Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Dylan also understands the the person behind the LI account would be a media type person, not an AFL official that deals with thr fixture or has any real power or sway for any of the stuff he is whining about. Why dont you go onto the main forum and moan at the organisation that actually runs the competition instead of your misplaced anger at Swann.

You didn't answer the question D12, why would Swann and the club not want to play as many away games as possible in Melbourne? I just can't fathom why they would rather play elsewhere when we travel.
How should I know.

Did you hear his interview on SEN.

About as smug and sensitive as Noel Gordon was on the Footy Show.

Never.

I responded to your question in another post.

Edit. Once in 2013.
Yep I just went through it as well. 2013 was the only other year. In that year we played Hawthorn in Tassie, Geelong in Geelong and Melbourne played their home game against us at TIO stadium.

No they don't.

I have pointed out plenty in the past 12 months and tagged in Lions Insider into those posts, so you're wrong.

As for the rest, the club has lost all goodwill and momentum with the Victorian Lions community after this fixture.In the middle of the year, Melbourne fans have a 3 month break between games, but we have been rewarded with the opening game. That certainly makes up for everything Greg Swann. :rolleyes:
I disagree, but I guess you are pretty hard to please.

I disagree, but I guess you are pretty hard to please.
To be fair to D12, he was quoting Greg Swann :
“We can’t wait to kick off our season against the Hawks on the biggest stage, the MCG, in Round 1. What a reward for our passionate Victorian members and supporters.”

Email from the club this afternoon, confirming that Victorian memberships will not be any cheaper in 2020, despite only admitting to four games.

That's $190 for four adult general admissions, which would cost $108 at the gate. So that's $82 for the right to buy finals tickets and a hat.

Their peace offering is to offer a reserved seat at one of Geelong, Canberra or Hobart. I could just about see myself going to Geelong, except it's a Saturday night game so that makes it impractical to take the kids, as I won't get home until midnight

I want to support my club but it'd be nice not to feel like an idiot for doing so.

By contrast, I have a five game family membership for my local NBL team that cost $250.

FWIW last year the going rate was $75 for a reserved seat at Crystal Meth Stadium, Geelong....is the club subsidising this?...Last couple of times we've played Norf at Marvel (Ethiad/Colonial) we have outnumbered their supporter base...

To be fair to D12, he was quoting Greg Swann :
“We can’t wait to kick off our season against the Hawks on the biggest stage, the MCG, in Round 1. What a reward for our passionate Victorian members and supporters.”
To be fair to myself, I was responding to the Lions Media component of the post.

I empathise with our Victorian members but I'm gobsmacked at the venting against the Club in general and Swann in particular.

Last time I looked, the AFL set the Fixture and the venues.

Surely no-one seriously believes that Swann and the Lions actually lobbied for all those games over the rest of Australia and only 4 games in Melbourne????

Probably not.

But the attitude seems to be that Swann/the Club aren't "protesting" hard enough and so are complicit in some way with the AFL.

What do you want?

Swann , Fagan and Noble to superglue themselves to the bitumen outside AFL headquarters?

How should I know.

Did you hear his interview on SEN.

About as smug and sensitive as Noel Gordon was on the Footy Show.
I didn't think you would know for certain although I thought you may have a theory as to why Greg Swann and our club would rather play our away games in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Tasmania than in Melbourne.

The obvious answer to me is that they don't, our club/Melbourne members were "reamed" by the AFL fixturing department, our members were not reamed by Greg Swann and/or the Brisbane Lions.

I haven't listened to his interview on SEN yet but I will do in the near future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I do.

The club needs to hear from its minority supporter base, which I'm sure they wish they probably never had.

Seems they only leverage that supporter base and history whenever its convenient.

Half the articles when they're discussing club / player stats conveniently omit those from the Fitzroy side.

If the club doesn't want it, then de-merge the club and go back to being the Bears.

Fine if they need to know about it then why not have the balls to put your name, not a handle to it?
Swann and Co. has contempt for the Lions base in Melbourne, so I don't believe that for a second.
FFS, take up supporting soccer Paul.

I didn't think you would know for certain although I thought you may have a theory as to why Greg Swann and our club would rather play our away games in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Tasmania than in Melbourne.

The obvious answer to me is that they don't, our club/Melbourne members were "reamed" by the AFL fixturing department, our members were not reamed by Greg Swann and/or the Brisbane Lions.

I haven't listened to his interview on SEN yet but I will do in the near future.
I feel pretty sure that the Lions lobbied to have as many Vic teams play at the Gabba as possible because they draw the biggest crowds and in turn $.
We have ended up with all bar 2 Vic teams playing up here, Carlton and Dogs, both of which we play at Marvel.
We then have 4 of our Return bouts against Vic teams only 3 of which we play in Victoria. Pies at the G, Hawks at the G and Cats at GMHBA.
It’s the North game where they went wrong and that game should have been played at Marvel.
Or one less Vic team up here at the Gabba like the Saints play them at Marvel and then 1 of the Adelaide teams up here.

I have 4 kids gets expensive to get a membership as a the family is 2+2 so you need to buy 2 extras.
The night game against the dogs we probably miss. Sat night and I really hate Docklands :)
Cats game I be probably more interested we go down Bellarine beforehand although super late home :)
Be last minute depending on weather like the Ballarat game this year.. Which we missed :(

Which leaves
2 Sunday games kids are normally free and the pies game I probably go with some toothless friends :)
Really hard to justify the cash..
I know the club needs to buy the tickets. just hard to justify.

