2019-20 La Liga and Spanish Football fred

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Big game tonight with the Madrid derby.

Barcelona, who haven't won any of their last 8 away games, are away at Getafe. You have to wonder who decided to buy Griezmann when you see Valverde playing him out of position out on the left. What a waste of money. So much meh around the club at the moment.

I was hoping this season Deportivo La Coruna would fight their way back into the top division, but the way things are going at moment I think they are going to struggle to stay in the Segunda. Depor drew 1-1 with Mirandes and haven't won a game since the opening weekend. They currently sit 19th, in one of the four relegation positions and are playing terrible football. Things are not looking rosy at the Riazor.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Big game tonight with the Madrid derby.

Barcelona, who haven't won any of their last 8 away games, are away at Getafe. You have to wonder who decided to buy Griezmann when you see Valverde playing him out of position out on the left. What a waste of money. So much meh around the club at the moment.
Griezmann can play anywhere across a front four

He used to be a left winger/left forward at Sociedad

Problem is look at who Barca has in their side, something has to give to fit them all in

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're right, he can play there but why spend 120m on a player if you're not going to play him in his best position? No wonder some players were openly against him coming and wanted Neymar instead, who's a right fit on the wing.

It's getting worse at La Coruna, a 2-0 home defeat against equal last Malaga sees Depor dead las and 5pts from safety. We have only won 1 of our opening 12 games and that was in the first week. Spain's Yo-Yo club is hitting the floor. :(

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
It's getting worse at La Coruna, a 2-0 home defeat against equal last Malaga sees Depor dead las and 5pts from safety. We have only won 1 of our opening 12 games and that was in the first week. Spain's Yo-Yo club is hitting the floor. :(
That's bad for the league if Malaga are bottom with you lot too

Mismanagement?

That's bad for the league if Malaga are bottom with you lot too

Mismanagement?
I don't know about Malaga, but La Coruna are having some financial problems to go with the on-field issues. The board contemplated resigning en masse after the loss to Malaga, but unfortunately they decided to stay and help dig us further into the quagmire. La Coruna have been a bit of basket case for more than a decade now, and the current board have little or no idea of how to repair the ship. I don't think La Coruna will make it back to the top flight until the current board is gone and new management with an idea of how to build a winning club. Can't see it happening soon. :(

We drew 1-1 away at fellow strugglers Racing Santander (currently second last) this morning, so we are still last and now 4pts from safety.

It's nice to know that we are not the only former regular Primera League club struggling at or near the bottom, there are a few others within 2/3 points of the relegation zone. Of course, we are the only one to have won a La Liga title.
Malaga were last in La Liga in 2017/18.
Racing Santander were last in the La Liga in in 2011/12 and are the reigning Segunda Division B (3rd Tier) champions.
Real Oviedo were last in the La Liga in 2000/01 and have been working their way back after being as low as the Tercera Division (4th Tier) only 10 years ago.
Tenerife were last in last in the La Liga in 2009/10 and dropped to the Segunda Division B in 2012/13.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I don't know about Malaga, but La Coruna are having some financial problems to go with the on-field issues. The board contemplated resigning en masse after the loss to Malaga, but unfortunately they decided to stay and help dig us further into the quagmire. La Coruna have been a bit of basket case for more than a decade now, and the current board have little or no idea of how to repair the ship. I don't think La Coruna will make it back to the top flight until the current board is gone and new management with an idea of how to build a winning club. Can't see it happening soon. :(

We drew 1-1 away at fellow strugglers Racing Santander (currently second last) this morning, so we are still last and now 4pts from safety.

It's nice to know that we are not the only former regular Primera League club struggling at or near the bottom, there are a few others within 2/3 points of the relegation zone. Of course, we are the only one to have won a La Liga title.
Malaga were last in La Liga in 2017/18.
Racing Santander were last in the La Liga in in 2011/12 and are the reigning Segunda Division B (3rd Tier) champions.
Real Oviedo were last in the La Liga in 2000/01 and have been working their way back after being as low as the Tercera Division (4th Tier) only 10 years ago.
Tenerife were last in last in the La Liga in 2009/10 and dropped to the Segunda Division B in 2012/13.
Oviedo are a solid sized club who've produced solid players over the years, I think Mata and Michu came from there.

Are Murcia back in the Adelante, or are they in the Tercia still?

Deportivo Alaves were a biggish sort of club down in the Tercia for a while after a decent run in the top flight 15-20 years ago (they made a UEFA Cup final which they lost to Liverpool in 2001 I think), they're back in the top flight though and doing ok, so it can be done I guess, getting back up there.

Just need the right crop, the right coach and some financial stability.

I am now absolutely convinced Deportivo La Coruna will be relegated to the third tier at the end the season, if not sooner. After winning the season opener Depor have taken 9pts (all draws) from their next 17 games to sit 2 games from relegation safety. We are the most hopeless team in all of Spain with the worst attack and defence in the Segunda Division.

Oh Well! At least we have the memories of 1999/2000 although they are fading fast.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Joaquin Sanchez, what a man! 38 years old, the oldest guy on the field (including the referee), 21st season in professional football, first ever hat-trick and that after 20 minutes of playing, scoring a quarter of the goals that Athletic have conceded so far this season. Currently in talks with Betis about extending his contract :thumbsu:. Great player and an absolute clown off the field.

WE’RE OFF THE BOTTOM.

WOOHOO!!

Deportivo La Coruna have won their third straight beating Racing Santander 2-1 to move up to 21st, and only 1 point from safety.

1579254080423.png

It's very tight at the bottom of the table. Hopefully the recently improvement in form is a good sign a Depor can move out the relegation zone.

Our next game is at home against leader Cadiz, a surprise win would be fantastic.

Last edited:
This morning La Coruna defeated league leaders Cadiz 1-0, its our fourth win on the trot and sees us move up to 20th, now only a point from safety.

In December, La Coruna went through a major upheaval with the sacking of coach Luis Cesar Sampedro with the entire board followed a few weeks later.
Fernando Vazquez has been installed as Depor's new coach and Fernando Vidal as Club President.

Hopefully the new blood will lead to stability and a climb up the table. Early signs have been positive.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Five wins on the trot sees La Coruna jump out of the relegation zone. Amazing turn around after winning one of their first twenty.
Coruna should never have been down there in the first place

Can only hope they build on this, get midtable safety, then next season have a crack at promotion

Coruna should never have been down there in the first place

Can only hope they build on this, get midtable safety, then next season have a crack at promotion
Stuff that, we are only 9pts from the playoff spots and there are still 17 games to go, I say we push for promotion this season. The teams above us aren't in the greatest of form, I think we have a bit of shot is we can continue our streak.

Our next three games are against Las Palmas (H), Alcorcon (A) and Girona (H), three very winnable games.

Capture3.JPG

From one win in the first twenty games to the playoffs, it would be the most amazing turn arounds in football history.

Deportivo La Coruna won it's sixth consecutive victory, 2-1 over Las Palmas, to jump to 15th, only 7pts from the playoffs.

Last edited:
Back