List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks everything David Cuningham should be. Breaks lines, good decision maker, great kick on the run, not afraid to have a shot on goal when around the mark. I'd say he'd slot straight in and Davey would be lucky to get a game unless he improves a lot over the pre-season.
Cuninghan has shown he can do it at AFL level, just needs to stay on the park. Stephens has yet to show he can.

No reason why you can't have 2 quick good users in the side. Hawks managed to find a spot for both Hill and Smith

He looks everything David Cuningham should be. Breaks lines, good decision maker, great kick on the run, not afraid to have a shot on goal when around the mark. I'd say he'd slot straight in and Davey would be lucky to get a game unless he improves a lot over the pre-season.
Stephens would lap Cunners in a 6 lap race around Ikon

so, this is what dc looked like too? a little rich to compare and presume an untried player will go past a player currently on the fringe..……...

I think if our tier one choices of Stephens, Ash, Kemp, Serong, Flanders are gone by the time we have our selection and we have a group of 4-5 evenly rated in tier 2, we turn to Fremantle and say, "We're going to bid on Liam Henry now, unless you want to give us pick 10 and 22."

Let Freo have their cake with an extra first round pick, then bid on him.

We then call Hawthorn and tell them we'll be bidding on Finn Maginness unless they give us pick 11 and 30.

We then have effectively pick 13, 22, 30 and 43. We can try to trade pick 57 for a future 3rd to someone like West Coast or the Bulldogs.

I think if our tier one choices of Stephens, Ash, Kemp, Serong, Flanders are gone by the time we have our selection and we have a group of 4-5 evenly rated in tier 2, we turn to Fremantle and say, "We're going to bid on Liam Henry now, unless you want to give us pick 10 and 22."
They can easily match pick 9 just with pick 10 and the first round discount. Then they'd still keep 22.

They can easily match pick 9 just with pick 10 and the first round discount. Then they'd still keep 22.

Their choice is basically:
1) pick 9 and Henry
OR
2) Henry and pick 22

Our choice would be:
1) pick 9
OR
2) pick 11 and pick 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Their choice is basically:
1) pick 9 and Henry
OR
2) Henry and pick 22

Our choice would be:
1) pick 9
OR
2) pick 11 and pick 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Problem is they still have to match the bid and will go into deficit in next year's draft. I think their next pick is 58. If I was freo I would take the risk, they know there are better players at pick 9.

Problem is they still have to match the bid and will go into deficit in next year's draft. I think their next pick is 58. If I was freo I would take the risk, they know there are better players at pick 9.

They have two x 2020 second rounders. They could try to trade back into this year's draft with one of them to preserve their points and the position of their 2020 first rounder. It's worth asking the question.

I know this is not the strongest draft, but I can see Kemp sliding to our pick 9 or beyond.

Jake Lever captained Vic in his underage year, was touted as a future top 3 pick. Missed his entire draft year with an ACL and went pick 14. In fact, Adelaide were so sure Lever would last that they traded down from pick 10 to pick 14 before the draft.

Ryan Burton was touted as a future #1 pick. Kicked 5 goals in his first champs match as an underager. Got glandular fever and badly broke his leg. Lasted til pick 19.

Each of these players had a full year of recovery behind them by the time they were drafted. Although on the flip side, they had no draft year performance to assess.

TL,DR: Not sure that Kemp goes top 10...

Selwood probably falls in to this catergory as well. Remember at the time he was being touted as a top 3 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I actually decided to watch games instead of taking a view based on highlights. Although to be fair I think I’d seen two of his games. He wasn’t getting a lot of it and I stupidly wrote him off.

Then I remembered. Laverde. I loved his highlights too. But the bloke can’t play. So you’ve got to watch games.

Then I thought I needed to properly look at Stephens, thinking he will be there at ten.

But he won’t be. That’s my call now, based on watching his actual games.

Happy to admit I got Laverde completely wrong. I thought he was going to be a gun based on what I saw him produce for the Jets.

Don’t we already have a light running machine who runs both ways and can kick well in LOB. Why would we need another given Martin is also headed our way

My line of thinking as well.
I'm still keen on Kemp if he gets to us.

Stephens I would love. Hopefully if they live upto their potential then LOB and Stephens on the two wings and Cuningham and Martin on the two HFF’s and we all of a sudden have a quick, great running and a skilful side on the outside. (Something I think we lack)
Problem is teams like Melbourne and Freo (who just lost both of their wingman) have picks before us and he would be great for them too.

Stephens I would love. Hopefully if they live upto their potential then LOB and Stephens on the two wings and Cuningham and Martin on the two HFF’s and we all of a sudden have a quick, great running and a skilful side on the outside. (Something I think we lack)
Problem is teams like Melbourne and Freo (who just lost both of their wingman) have picks before us and he would be great for them too.
Freo lost Hill, Langdon and Bennell but got Acres and Aish. Melbourne got Langdon, Tomlinson and may get Bennell, plus have Jetta back from injury. Really hard to know what those teams are going to be chasing in the top 10, and the kids are all so even this year....

I don't see it with Serong. Intelligent player, strong for his size, but doesn't break lines or break stoppages convincingly.
I don’t either....just be aware he has possibly the best hands below knees in this draft other than Liam Henry for mine. He will ‘collect’ plenty of footy inside with his strong body and clean hands. He’s apparently terrific forward but I can’t find footage to support that. I’ve seen him kick goals in transition but not be dangerous with forward as his start point.

I’ve been surprised many have him at 3. He’s around our pick I think. Is an AFL player. Just not amazing.

Can’t work out how Freo don’t take him. They’ve lost Langdon and Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back