Also how do GWS get 7 games and us 4..
Sick of us playing Vic teams in Tassie, NZ etc games amazing we not in China and Darwin.
Honestly rather play the dogs in Ballarat as the second game then Tassie against Norf

I honestly do feel for our Victorian brethren, but the slamming of Swann for being glass half full in one thread, then denouncing the quality of sponsors were able to attract in another is pretty staggering.

My understanding is that every club gets to submit a list of requests for the draw. Obviously they won't get everything they ask for (otherwise Collingwood would play 22 home games) but the AFL tries to meet the higher priority requests. I would love to see how far up that list playing 5 or more games in Melbourne was. I strongly suspect it was well down the list, below things which make the club money.

Which is fine, but if through the machinations of the AFL or the changing priorities of the club we are to get less Melbourne games, the very least (in fact literally the least) they could do is knock a bit off the membership price. The AFL doesn't control that. They could subsidise it with all the money they make from those Thursday night Gabba blockbusters.

As it is, the club is actually going to make a lot of money out of this. As I understand it, every time a Vic member attends a Melbourne game, the Lions pay a set amount to the home club. The fewer games, the more money stays in the club's pocket. Again, I'm happy to see the club financially viable, but if I'm going to be giving them money for nothing, could we at least make it tax deductible?

My understanding is that every club gets to submit a list of requests for the draw. Obviously they won't get everything they ask for (otherwise Collingwood would play 22 home games) but the AFL tries to meet the higher priority requests. I would love to see how far up that list playing 5 or more games in Melbourne was. I strongly suspect it was well down the list, below things which make the club money.

I think a more accurate description would be that the AFL meets the requests it feels like, rather than any sense of priority.

For years the word coming out of the club have been requests for more FTA games, more big clubs at the Gabba, and yes, six games in Melbourne. In general AFL grants us precisely zero of those in a given year, but six games in Melbourne is the most recently met (2016 and 2017).

This year it looks like they've chosen to grant us the first two but skimped on the last - in other words I think it's pretty clear they don't actually care about what our submissions are, just what makes them the most dollars.

I think the initial reaction from the club was unfortunate, the recovery reasonable given the constraints of not being able to set our own fixture, and the overreaction on here inevitable.

Which is fine, but if through the machinations of the AFL or the changing priorities of the club we are to get less Melbourne games, the very least (in fact literally the least) they could do is knock a bit off the membership price. The AFL doesn't control that. They could subsidise it with all the money they make from those Thursday night Gabba blockbusters.

As it is, the club is actually going to make a lot of money out of this. As I understand it, every time a Vic member attends a Melbourne game, the Lions pay a set amount to the home club. The fewer games, the more money stays in the club's pocket. Again, I'm happy to see the club financially viable, but if I'm going to be giving them money for nothing, could we at least make it tax deductible?
I’d be disgusted yet unsurprised if more games in Melbourne was not top of or close to top of the list. The club will always get 11 games in Brisbane and now a twelfth in Queensland. On the other hand the number of games in Victoria will always fluctuate, ranging from 8 (as GWS got) to a lowly 4.

Remember, the Brisbane Bears didn’t need to merge with a Melbourne based club. They chose to do that and no one forced them to do that. That decision comes with consequences. One being to advocate for the rights of its Fitzroy arm and demand no less than 6 games in Melbourne. If they can’t or won’t do that, then de-merge the bloody club and stop leading those Lions fans in Victoria down the garden path.

I just listened to Greg Swann's interview on SEN yesterday and the first 3-4 minutes of it were talking about only having 4 games in Melbourne, Swann was obviously disappointed with it but understandably he was pushing the positives.

The draw is done by the AFL not Greg Swann and not the Brisbane Lions.

#standbyswanny

I just listened to Greg Swann's interview on SEN yesterday and the first 3-4 minutes of it were talking about only having 4 games in Melbourne, Swann was obviously disappointed with it but understandably he was pushing the positives.

#standbyswanny
You haven’t got a link have you Jas?
Wouldn’t mind a listen.

You haven’t got a link have you Jas?
Wouldn’t mind a listen.
I'm not sure if this will work dl, ever since the new Big Footy format started I have been unable to link this type of stuff like I used to, just scroll down to the list and Greg Swann's interview should be there.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/time-on/

#standbyswanny
I disagree entirely. I thought he was dismissive and uninterested. He supported the AFL line more than once and if anything continued to push it. If he was really supportive, surely he would have highlighted and questioned how GWS managed to get 8 games in Victoria and Sydney 6 games in Melbourne despite them having no formal agreement in place. No mention of three month gap of footy that Melbourne fans will miss out on either.

The gall of him to get on Melbourne radio after many Melbourne fans have rung in upset about the draw and be proud as punch that in his opinion the club got a great draw and the club was rapt, shows what an insensitive prick he is. I guess us Melbourne fans can be chuffed with being rewarded with the first game of the season on the back of a practice game against Carlton a fortnight (big ******* deal Greg) That will really make up for it.

#screwSwanny

Remove this Banner Ad

Back