Mega Thread The Daniher Debacle

Remove this Banner Ad

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
BARRETT: The inside story of the Daniher debacle - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-31/barrett-the-inside-story-of-the-daniher-debacle

So now the truth emerges directly from the Mouth From The South Damien Barratt. In an article printed on AFL.com Barratt states that the announcement by Joe Daniher that he wanted a trade to Sydney not only took Essendon by surprise but broadsides the Swans who had absolutely no idea he was interested.

His so called business meeting with Harley was nothing but a catch up between mentor and player that happened to be spotted be none other than Adam Tomlinson. Tomlinson, who was seeking a transfer himself, told a mate at GWS and before you know it the rumour of Joe's move to Sydney had spread faster than syphilis at a free love convention.

Now this article is interesting because Barratt had stated on Trade Radio:

The Swans have brought this on themselves. They have to get this deal done no matter what. They have had contact with Daniher on several occasions before the Harley meeting. UNTRUE. APOLOGISE BARRATT! All commentators in Melbourne were feral on this issue. David King stated:
The Swans have to do this deal it is their fault. They need to get the deal done no matter what it takes now they have convinced the player he needs a move. WRONG APPLOLOGISE DAVID.

The first the Swans knew about his intent was when he announced he was seeking a trade to Sydney. The Swans were not only broadsides they had to try to think up a strategy to try to assist the player as much as possible to get to Sydney.

But enter Adrian 'DoDo' Dodoro. He was not only being difficult he was living in a fantasy world. The smirk on Mr Dodoro's face will turn sour next year when Joe says * off Bombers and lands in Sydney for a compensation pick. That is if he plays a game this year. If he doesn' t then I doubt Swans will be interested.

This whole incident was triggered by the player himself. Because he was going stir crazy over the speculation in the Victorian media about his injuries. He is over it. He is not happy to be playing at Essendon next year. He would rather be out of there. This was not orchestrated by the Swans, as the Melbourne media have stated with incessant vitriol. It was a whim of a player in crisis.

So I would like to see the whole Melbourne AFL Media Circus, especially Barratt, McClure, Lloyd and King apologise to the Swans for their vitriolic treatment of our club. It is a disgrace that these so called journalists and commentators can spew inconsistencies and downright lies as fact. There should be a complaint made to ACMA about these clowns who masquerade as journalists and expert commentators. Time to start the actions against them because this is just not good enough. It is sloppy journalism at the least and syphiletic hatred at it's worst.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Indeed. But Robbie I think Journalism in our country has hit Rock Bottom. Not just Sports Journalism but in general. Half the bastards can't spell and think Grammar is an old lady. My brother, an A Grade journalist and columnist, declared one day that he had never met a literate Sports Journalist
They won't apologise, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. Just be satisfied in knowing that they were all full of s**t and that our club did the right thing the whole way through the process.

Indeed. But Robbie I think Journalism in our country has hit Rock Bottom. Not just Sports Journalism but in general. Half the bastards can't spell and think Grammar is an old lady. My brother, an A Grade journalist and columnist, declared one day that he had never met a literate Sports Journalist

Sports journalism isn't journalism.

He still manages a few digs at the Swans in his article whilst back peddling. The interesting part for me is who got on the phone to him and said mate you're talking out your arse here is what really happened. They should have fed this to someone else for the scoop rather than let Barratt run with the story.
I'll never give the guy the time of day anymore (though I'm doing that now) more so will treat his words with the contempt they deserve.

Think most of us on here thought Daniher was the wrong player at the wrong time for potentially the wrong amount of $ and picks. It smacked of one of the worse list management decisions ever, we just couldn't believe the Swans had chased him.

Now turns out that we reluctantly danced around a trade and knowing the real story of Joe's desperation to leave Essendon, as would Dodo, we made a fair offer for a long term injured player who didn't want to be there hoping Dodo came to his senses and took the picks and cut losses.

Highly doubtful Joe "falls back in love with Essendon" so Dodo is now looking at FA compo in twelve months, if Joe wants to come, we hold all the aces now.

What Barrett wrote is as close to an apology as you'll get from that Muppett, can we have another round of Winners/Losers in Trade Period because Dodo won't be seen as a winner now!

Hopefully a lot of Swans fans abusing Harley over this will realise he did nothing wrong...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t bet on it. Some seem to have taken an instant and intense dislike of the guy because, I don’t know, he’s from the Cats, the way he pronounces his words, he’s not Andrew Ireland. Who knows. I doubt anything will change some posters minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of us on here called Barrett out early & made the call that if we were interested in Daniher, it was more as a free agent in 2021, with Buddy one more year into his contract. I now believe we are in a much stronger position to get him as there would be too much backlash for Essendon should they hold him against his will again with the truth finally out. Should Joe not be right to come or play at all, we've lost nothing at all.
We had all to lose & nothing to gain by trading for him a few weeks ago.

I wonder at what point Dodo realised that Daniher instituted the trade to Sydney talk, not the Swans. I hope it was just after he told Daniher "I've saved you from those chiselling bastards up North." Perhaps the silence from the player. All speculation of course. Dodo still probably does not appreciated how royally he screwed up

So all the fans were wondering why Sydney would go after Daniher this year rather than in 2020 when he was eligible for free agency and it would appear that was what the club was thinking too.

Barrett is a joke.

It sounds like Joe made a few wrong moves in the whole process but I genuinely feel for the guy. He's in a no-win situation next season. Hopefully he can settle, get on the park and get back to enjoying footy and then make it to the Swans.

So all the fans were wondering why Sydney would go after Daniher this year rather than in 2020 when he was eligible for free agency and it would appear that was what the club was thinking too.

Barrett is a joke.

It sounds like Joe made a few wrong moves in the whole process but I genuinely feel for the guy. He's in a no-win situation next season. Hopefully he can settle, get on the park and get back to enjoying footy and then make it to the Swans.
I hope that too Gong. The one thing that stood out in this article was the fact Joe is not happy. He would rather be out of thr frying pan and fire altogether in a much more affable climate.

1. I hope he beats his injuries

2. I hope he can get back to playing decent footy. Hard for an unhappy chappy ti achieve.

3. That if he is fit and welk he makes it to Swans next year.

Sounds like Daniher had a heap of problems sad to hold him to his contract i hope we wouldnt do the same if a player is struggling that much to apply his trade in a certain environment.
It will be very interesting to see how he plays this season.
As a professional footballer you would expect him (injuries permitting) to give it his all, but if Barretts article is to be believed - and I'm kinda with The King here in so far as are we only taking this story as gospel because it suits us as Swans supporters, there seems to be a few demons in his head and that could very well play havoc with his game.
Interesting year ahead for young Joe I think.

As a professional footballer you would expect him (injuries permitting) to give it his all, but if Barretts article is to be believed - and I'm kinda with The King here in so far as are we only taking this story as gospel because it suits us as Swans supporters, there seems to be a few demons in his head and that could very well play havoc with his game.
I know it suits our world view but the article reads like an apology/retraction as far as the Swans and Harley are concerned. For that reason I think Barrett has been brought up to speed on a lot of what actually happened as opposed to his previous speculation. There's a lot less of the "reportedly" approach. A lot less opinion based journalism...if I can call it journalism.

Tomlinson is also a piece of s**t on the highest order would not surprise me if the Giants ok'ed him to disclose it on SEN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back