Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2020 - The Defending Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Have I read right that the AFLW side play on the Gold coast the same week Port are there in Round 1, How stupid to not have a double header like GWS v Geelong are doing.

I swear they said they were getting rid of conferences?

No, they've always said they were keeping them. They copped a fair bit of flack for it too, but honestly there isn't any realistic alternative other than expanding the length of the season.

The problem last year wasn't that there were conferences. It was that the way they split the two conferences up was so unequal as to be almost the worst possible division of teams.

Richmond and west coast will be the better of the expansion teams.

Pissed there isnt a game in Melbourne, wh why the hell are we playing in Tasmanina? Are all of North's home games there? We'll no doubt be under rated again because no expert will see us live as we dont play in the footy capital

Couldn't care less if people underrate us. If anybody underrates us after the season we had this year, on their head be it.

If anything, Victorian teams should be pissed they won't get a chance to send their local scouts to watch us.

Next season might be history in the making if:
- we top our conference group and best win/score percentage out of the 2 groups
- home final in the preliminary

And if we end up winning the GF (a big if) => first AFL team to win a premiership without playing in Victoria!
Damn that would be pretty sweet!

Pissed there isnt a game in Melbourne, wh why the hell are we playing in Tasmanina? Are all of North's home games there? We'll no doubt be under rated again because no expert will see us live as we dont play in the footy capital
I don't know how you can underrate the team that will have the MVP for the league, leading goal kicker, 5+ AA's under 20 years old and probably won't lose a game.

There's a crap ton of catching up to us the rest of the comp needs to do, even without our total gunbuckets in Scheer and Phillips.

But whatevs.

Next season might be history in the making if:
- we top our conference group and best win/score percentage out of the 2 groups
- home final in the preliminary

And if we end up winning the GF (a big if) => first AFL team to win a premiership without playing in Victoria!
Damn that would be pretty sweet!

I'm shocked to be sitting here but you got something wrong.

We play at Potato Park = game in Victoria. We don't play in Melbourne.

Why the * do we have so many Sunday games? Every single game in Adelaide is a Sunday game

The only Saturday games are in Brisbane and Hobart

I'm actually pretty pissed with this draw I have basically 0 chance to see our women play

I'm shocked to be sitting here but you got something wrong.

We play at Potato Park = game in Victoria. We don't play in Melbourne.
Yeah I made a blooper. Saw some of the posts saying no games in Melbourne and I skimmed the OP too quick, and realised now the error.
Still, if we can win a premiership without playing in Melbourne, it’d still be sweet either way!

Assuming we won't see Erin, Sheer and Martin in this year due to ACL recoveries, what are everyone's way too early prediction for the following.

Top 5 B&F
Top Goal Scorer
Best 1st Year Player
Most Improved

For me its;
Top 5: Marinoff, Randall, Ponter, Hatchard, Jones (Actually think Ponter should be further up this list based on her talent level, but playing it safe for now)
Top Goal Scorer: Ruth Wallace (Tight between her and Stevie, but I still rate Wallace by a hair)
Best 1st year Player: McKinnon (Only because she was our first pick, I literally know nothing about any of these girls)
Most Improved: Ponter (Will be an outright star by the end of this season IMO, second most naturally skilled woman i've seen play football)

North are playing two home games in Tassie (Giants in Launceston, Adelaide in Hobart) and two in Melbourne (Gold Coast, Bulldogs). At least they are playing at Arden Street, and not in Werribee when the Air Show is going on....

One of the success stories in the AFLW in Victoria has been Whitten Oval and to a lesser extent Princes Park. It's good to see Collingwood use Victoria Park rather than their training ground, Richmond at Punt Road and the Saints at Moorabbin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we won't see Erin, Sheer and Martin in this year due to ACL recoveries, what are everyone's way too early prediction for the following.

Top 5 B&F
Top Goal Scorer
Best 1st Year Player
Most Improved
I'll have a stab at it.

Top 5 B&F : Randall, Hatchard, J. Foley, (Sarah) Allan, Marinoff
Top Goal Scorer : Ponter
Best 1st Year Player : Najwa Allen
Most Improved : Gore

"Richmond and Carlton, who traditionally open the AFL season, will kick off the 2020 NAB AFLW season at Ikon Park on Friday, 7 February."

Oh fu** off. It's only a tradition because ten years ago when both clubs were on their knees you gave them a leg up. Now it's a "tradition"

EDIT: not only did it only start ten years ago, in 2012, 2013 and 2014 other teams started the season. Total bullshit as usual from the VFL.

Just realised the season opener is Expansion team vs GF loser. Good stuff
Haven't stepped on to the field once and the Richmond women's team already have a "traditional" game?

Rather impressive how traditions develop so quickly in Melbourne.:think:

even without our total gunbuckets in Scheer and Phillips.

Okay so we all know Phillips is the GOAT, she's so good it's ridiculous

But quietly how good was Scheer? I haven't seen anyone that natural since I saw Tex as a 16 or 17 yo at Norwood Oval

Just crazy

But quietly how good was Scheer? I haven't seen anyone that natural since I saw Tex as a 16 or 17 yo at Norwood Oval

Just crazy
Ponter over Scheer for me in natural talent.

And thats not a slant on Scheer, I just feel like Ponter is overflowing with skills and talent.

Handles the ball like someone who spent their entire childhood obsessively practicing checkside dribble kicks in her backyard!

Just crazy
She's very very good.

Also we seem to forget we get Wallace back this year too. She was a cut above the rest.

North Melbourne's entry into AFLW is a joint venture with AFL Tasmania (similar to our old set up with the NT). The initial plan was for North to play all of their matches in Tasmania but that never came to fruition.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share some season highlights. A nice reminder how far the ladies have advanced in both skills and attitude:

FWIW, we caught up with Erin Phillips for a 20 minute chat at the USAFL Nationals in Florida.
Starts a minute or so into the Podcast.

thanks for that

shame about the windy parts, but that happens - I like how you managed to ask her about her knee without asking her about her knee. I'll be lying if I didn't say it was the main reason I listened to it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back