News Official 2020 Fixture

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Under no circumstance should we be trading out next years first 2 round picks.
Based on that draw we should be bottom 3 or 4. No doubt. I'm struggling to find many wins on that fixture.
The only way we can trade out next years picks is if we get something spectacular back.

In reality, if we are super smart, we should go full youth movement and tank the season. Finish bottom 2-3 and load up in a second consecutive draft.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
s**t fixture (I refuse to call it a draw cause it isn't random, the FA Cup is a draw), but what did we expect? We've been rubbish so it's easy for the AFL to justify it.

Once again Port get the first showdown and the better timeslot, cause the AFL know if they made the second one a Port home game at 3:20 on a Sunday and they are going bad their fans won't show.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Exactly. I don't think enough attention to where and when you play teams has as much influence on a result as the straight up head to head contest. Would rather play all the tough teams at home and the weaker sides away.

Playing most of the weaker sides at home is like being given a mulligan after you hit a hole in one.
Yeah but it builds confidence, something we have lacked the last 2 seasons and is super important. We just had that season where we played the tough teams at home and were demoralised, frustrated and put more pressure on ousselves in away games..... doesn't matter how you get to September as long as you play your best footy in that month

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I would love to see a stat of teams that played against Geelong at Geelong in the last 15 years.

Sydney 14
Melbourne 12
Kangaroos 12
Adelaide 11
Brisbane 11
Fremantle 11
Port 10
Bulldogs 9
West Coast 8
Richmond 6
St Kilda 5
Gold Coast 5
GWS 5
Carlton 2
Hawthorn 1

Essendon and Collingwood have been apologies for a number of years.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I get people are throwing the toys out the cot at the draw and rightly so but we do play the easier teams at home, which we are more likely to win than not, I don't think bottom 4 is a sure thing as some are making it out to be.

I however would be ok if we played mostly youth to develop them and that means we finish a tad lower, but we still have to draft the right players to make us better again.

Yeah but it builds confidence, something we have lacked the last 2 seasons and is super important. We just had that season where we played the tough teams at home and were demoralised, frustrated and put more pressure on ousselves in away games..... doesn't matter how you get to September as long as you play your best footy in that month

That is the silver lining. If the Crows by some miracle play finals football next year it will be arguably their best H&A effort in the history of the club.

As a Melbourne based member I look forward to those local games in Melbourne, now do I pack the car for Geelong, lament that I can't go climb Ayers Rock in Alice or load the caravan onto the Spirit of Tasmania. Yeah being a Melbourne based Crows paid up member is stella value.

But they're not a tenant at the MCG. They moved to Marvel when it opened in 2000, but still play a few of their bigger games at the MCG (similar to how MCG tenants play some games at Marvel).
Of course they're a tenant. They "rent" the stadium for their home games. Essendon is a dual tenant of Marvel and the MCG.

If the AFL was serious about giving non-Victorian teams greater access to the MCG in compensation for having the GF there for the next 30 years, they would schedule us there as much as possible. That includes playing dual tenants like Essendon and Carlton at the MCG instead of Marvel

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong away and hawks in tassie yay!

We (WCE) have the same. Plus two trips to Queensland. Yay VFL!!! 🙄🤬

Friday night appears to be either Collingwood or Richmond night. Although I note Collingwood is travelling to Perth twice in the space of a month late in the season, and Richmond’s travel is scheduled throughout the second part of the season. So at least they (VFL) can say they “tried” to make it hard.

We (WCE) have the same. Plus two trips to Queensland. Yay VFL!!! 🙄🤬

Friday night appears to be either Collingwood or Richmond night. Although I note Collingwood is travelling to Perth twice in the space of a month late in the season, and Richmond’s travel is scheduled throughout the second part of the season. So at least they (VFL) can say they “tried” to make it hard.

I'm sure the AFL are pissed they can't schedule club to play each other more than twice in the H&A. Maybe next year they will have a new theme round called Revenue Round.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
What.
A.
Terrible.
Fixture.

I'm saying it now

giphy.gif

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
See I am happy to accept that we had an average year, we deserve average time slots, but it swings far too much for clubs like us and probably West Coast.

An average year and we are getting some bottom 4 all the twilights and crappy time slots (and mostly on Foxtel without the commercial exposure). A top 4 year and we get just "good" time slots, not great.

Can guarantee that the year, and any year, where Carlton perform as well as we did last year, they go into the next with a dream fixture. Back to every second Friday night.

We have to make a grand final to get maybe 3 Friday nights... all against big Melbourne clubs anyway.

We're still doing the heavy lifting in the NT while the other team gets paid a ton of money for us to be there.

We should be too big and powerful to be playing games on non-finals grounds in non-AFL locations.

Not fussed about who we play, 2020 is not our year, finishing 9th,10th,11th won't feel any better than 12-16th.

Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would love to see a stat of teams that played against Geelong at Geelong in the last 15 years.

Including 2020, that will be 14 times at the venue for the Crows in 19 seasons. If 11 losses in a row there doesn't become 12 in R23 I'll be flabbergasted. Unless the Cats are 3 games clear on top and play their reserves team! We can only hope...

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Imagine being a Victorian club at the moment -

Club: "We have lots of supporters already, but we want more money"
VFL: "Sure we will give you all the primetime TV games"

Club: "We really like winning and want to win more"
VFL: "Sure how about we give you almost all of your games at home"

Club: "We don't like losing grand finals"
VFL: "No worries, we will make sure the grand final is at your home venue every year. That way you only have to walk from your clubrooms to the game"

Club: "Gee thanks. By the way we think you are doing an excellent job and have hit all your KPI's. Have a pay rise"
VFL: "Thanks, we like money as well. Is there anything else we can do for you??"

:sick:

I F'ING HATE THE VFL.

Back