-12 months then that becomes a large factor in considerations. I just don't think you want to pack his bags for him right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back