Autopsy Bulldogs 2020 Fixture

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Now that the full 2020 fixture has FINALLY been released, what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it or not? How do you think it will affect our run next year? What are its challenges?

Superhoop

Rookie
Sep 26, 2016
Gisborne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR
Now that the full 2020 fixture has FINALLY been released, what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it or not? How do you think it will affect our run next year? What are its challenges?

On a personal note really disappointed as there are so few 'family friendly' home fixtures. Friday and Saturday night games are great for the club/sponsors but not so great for those with younger children who have family memberships.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On a personal note really disappointed as there are so few 'family friendly' home fixtures. Friday and Saturday night games are great for the club/sponsors but not so great for those with younger children who have family memberships.

If we mainly played Sunday arvo and Saturday arvo games the club would be in all sorts of trouble.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very happy with it. We have got a lot of positive scheduling in terms of timeslots to help increase crowds as well as getting maximum exposure with 12 night games, so membership, marketing and commercial teams should be very happy.

On field, we have avoided a second Perth trip as well as any trips to Qld. 15hrs total on the plane for the season, very positive and extremely rare i'd have thought. Also avoided any five-day breaks, although we have quite a few six-day breaks (but that comes with so many Friday/Saturday games back and forth).
Our double ups also look decent on paper with GWS the only legitimate contender we play twice.

Seven games in Vic to finish the home and away season is also good, means we can build momentum late in the season.

The one obvious downside is only getting two games at the MCG, but resigned the fact we are ever likely to get more than two or three each year.

Overall, the whole club should be very happy with the 2020 season providing a good opportunity to push ahead to greater things both on and off the field. Interestingly Ameet mentioned in his video interview that the club is pushing really hard to achieve 50,000 members for the first time in 2020. Early wins will go a long way to achieving that, but if the players and coaches can start the new season how they finished in 2019, then we are every chance.

Pass mark with all things considered equal would be a top four finish for us.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

ive got young kids so no idea why Friday and Saturday nights games aren’t family family.
As far as I’m aware kids don’t go to school Saturday’s or Sunday’s.

far better than Sunday arvo slots that we normally get stuck in

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saturday night isn't too bad but Friday night is horrible for young kids and parents of young kids. The positives of holding Friday night outweighs the negatives though. I hate attending Friday night games but love watching them.

We've been blessed to get so many, despite the difficulties it presents for me to attend.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
At least you won't be playing your last round of the season in Ballarat ... which ever way (Final 8 contenders or wooden spooners) your 2020 season plays out. :thumbsu:

That should stop a lot of the grumbles. You get a May game on a 1.45pm Saturday time slot against the Suns and a 1.45pm Saturday game against Port Adelaide on the second last round. Shouldn't be too controversial. 🤔 Although, that said, you can't please everyone ... somebody will whinge. 🙄

Although a poll done today in the Ballarat Courier asking locals which time slot that they prefer has had some 800 respondents so far with almost 50% expressing a preference for Sunday afternoon games, while only 20% expressing a preference for Saturday afternoon and surprisingly about 18% wanting Friday night games. It seems that there is little local appetite for night games.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2003
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sunderland, Willy Wolves
Saturday night isn't too bad but Friday night is horrible for young kids and parents of young kids. The positives of holding Friday night outweighs the negatives though. I hate attending Friday night games but love watching them.

We've been blessed to get so many, despite the difficulties it presents for me to attend.

While we have 4 Friday night games we only have 2 home games and 1 in Canberra & 1 in Adelaide. So I can't see why people are up in arms.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liked 2017s more though for fridays, had something like 7 Friday night games.

Yeah I remember 2017 (understandably) being pretty great. Loads of Friday night games, we just missed finals in a disappointing year so wasn't completely wasted by having us in some good slots.

