2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

..... yep.

I’m done now.

"And the Eagles are also one of just two teams (Essendon the other) which will have to cope with not just one, but two lots of consecutive six-day breaks throughout the course of the season."

Forget the "hardness" crap, which is simply a ridiculous conversation to be having in a professional sporting comp. Much more importantly, a team that does by far the most travel (with Freo of course), simply shouldn't be getting these consecutive 6 day breaks.

That is completely avoidable

Not according to the 'fix'ture, unless it is, truly , fixed
Lol you act like all Victorian clubs are favoured and all non-Vic clubs are hard done by.
We'll be playing you guys at Optus oval for the 4th time in 3 years without a game in Melbourne. That'll be 6 out of the last 7 games in Perth. We play West Coast in Perth, GWS in Sydney, Brisbane at the Gabba, Sydney in Sydney, Port in Adelaide, Adelaide in Adelaide, Collingwood at the MCG twice and Richmond at the MCG.

Most of our games are either neutral or at a disadvantage (eg playing MCG tenants at the MCG and Marvel tenants at Marvel). We only have 5 true home ground advantage games (GWS, Adelaide, Fremantle, Sydney and Gold Coast all at Marvel) while you have 10. We only travel 4 less than you guys, which isn't much considering the gap between home ground advantage.

If you want to talk about MCG experience, you play there 3 compared to our 7. Advantage isn't that much. If we played you at the MCG in finals, that'd be 8-4. If we played you in Perth, that'd be 13-2. You have a stronger advantage than us all things considered.

Interesting reading this thread, and the fixture threads of other boards.

For those complaining - you need to accept that the AFL does not give a sh*t about anything other than profit. It is a corporate entertainment industry. There is no fairness. There is no integrity. The game is essentially fixed. The management and implementation of the competition, whether it's the rules or the fixtures or the broadcasts, is bordering on that of WWE.

It won't change, and will only get worse, so either be involved and cop it or don't. I'm quickly moving towards the latter.

Lol you act like all Victorian clubs are favoured and all non-Vic clubs are hard done by.
We'll be playing you guys at Optus oval for the 4th time in 3 years without a game in Melbourne. That'll be 6 out of the last 7 games in Perth. We play West Coast in Perth, GWS in Sydney, Brisbane at the Gabba, Sydney in Sydney, Port in Adelaide, Adelaide in Adelaide, Collingwood at the MCG twice and Richmond at the MCG.

Most of our games are either neutral or at a disadvantage (eg playing MCG tenants at the MCG and Marvel tenants at Marvel). We only have 5 true home ground advantage games (GWS, Adelaide, Fremantle, Sydney and Gold Coast all at Marvel) while you have 10. We only travel 4 less than you guys, which isn't much considering the gap between home ground advantage.

If you want to talk about MCG experience, you play there 3 compared to our 7. Advantage isn't that much. If we played you at the MCG in finals, that'd be 8-4. If we played you in Perth, that'd be 13-2. You have a stronger advantage than us all things considered.

I agree with all this actually.

That is a model that has served us well. It is one part of why we are always in the hunt for finals and making regular finals is why we are as big a club as we are.

Unfortunately, that model works against us when Victorian clubs get easy interstate games because the crows/swans/port aren't up to scratch.

Current AFL landscape means Victorian clubs get 10 neutral games, 5 home games against interstate teams, 4 interstate games against easy beats and one, maybe two interstate games against tough opponents, either the Eagles, Giants or possibly the Lions if they can back up their 2019 results.

AFL climate is probably the toughest since the 90's for a non-Victorian club in contention for a flag.

Let's not forget the mid 00's they held an inquiry in to the state of Victorian football, so let's not pretend that Victorian clubs and their fans are all koombaya when the boot is on the other foot.

Last edited:
I haven't analysed the draw with respect to strength of opposition or anything. But from the perspective of a self interested Melbourne-based Eagles fan, god this sucks. The shitty 3.20pm Sunday timeslots, the Geelong game on a Friday night, coughing up an away game vs a Melbourne-based opponent to Launceston.

