Sam Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. Complete whipping boy when he was here, and for good reason.

He had a better season than Burton really.

Impey has been better at Hawthorn as far as you would expect from being older and more mature in his outlook as well as settling into a position in defence. Still capable of memorably horrendous clangers which now get overlooked because he's not playing for us.

Sam was a solid role player at AFL level. No one doubted his commitment and willingness to extract every last drop of ability. But he should not have been the automatic selection he became.

I liked the little man and I always went in to bat for him -sorry and disappointed that he got delisted but with some small forwards in the mix - Woodcock, Cox, Farrell and Patmore - the door has suddenly become ajar.

It’s strange we traded/delisted players at the opposite ends of the coach’s pecking order. Billy was popular but got no games, Sammie also popular but got plenty of games and Dougal some where in the middle, once again also popular but spent plenty of time with Maggie’s. By popular I mean a fan favourite.

I would suggest at times the club doesn’t know what they are doing.

Carn. In Ken's time, how many players who've moved on have played better elsewhere?

Trengove - No
Lobbe - No
Moore - No
Pittard - Yes
Newton - No
Young - No
O'Shea - No
Wingard - No
AhChee - No
Hombsch - No
Polec - No
Impey - 50/50
Austin - No
Snelling - Yes
Pittard's improved on his end of time at Port form, but still behind his best at Port.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad to see Sam Gray go and I hope the same tough stance is applied to a couple of others next year.

Sam Gray will nominate for the Draft and hopefully he will get picked up. This would be win for the PAFC, who obviously think we can do without him and a win for Sam who obviously thinks he has more to offer at AFL level.

Carn. In Ken's time, how many players who've moved on have played better elsewhere?

Trengove - No
Lobbe - No
Moore - No
Pittard - Yes
Newton - No
Young - No
O'Shea - No
Wingard - No
AhChee - No
Hombsch - No
Polec - No
Impey - 50/50
Austin - No
Snelling - Yes

Prior to his knee injury Impey was a much better footballer for the Hawks this year than he ever was for us.

But yeah, I don't see Sam Gray as somebody who's gonna come back to bite us.

I’m so glad we invested 20 games this year into a man we were gunna delist. Definitely better option then playing a Farrell or woodcock. Or hell could had switched it up and played an actual tall like Billy Frampton and maybe he would still be at the club.

in any case, have always liked Sammy. True port boy. Good job mate. Hopefully we see you run around in the magpies again one day

96 Power and 98 Magpies games for the EP zone product. Would have been nice for him to have had triple figures in each team. At least he got life membership of the Club.
Real goer, played with his heart, got the max from himself, but lacked the polish with his skills to set him apart.

He probs needed to go, to allow some younger players to develop (hopefully they do), but it is sad that a loyal servant can go like that but far less deserving types are still on the list due to mismanagement and ill thought through long term contracts.

Hope he gets a gig elsewhere in the AFL, otherwise can see him joining his bro Tommy at WWT and tearing the Maggies a few new ones :unamused:

I’m so glad we invested 20 games this year into a man we were gunna delist. Definitely better option then playing a Farrell or woodcock. Or hell could had switched it up and played an actual tall like Billy Frampton and maybe he would still be at the club.

in any case, have always liked Sammy. True port boy. Good job mate. Hopefully we see you run around in the magpies again one day
We offered him a one year contract. He's not signing it because someone else is offering him 2 years.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, you can't change last season, but at least it won't happen next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sad to see Sam go. Has been one of my favourites as he is so clever and plays well above his size and strength. Never gives up on contests either.

I don’t think our side needs him anymore but I hope he can find a place at a new club and hopefully play a bunch more games.

source.gif

Good luck wherever you land Sam.
Scott Lycett dislikes this

Trengove - No
Lobbe - No
Moore - No
Pittard - Yes
Newton - No
Young - No
O'Shea - No
Wingard - No
AhChee - No
Hombsch - No
Polec - No
Impey - 50/50
Austin - No
Snelling - Yes

Maybe he will enjoy his footy more...

96 Power and 98 Magpies games for the EP zone product. Would have been nice for him to have had triple figures in each team. At least he got life membership of the Club.
Real goer, played with his heart, got the max from himself, but lacked the polish with his skills to set him apart.

He probs needed to go, to allow some younger players to develop (hopefully they do), but it is sad that a loyal servant can go like that but far less deserving types are still on the list due to mismanagement and ill thought through long term contracts.

Hope he gets a gig elsewhere in the AFL, otherwise can see him joining his bro Tommy at WWT and tearing the Maggies a few new ones :unamused:
My view as well.

Would rather Sam than Cam, but I guess that one of Sam's reasons for going is he sees himself at the higher level.

Wish he got the triple figures, especially at AFL. Hope he returns to the SANFL in a year or two.

Best of luck Sam, and at least now you won't be blamed for a loss.

Maybe you might even get to play as a normal mid/forward, not as a tall forward!

Nah I’m not going to shitcan the club over this. They did the right thing and offered a 1 year deal to a fringe player seemingly on the way out with young ones coming through. He chose not to sign it. It wasn’t a case of the club chose cam Sutcliffe over Sam gray.

The problem is Hinkley gave him 20 games this year that could’ve been used on a younger player. However, they probably weren’t to know the end of season outcome and thankfully Hinkley isn’t in charge of list management.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually feel bad for Sam, he’s been badly advised.

It wasn’t just that he didn’t sign the original offer, he (or more accurately; his management) thought it would be a good ploy to counter with numbers that were out of this realm, numbers that he knew he was never going to get just to buy time to get elsewhere.

It was straight out of the Polec playbook, only it turns out he never got to his first choice club as they didn’t prioritise a deal for him.

I actually feel bad for Sam, he’s been badly advised.

It wasn’t just that he didn’t sign the original offer, he (or more accurately; his management) thought it would be a good ploy to counter with numbers that were out of this realm, numbers that he knew he was never going to get just to buy time to get elsewhere.

It was straight out of the Polec playbook, only it turns out he never got to his first choice club as they didn’t prioritise a deal for him.
Could he be left on the scrap heap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back