At least you won't be playing your last round of the season in Ballarat ... which ever way (Final 8 contenders or wooden spooners) your 2020 season plays out. :thumbsu:

That should stop a lot of the grumbles. You get a May game on a 1.45pm Saturday time slot against the Suns and a 1.45pm Saturday game against Port Adelaide on the second last round. Shouldn't be too controversial. 🤔 Although, that said, you can't please everyone ... somebody will whinge. 🙄

Although a poll done today in the Ballarat Courier asking locals which time slot that they prefer has had some 800 respondents so far with almost 50% expressing a preference for Sunday afternoon games, while only 20% expressing a preference for Saturday afternoon and surprisingly about 18% wanting Friday night games. It seems that there is little local appetite for night games.

Gold Coast is understandable as to why we would rather play them at Ballarat, but it's hardly going to be the local choice either. You will know we are doing well if that's well attended by them.

I LOVE the fixture. Minimal Sunday games. Finally, the Waste of Space meet us at our proper home ground. Just a shame we only play the easy beat drug takers once ;).

Just hope we live up to the hype that's going thru the media. While I believe we can build on our top 8 performance this year, we don't want to assume - don't want to repeat Melbourne's disappointing season after the hype they got end of last year. I prefer to stay under the radar and keep the hopes in house.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Good exposure for sponsors yet it does not encourage families or children to the footy, children are your future so it that regard it’s terrible. Not a single home day game at marvel. Should have at least 3 day home games a year for families. Unfortunately my 4 and 3 year old will go to the two MCG away games this year, when Marvel do a great job with activities for kids yet the fixture didn’t cater for it this year.
Other than that teams we play twice is good, yet as usual a Geelong game in Geelong again.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
A few things on the fixture, firstly happy with the Good Friday game but why don't they rotate the home team as well, once again we are the away team so our supporters (who will make up 75% of the crowd) have to pay to get in with the money going to Norrff, how about giving each of the participating teams a chance to be the home team to share the profits around.

Secondly why have a Friday night game in Canberra against the plastics, virtually no chance for Dogs supporters from Melbourne or Sydney to get to the game (I'm in Sydney and I'd have to leave work just after lunch to do the 4 hour drive to Canberra through the endless Sydney traffic). The plastics have no supporters so they don't care when the game is on but a Saturday game would be the best time for Dogs supporters.

Not going to go into the two games in the sticks at Ballarat but maybe the club should change their membership options to 9 games with guaranteed seats at Docklands/Optus/Jihad/Marval rather than supporters paying for 11 games with seats but only getting 9 (and thus reduce the membership price).

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A few things on the fixture, firstly happy with the Good Friday game but why don't they rotate the home team as well, once again we are the away team so our supporters (who will make up 75% of the crowd) have to pay to get in with the money going to Norrff, how about giving each of the participating teams a chance to be the home team to share the profits around.

Secondly why have a Friday night game in Canberra against the plastics, virtually no chance for Dogs supporters from Melbourne or Sydney to get to the game (I'm in Sydney and I'd have to leave work just after lunch to do the 4 hour drive to Canberra through the endless Sydney traffic). The plastics have no supporters so they don't care when the game is on but a Saturday game would be the best time for Dogs supporters.

Not going to go into the two games in the sticks at Ballarat but maybe the club should change their membership options to 9 games with guaranteed seats at Docklands/Optus/Jihad/Marval rather than supporters paying for 11 games with seats but only getting 9 (and thus reduce the membership price).
You get free entry in to two away games in Melbourne if you don't go to Ballarat with the standard membership.
Can see how it might be annoying for people who pay for the 22 game memberships but then it's probably easier to get to Ballarat than it is to Cairns.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
You get free entry in to two away games in Melbourne if you don't go to Ballarat with the standard membership.
Can see how it might be annoying for people who pay for the 22 game memberships but then it's probably easier to get to Ballarat than it is to Cairns.

Yep you do get entry to two replacement games but given that when you get an 11 game package with a seat you only get a seat for 9 games as the replacement games are most likely against Collingwood/Essendon at Docklands/Telstra/Marvel Stadium where they are fully ticketed games, therefore you have to buy a seat, thus you miss out on two seats you have paid for when you brought your membership plus you end up having to pay for an extra two seats to see the replacement game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Guess ppl on here seem happy with no QLD games. A fair few like QLD games because they can go up there to watch and work holidays into it seems. Not many other places work as holiday locations during the AFL season.

Back