This is total crap.

3.20 Sunday games are the pits. Lions had a lot of Sunday games this year but thankfully none in 2020

North Melbourne's Hobart draw is a bad one,only one all Melbourne derby and the game against the Gold Coast will potentially get the lowest crowd ever for a game in Tasmania.The sooner Tasmania gets its own team the better,because the numbers going to these games are only going to decline,especially with a dreadful draw like this.

That is a model that has served us well. It is one part of why we are always in the hunt for finals and making regular finals is why we are as big a club as we are.

Unfortunately, that model works against us when Victorian clubs get easy interstate games because the crows/swans/port aren't up to scratch.

Current AFL landscape means Victorian clubs get 10 neutral games, 5 home games against interstate teams, 4 interstate games against easy beats and one, maybe two interstate games against tough opponents, either the Eagles, Giants or possibly the Lions if they can back up their 2019 results.

AFL climate is probably the toughest since the 90's for a non-Victorian club in contention for a flag.
What you don’t realise is that not every Victorian club has the same arrangement. Carlton and Essendon have probably the worst arrangement in the AFL. Both don’t have a true home ground splitting between Marvel and the MCG. The likes of Richmond and Collingwood play double the MCG games than we do. We still exclusively play them there.

The Marvel tenants also play a significant amount more there than us.

So our neutral games aren’t really that neutral.
We also have to travel 6 times every year compared to the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn because the AFL wants us to play all of the strongest interstate teams away for crowds.

Including us with Collingwood is ridiculous.

What you don’t realise is that not every Victorian club has the same arrangement. Carlton and Essendon have probably the worst arrangement in the AFL. Both don’t have a true home ground splitting between Marvel and the MCG. The likes of Richmond and Collingwood play double the MCG games than we do. We still exclusively play them there.

The Marvel tenants also play a significant amount more there than us.

So our neutral games aren’t really that neutral.
We also have to travel 6 times every year compared to the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn because the AFL wants us to play all of the strongest interstate teams away for crowds.

Including us with Collingwood is ridiculous.
Yeah I’d much rather play the Etihad minnows away at Etihad so that we don’t have to sacrifice home games to that shithole later in the season tbf.

You and Essendon bought into playing your home games at that concrete jungle, you should have to lie in your beds. I’m all for us playing out away games against other Victorian tenants, including Geelong, at their home ground if it means they lose access to other Victorian grounds for their home games.

Obviously you are not new to the game, but if you are a genuine football supporter you would/should be very concerned about what soccer is doing to junior participation rates all across OZ.

I'm a junior footy coach in WA and soccer has carved up and spat out what was heartland AFL in the Bull Creek Leeming area (and many others).

But if it floats your boat to keep telling yourself that AFL keeping the Grannie in Melbourne and not promoting its biggest showcase around the country wouldn't help keeping it the number one sport then you'll be one of those same people in 15 years time wondering where have a large portion of the potential young AFL supporters have drifted off to.

Just imagine the excitement generated in Perth if once every 9 or 10 years Perth got the GF or the publicity generated if Sydney also got it once a decade.

No problems with Melbourne having it most of the time, but keeping it fully in Melbourne is short sighted and counter productive.
Nup.
If flags were easy to win, why do st kilda only have one?
The F.A. cup final is at wembley, wimbledon is held in (shock horror) wimbledon, the masters is at augusta....all of them have their standing in part of because of where they're held.

Do you really think the corporates are going to spend huge dollars for a grand final in adelaide or perth?

As far as athletes go, i couldn't care less if a good percentage go play soccer. We might get some more real footballers playing footy again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 games in Tasmania.
50 minute flight for Victorian clubs.
Only the Dees out of the Vic clubs go there.
No interstate club should have to travel further than they already do and shouldn’t go to Tasmania when it’s so close for Victorian clubs. But somehow all the other games involve both of the West Australian, South Australian and Queensland clubs.
Vicco bias at its Bloody best mate!!!
I wonder how you get through the day

It's about money you doofus...plain and simple. Hawks n roos schedule whichever team they think will make them the most money in melbourne and the least in tassie. If they made more money playing us down there, then we'd be down there twice a year.

