Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm all for it and hope they come in but just was stunned that a Tassie paper would start this stuff up and give those against a reason to nix the idea when it's gaining such support.

I know, but that's the sort of 'cut off your nose to spite your face' sort of stuff they fork out. The Examiner cant help themselves. its ingrained.

I mean I agree with the criticism of the bit about a stadium at Macquarie point. Its a silly idea that would never fly, economically or especially politically. The area is far more valuable for the other uses its ear marked for.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I think the future is fine. Just not based of property prices.

Issues of QOL[The Tassie Quolls?] are more to the forefront I'd recon.

We wouldn't want the choking migration issues affecting Sydmel in particular.[But the stressed denizens of Melb. & Syd. would love to escape their polluted, crowded & crime-riddled cities for the peace, harmony & beauty of Tas. to attend an AFL game]
I thought you preferred the imminent Tas.19th team to be called the Devils?
The Quolls' name for your new team, however, is growing on me!

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought you preferred the imminent Tas.19th team to be called the Devils?
The Quolls' name for your new team, however, is growing on me!

Its all in the spelling. Quality of Life issues affect all large & growing cities.

Devils, Thylacines or Quolls, gotta be better than some other names currently in use I guess! ;)

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought this stuff was exaggerated by mainlanders and didn't exist?
Every state have there idiot reporters just because something is written in a newspaper doesn’t mean it represents the opinion of the general public I thought you would be smarter then that ! and I’m glad the people running gws can see the benefits they get from playing in Canberra if they pulled out like you suggested would be absolute madness.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Every state have there idiot reporters just because something is written in a newspaper doesn’t mean it represents the opinion of the general public I thought you would be smarter then that ! and I’m glad the people running gws can see the benefits they get from playing in Canberra if they pulled out like you suggested would be absolute madness.

Nice little rant.

It was a question considering it's a footy state I would of thought they would of not gone done that path right now.

As for Canberra. Haven't suggested we do pull out.(though it will happen)
Have said I thought we shouldn't of done it in the 1st place. We are a Western Sydney club trying to grow the game in Western Sydney.
Would of preferred we concentrate on that.

Not madness at all.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice little rant.

It was a question considering it's a footy state I would of thought they would of not gone done that path right now.

Have said I thought we shouldn't of done it in the 1st place. We are a Western Sydney club trying to grow the game in Western Sydney.

Not madness at all.

It would've made more sense for GWS to focus on their core area, one would have thought. Western Sydney is near 2million people. surely that's enough work for 1 team without adding the ACT to it.

Anyway, hopefully their will soon be 2 out of work FIFO clubs looking for a gig!! ;)

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice little rant.

Not madness at all.
Once again did you read my post like I said something a a reporter has written in a northern paper about team being based up north isn’t exactly huge news it’s there opinion not the majority of the states opinion the majority of people down here realises the team would need to based in Hobart it’s a nothing story people like you a trying to make a big deal about if you want to call this a rant so be it .

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Once again did you read my post like I said something a a reporter has written in a northern paper about team being based up north isn’t exactly huge news it’s there opinion not the majority of the states opinion the majority of people down here realises the team would need to based in Hobart it’s a nothing story people like you a trying to make a big deal about if you want to call this a rant so be it .

Unfortunately a lot do think it should be based in Launceston. They say it is more central for the state. Which is totally irrelevant.

Launceston was 'given' football by our Politicians. So the Northern Burghers think they have some rights to the AFL.

As said, half the games in Launy & Hobart, but the actual team really needs to based in the bigger city.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Bit like the nadium debate in Perth, where not if. :thumbsu:

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SEN Melb. Radio Lyon & Watson Program 29.10

An interesting discussion, with Ch. 7's AFL reporter, M. Stevens also.

Paraphrasing,

. T. Watson said he expects there will be more Thurs. night games in future years (ie after 2020).

. M. Stevens said he expects Thurs. night games will, in future years, become the main marquee game of the week, a more important game than the Fri. night game. "It will only grow".

. G. Lyon said, referring to his Ch. 9 network "We would love to show Thurs. night games".

There was no mention of Tas. joining as the 19th team, nor of the concomitant need, with 11 extra H & A games each season, to find 11 more time slots.
More jungle drums for Tas. joining c. 2025?

EDIT:

SEN Radio A. Maher & R. Murphy program 29.10

R. Oakley, former AFL CEO, was asked by Maher if he thought Tas. should join the AFL soon, as a 19th team.
Oakley said, paraphrasing, that Tas. already has good AFL TV ratings, so the AFL would reject basing a team in Tasmania, if adding Tasmanian TV viewers was the only criteria.
Oakley also said "...the AFL can afford to put in a team in Tasmania...placing a team in Tasmania would resonate well with the rest of the football community. People think it is the right thing to do now".

Maher later said to Murphy "I think a Tas. team is the right thing to do now...the game will be better if Tasmania joins". Bob Murphy said he agreed.

