List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you go into a bit more depth on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most clubs in the AFL go with the league sponsored Irish talent identification and development system under Marty Clarke, that's why you hear a lot about multiple clubs being linked to an Irish prospect the majority of the time. You don't hear that with Hawthorn because they do their own scouting.

Most clubs in the AFL go with the league sponsored Irish talent identification and development system under Marty Clarke, that's why you hear a lot about multiple clubs being linked to an Irish prospect the majority of the time. You don't hear that with Hawthorn because they do their own scouting.

Wasn't aware of that - thanks for sharing. Given the number of Irish players in the league these days that are really talented and having a large impact; and the fact we don't have one yet (Glass and Nash are no certs for mine), are we doing the right thing?

Wasn't aware of that - thanks for sharing. Given the number of Irish players in the league these days that are really talented and having a large impact; and the fact we don't have one yet (Glass and Nash are no certs for mine), are we doing the right thing?

We have two Irish players who have tasted AFL football and contributed strongly at times.

You could compare that to the wider league who have had a considerable amount of Irish imports on lists that have never played a game. On average, I would say that our talent ID systems are performing better.

You'd say it hasn't worked at this point, and odds are against both based on their outings so far. But hopefully it clicks for them this season. Either way we will know by the end of the season.

You'd say it hasn't worked at this point, and odds are against both based on their outings so far. But hopefully it clicks for them this season. Either way we will know by the end of the season.
Still very excited by Nash, not sure what you are not seeing

Still very excited by Nash, not sure what you are not seeing

I'm the same, I think Nash could be one of the better Irish exports. Statistically speaking, along with * we're the best side at translating Irish imports to game time. We've targeted 3, of which 2 have played AFL games with one never really having a chance as he decided to remain in Ireland. The AFL average is 36% and we're running at a 67% clip.

TeamCount of VFL/AFL debutCount of PlayerPercentage
Adelaide
2​
0.00%​
Brisbane
3​
7​
42.86%​
Carlton
4​
8​
50.00%​
Collingwood
2​
6​
33.33%​
Essendon
2​
3​
66.67%​
Fremantle
1​
0.00%​
Geelong
1​
4​
25.00%​
Greater Western Sydney
1​
0.00%​
Hawthorn
2​
3​
66.67%​
Melbourne
4​
10​
40.00%​
North Melbourne
3​
0.00%​
Port Adelaide
1​
0.00%​
Richmond
1​
2​
50.00%​
St Kilda
3​
8​
37.50%​
Sydney
2​
6​
33.33%​
West Coast Eagles
1​
0.00%​
Western Bulldogs
1​
0.00%​
Grand Total
24​
67​
35.82%​

I was assuming that this independent scouting has been going for a few years already?

If Nash becomes a good player that contributes to a winning side then I'd call it a success, but until then it hasn't been one (as yet). Hopefully Nash and Glass really kick on this coming season.

Wasn't Nash's younger brother down at Waverley late in the season?

There is word that we have another Irish prospect in the traps, whether or not that's Conor's younger brother or not I'm not sure.

He seems a similar size so potentially he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey said in his mock draft, "They have nominated Harrison Pepper as a possible Next Generation Academy pick, and could get him automatically as a category B rookie if he goes undrafted". So it looks like Pepper will be a Cat B rookie.
This is good news. Looking forward to seeing what Pepper can do at VFL level next season. His back end of the year was really good for Gippsland Power.

Probably lack the room for him, with CJ,
I would think they might put CJ on the Cat A rookie list rather than Cat B, enabling him to play at any time, rather than having to wait for an LTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back