News 2020 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan
I am looking forward to the day where our MCG/Marvel split is 10-7 rather than the opposite way around.
The draw is never easy - there are no easy games really - happy to have North, Saints and Swans twice, if we are improving need to have four wins out of these double ups alone. Already beat the dogs this year so hopefully add one more win out of 2 games there and we're at 5 wins from our double up games, that's the pass mark. Add another 5 or 6 wins throughout and we'll get to 10/11 - no excuses really. If you want to start to challenging for top 4 in the early part of the decade we need to be looking at all games as winnable from next season. Bring it on I say.

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
I have no problems with getting no Friday Night games, the AFL have now clearly said it's a performance based privilege, and is good motivation for the players and coaches to get a move on.

Likewise, happy to do our thing away from the disproportionate Friday night glare (would've been happy to give up the opening Thursday slot too, for that matter), but the narrative around Carlton (in particular) needing to 'earn' Friday night rights through consistency of competitiveness is bollocks - Melbourne featuring on three Friday nights attests to that.

Just all makey-uppy arbitrary nonsense for which the AFL vainly attempt to reverse-engineer justifications.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Fixture landed. Okay, fam - lets assess.

Pros
- Killer start to the season with big crowds and two arvo games - all four (arguably) winnable
- We do not leave Melbourne for the last 7 weeks of the season. Could be huge if we get momentum towards a finals berth
- I get to see the boys live again on the Coast in 2020

Cons
-
Not playing Suns twice. WTF
- Travelling to SA twice in a month (good for SA fans though!)
- No Friday night primetime games (bar Thursdays early on)
- Only four MCG home games (Liddle needs to work on this for 2021)

5 Matty ;)

Essendon*
North
Collingwood
Eagles
Richmond

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Home games against Essendon and Collingwood and 2x Richmond games (gate shared) is a plus for the bottom dollar.

Only negative is only 1 games against the sun, however we have played them twice each of the last two year and lost once each time.

Happy with the 2 games against Swans, however not too happy about North, Dogs and Saints, as for average teams, they always smash us (except last year).

Would have preferred 2 games against Freo, Crows, Port, Dees, Dons, Pies, Hawks etc.

Don't care about the Friday night games from personal preference, however for the exposure and bottom dollar, it is crap we get none.

I just don't get it... there are 18 teams and each team plays 22 games a year. So Within 12 games you can schedule everyone to play at least one Friday night game and then the remaining rounds can be shared among the better performers.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
11 home games & 6 away games.
Now you just getting greedy.
We have to play 5 games interstate in a normal season.
4 is too low for a fair run league when 8/17th of our opposing sides home games are from other states.
5 interstate games of 11 away games is what all clubs from this state should have.
Any only having four are not putting in their fair share of interstate trips.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Now you just getting greedy.
We have to play 5 games interstate in a normal season.
4 is too low for a fair run league when 8/17th of our opposing sides home games are from other states.
5 interstate games of 11 away games is what all clubs from this state should have.
Any only having four are not putting in their fair share of interstate trips.

Have allowed for 5 interstate games. :p

11 home games at the MCG
6 away games at the MCG
5 Interstate games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don’t like the whining each year that accompanies the fixture, it’s not a draw, most of it is done by request to maximise $$$$$ for the AFL and clubs anyway.
What I hate though, is playing both SA teams in SA, for the smart people out there, is it possible to have a simple rule, where if you play one SA, WA, NSW or QLD team away, you play the other at home?

It would mean that, every team travels to each state at a bare minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back