Maher also said that, despite some saying the next AFL Rights deal might be be lower, he thinks it will be about the same. I inferred from this comment he thought concerns about future AFL funds should not deter an AFL decision to soon agree to introduce a Tas. 19th team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
SEN Melb. Radio Lyon & Watson Program 29.10

An interesting discussion, with Ch. 7's AFL reporter, M. Stevens also.

Paraphrasing,

. T. Watson said he expects there will be more Thurs. night games in future years (ie after 2020).

. M. Stevens said he expects Thurs. night games will, in future years, become the main marquee game of the week, a more important game than the Fri. night game. "It will only grow".

. G. Lyon said, referring to his Ch. 9 network "We would love to show Thurs. night games".

There was no mention of Tas. joining as the 19th team, nor of the concomitant need, with 11 extra H & A games each season, to find 11 more time slots.
More jungle drums for Tas. joining c. 2025?

Some of us live in hope.:)

So that'll do me. ;)

bald avenger

Draftee
Oct 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find this proposal incredible. Have no lessons been learnt from the money wasted at Bellerive Oval?

Why build a stadium that only holds 27000 people, in a location where there is limited parking?

Why not build a new 50000 seat stadium on the site of the TCA ground? There are lots of access/egress
points, it commands a wonderful view of the city and river, there is plenty of parking, people can walk up
from the city or ferry terminals, or shuttle buses can be utilised. It could even have a roof like Marvel
stadium in Melbourne and could be excavated into the hill to minimise the visual impact above ground.

Another long term possibility with the Aqutic Centre, Tennis Centre and Athletics Track nearby could be
a bid to host a Commonwealth Games.

Surely this idea has more merit than a makeshift stadium (see Bellerive Oval) where there is no room for
expansion/ugrade. What is the point of 50000 people pledging to be members of a club when only half of
them can fit into the ground??

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find this proposal incredible. Have no lessons been learnt from the money wasted at Bellerive Oval?

Why build a stadium that only holds 27000 people, in a location where there is limited parking?

Why not build a new 50000 seat stadium on the site of the TCA ground? There are lots of access/egress
points, it commands a wonderful view of the city and river, there is plenty of parking, people can walk up
from the city or ferry terminals, or shuttle buses can be utilised. It could even have a roof like Marvel
stadium in Melbourne and could be excavated into the hill to minimise the visual impact above ground.

Another long term possibility with the Aqutic Centre, Tennis Centre and Athletics Track nearby could be

Surely this idea has more merit than a makeshift stadium (see Bellerive Oval) where there is no room for
expansion/ugrade. What is the point of 50000 people pledging to be members of a club when only half of

The proposal has already copped the death stare, so just forget it. We've stuck with Boot Park. Nice ground but a dumb stupid place to build it in the first place.

I've heard the TCA argument so many times.
1) whats the point of a good view? Your watching the footy FFS.
2) people don't like walking up & down hills for anything.
3) their is NOT plenty of space for parking. Most of it is hilly bushland & is crown land. They will never turn it into carparking space.
4) Shuttle busses from where? people aren't going to bus to the city then wait & bus up & down the hill. Nor on the ferry either.

I still think if we had an option then KGV would be the best place. Easily enlarged to hold 25-30k. Has good Access to the Brooker Hwy & Bowen bridge, heaps of parking within an easy flat 5-10min walk from the DEC, Showgrounds & the Elwick race track, bus mall nearby, possible light rail next to it.

Anyway.

The option of North Hobart Oval was stuffed 30 yrs ago by the Hobart city Council.

bald avenger

Draftee
Oct 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
You havent been to the area around the TCA if you think there is nowhere to park. Shuttle buses can run from Springfield, Rosny, Glenorchy, Kingston and the waterfront to carry people to the TCA precinct. That means parking needs are alleviated to a degree in any case. The view, well, just like those from Bellerive Oval is a selling point for tourism in my opinion. Maybe expand your thinking a little instead of looking for the negatives. This is far superior to the Macquarie Point idea.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You havent been to the area around the TCA if you think there is nowhere to park. Shuttle buses can run from Springfield, Rosny, Glenorchy, Kingston and the waterfront to carry people to the TCA precinct. That means parking needs are alleviated to a degree in any case. The view, well, just like those from Bellerive Oval is a selling point for tourism in my opinion. Maybe expand your thinking a little instead of looking for the negatives. This is far superior to the Macquarie Point idea.

I've been to the TCA for footy & cricket since the late 1960's. When peter Hudson played his first game in 1975 they had about 6000 people in the place. We took a bus to the city & walked up the hill. Not now.

You cant park in bushland. How many cars would you want to fit in? Its ok for an SFL game with 400 spectators.

people wont catch busses to work here, they certainly won't bother with them to get to the TCA.

people won't walk up hill, anywhere, these days. People are lazy.