You haven't done either of those things since you returned to the big time with your 2017 flag.

It's not the fans or the any particular clubs fault, but simply there is a tension between the AFL's two primary goals of a) making as much money as possible and b) expanding the game to smaller less traditional markets.

I think what many posters are getting at is the AFL use the MCG's capacity and big Vic clubs as revenue raisers. This means that big Victorian clubs are often exempt from having to go to places like GMHBA and Tasmania as it would me the AFL takes a revenue hit. It means that non-Victorian clubs are having to pick up the slack with the whole going to regional centres which compounds already higher travel loads over the course of the season.

This is compounded when you have a situation like right now where Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast are the three big clubs vying for a flag, and only one is having to do all the extra yards.

There is truth to that and I think it would be simpler if fans of big Victorian clubs, such as pies and tigers simply acknowledged it.
St kilda play in china
Melbourne play in darwin

But only interstate teams are doing all the work......

Interesting reading this thread, and the fixture threads of other boards.

For those complaining - you need to accept that the AFL does not give a sh*t about anything other than profit. It is a corporate entertainment industry. There is no fairness. There is no integrity. The game is essentially fixed. The management and implementation of the competition, whether it's the rules or the fixtures or the broadcasts, is bordering on that of WWE.

It won't change, and will only get worse, so either be involved and cop it or don't. I'm quickly moving towards the latter.
don't let the door hit you on the way out..........but if you'd won in '17 you'd be fully invested i reckon.

Let's not forget the mid 00's they held an inquiry in to the state of Victorian football, so let's not pretend that Victorian clubs and their fans are all koombaya when the boot is on the other foot.
So how did you win a flag last year then?

And this is the height of hypocrisy coming from an eagles fan, considering your team voted against a 3rd west Australian team.
That would've grown the game over there and lessened your travel......but no you guys didn't want to erode your homeground advantage. Try having 9 teams and 1 down the highway and see what homeground advantage there is.

I did my own analysis of the fixture difficulty.
Out of 10 in terms of difficulty I gave 10 points to sides playing Richmond, eagles and Geelong away on their ground.
Playing Geelong on the G was worth 7, interstate 6.
GWS was worth 9 points on their home grounds.
Collingwood 8 but even if you played them interstate I gave them a high ranking still of 7 as I don’t believe they are much worse away home.
Another example was Hawthorn 8 points for teams playing them in tassie, 7 in melb.
Gold Coast would be 1 point away and 3 at Metricon.

Anyway it’s all my interpretation of how I see how sides perform on particular grounds and came up with a ranking system of hardest draw to lowest.

Hardest
#1 Collingwood
#2 Carlton & North
#4 Essendon, Tigers, Saints & Dogs
#8 Adelaide, Hawks, Eagles
#11 Geelong
#12 Melbourne
#13 GWS
#14 GC
#15 Fremantle
#16 Port
Easiest was Lions & Swans

My own results surprised me

I wasn’t even replying to you in the first instance unless you were logged in as your alias? But there’s an abundance of posts on the main board contributed to by predominantly West Coast and Adelaide supporters on the very topic I mentioned.
He found a big word let him be. The rest is just hollow ramblings of a desperate fisherman.

You do realise your team joined the VFL?
The actual VFL.
Before it became the Afl.
And yet more than 30 years later you're still sooking.
It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad

Well I'd prefer to see it as the you know...AFL

And we did save your arse...

Rest assured this fixture is a big * you to the eagles by Gillon Hitler for us getting Tim Kelly.

Our fixture is the hardest in the entire league.
It's like they needed reminding that Richmond won the premiership.

Never mind...we will take the flag home again anyways and Gillon might react by reducing our home games to 3 and send us to China and the UK for some games.

* you VFL scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back