Negative? or just realistic.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unemployment still at 6%, that's the stat that matters. Compare that to Sydney's 2% as quoted in the same article. A viable team needs supporters with money and corporate sponsors, i.e. Jobs and lots of them. Everything else is basically window dressing.

Not everyone with a job has money. under employment & wage stagnation are serious national problems. Cost of living factors also affect so many people who are 'employed'. Sydney people spend much more time commuting to work so maybe less inclined to travel to games in the first place??

Its also amazing what people will do to support their club. lots of pensioners & low income people have footy club memberships. Unemployment may be 6%, but many others ARE employed.

So yes all such figures are worth comment, but also some analysis.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The proposal has already copped the death stare, so just forget it. We've stuck with Boot Park. Nice ground but a dumb stupid place to build it in the first place.

I've heard the TCA argument so many times.
1) whats the point of a good view? Your watching the footy FFS.
2) people don't like walking up & down hills for anything.
3) their is NOT plenty of space for parking. Most of it is hilly bushland & is crown land. They will never turn it into carparking space.
4) Shuttle busses from where? people aren't going to bus to the city then wait & bus up & down the hill. Nor on the ferry either.

I still think if we had an option then KGV would be the best place. Easily enlarged to hold 25-30k. Has good Access to the Brooker Hwy & Bowen bridge, heaps of parking within an easy flat 5-10min walk from the DEC, Showgrounds & the Elwick race track, bus mall nearby, possible light rail next to it.

Anyway.

The option of North Hobart Oval was stuffed 30 yrs ago by the Hobart city Council.
Normally like your posts but disagree here the domain is buy far the most central location for a stadium pretty much in the middle of the Glenorchy eastern shore and kingbourgh areas and there is a large amount of flat land when you have a good look up there it’s a huge area with multiple sports ground and bush areas that could be converted kgv might be a good oval but it’s surrounded mostly buy houses there’s very little parking even at tsl games if you say people won’t walk up the domain then they definitely won’t walk from the dec the main thing it has going for it is being next to the train track but who knows if the trains will ever happen

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Population of hobart makes a 50k seater a huge waste of money

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Normally like your posts but disagree here the domain is buy far the most central location for a stadium pretty much in the middle of the Glenorchy eastern shore and kingbourgh areas and there is a large amount of flat land when you have a good look up there it’s a huge area with multiple sports ground and bush areas that could be converted kgv might be a good oval but it’s surrounded mostly buy houses there’s very little parking even at tsl games if you say people won’t walk up the domain then they definitely won’t walk from the dec the main thing it has going for it is being next to the train track but who knows if the trains will ever happen

Fine, its all about discussion & opinion.

I know where the Domain is. Ive walked around & over most of it. (I played cricket on the old TCA ground. Its a great bit of mainly bushland next to the city centre.

It is hilly, it is bushy. I really doubt the HCC & the people who know & love this area will let it be bulldozed & concreted even more than it already has been, for a sports stadium, without a big fight.

Also people won't walk up the hill. Te city parking is bad enough so you're talking about a bus to the city & walk up that steep hill. People won't. (Maybe build a cable car!!!!;)). They also won't catch busses.

The dec & showgrounds are a short flat 5-6 min walk up the street from KGV. The train line is next to it. The Bus mall is 100 metres away. The Brooker HWY is close by for North South exit, the Bowen bridge to get to the east. The ground only needs the grandstands.

I'd love an inner city stadium. I just don't see where it could go, logically or politically.

I see the access to KGV as being the 2nd best option. I did see a study done years ago about KGV which identified thousands of car parking options within that short 5-10min walk. If KGV was developed I'd recon between that & MONA, they would build the light rail system.

Its simply the best realistic option I can see. I still see us being stuck with Boot Park. The stupidity of that is becoming more apparent as time goes by.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
TCA is also on the heritage list.

I love my tennis. parking is horrible up on the Domain when the Hobart International is on. And that is for a crowd of 1K odd. There would be too much opposition to building a large car park at the Domain. The Hill is too steep to walk up for a lot of people. (either being too old or lazy)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
TCA is also on the heritage list.

I love my tennis. parking is horrible up on the Domain when the Hobart International is on. And that is for a crowd of 1K odd. There would be too much opposition to building a large car park at the Domain. The Hill is too steep to walk up for a lot of people. (either being too old or lazy)
I remember the first thing Tassie cricket won was the ODD Gillette cup final at the TCA in 1979, beating WA. About 12000 squished into the place. We were smashed!! Beer cans flying everywhere. Rolled down the hill into the first pub we could find. I think it was the Red Lion Hotel. Its a wonder I can remember anything. It was a eeeeuuuuuuggge day for the boys!!! I can remember the game & struggling over the fence, Cascade Pale can in hand!!, to crowd in front of the old members stand & chanting for Flat Jack Simmonds who captained Tassie. :sunglasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back