Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think most that follow this thread would know about the idiots that troll social media about women's footy and seem to pride themselves on posting derogatory comments at every opportunity.

What is perhaps more disturbing is the increase in young boys participating in either posting or liking these types of comments. It (like any similar derogatory activity on social media) is going to impact their future employability (and probably a bunch of other stuff). Recruitment companies (and others) have invested in sophisticated data mining tools that amongst other things flag inappropriate activity and therefore disqualify them from candidate pools. Some even look at connections (eg parents, friends, interests etc) to determine risk factors and suitability for job vacancies. Attempting to hide behind anonymous accounts only makes things worse as most data mining software can automatically link them to the real accounts and their willingness to attempt to deceive only adds to the person's profile.

Just yesterday a promising young player from Rossmoyne Junior Football Club liked a derogatory comment about Women's footy on Freo's social media (he was amongst 4 others that were all identified from just that one comment). He had previously posted something similarly derogatory a few months back on his own social media so this only validated the accuracy of the profile. Those actions (that he may have done just to try to be cool with his friends) will now stay linked to his name forever including if/when he applies to a university, seeks employment, attempts to progress in elite sport etc. I'm sure his Mum, who is also involved in the club wouldn't be impressed if she knew.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to curb the behaviour of fully grown adults who troll and are possibly beyond help. But if you are a parent, especially of teenage boys, please sit down with them and let them know what they do on social media is never anonymous and will likely stay with them forever. Of course this isn't limited to women's footy, I was just surprised to see so many young boys risking their own futures on something that they shouldn't feel the need to even comment on.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
a) Does anyone know if/when the AFLW team have started training sessions yet? Was assuming they'd start this week as well.

b) Saw a cryptic post by Alex Williams. I thought she might be out for the season but sounded like things had progressed really well. Anyone know? Her availability in 2020 would be massive for us.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
a) Does anyone know if/when the AFLW team have started training sessions yet? Was assuming they'd start this week as well.

b) Saw a cryptic post by Alex Williams. I thought she might be out for the season but sounded like things had progressed really well. Anyone know? Her availability in 2020 would be massive for us.
Training starts later in Nov.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
I think most that follow this thread would know about the idiots that troll social media about women's footy and seem to pride themselves on posting derogatory comments at every opportunity.

What is perhaps more disturbing is the increase in young boys participating in either posting or liking these types of comments. It (like any similar derogatory activity on social media) is going to impact their future employability (and probably a bunch of other stuff). Recruitment companies (and others) have invested in sophisticated data mining tools that amongst other things flag inappropriate activity and therefore disqualify them from candidate pools. Some even look at connections (eg parents, friends, interests etc) to determine risk factors and suitability for job vacancies. Attempting to hide behind anonymous accounts only makes things worse as most data mining software can automatically link them to the real accounts and their willingness to attempt to deceive only adds to the person's profile.

Just yesterday a promising young player from Rossmoyne Junior Football Club liked a derogatory comment about Women's footy on Freo's social media (he was amongst 4 others that were all identified from just that one comment). He had previously posted something similarly derogatory a few months back on his own social media so this only validated the accuracy of the profile. Those actions (that he may have done just to try to be cool with his friends) will now stay linked to his name forever including if/when he applies to a university, seeks employment, attempts to progress in elite sport etc. I'm sure his Mum, who is also involved in the club wouldn't be impressed if she knew.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to curb the behaviour of fully grown adults who troll and are possibly beyond help. But if you are a parent, especially of teenage boys, please sit down with them and let them know what they do on social media is never anonymous and will likely stay with them forever. Of course this isn't limited to women's footy, I was just surprised to see so many young boys risking their own futures on something that they shouldn't feel the need to even comment on.
nice comment.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Unfortunately, some of the boy's learn it from one or both of their parents.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions

I really don't get the derogatory attitude. I understand if you don't like the aesthetics of womens sport (not having a crack at these guys my dad is one of those).

When you ask a person why they make those horrible comments they can't answer it, not in a way that makes logical sense. Its only to their mind and feelings that their actions make logical sense.
I think everyone can agree that discrimination is wrong. Therefore i've come to regard people who engage in such behaviour as failing in their ability to moderate such feelings (everyone usually has weird feelings bubble up when the status quo is threatened). The failure to analysze, move through those feelings and ultimately choose the moral high ground is at best mentally immature and at worse mentally weak.

Its kind of weird that i regard people acting as over manly men weak but i do.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I really don't get the derogatory attitude. I understand if you don't like the aesthetics of womens sport (not having a crack at these guys my dad is one of those).

When you ask a person why they make those horrible comments they can't answer it, not in a way that makes logical sense. Its only to their mind and feelings that their actions make logical sense.
I think everyone can agree that discrimination is wrong. Therefore i've come to regard people who engage in such behaviour as failing in their ability to moderate such feelings (everyone usually has weird feelings bubble up when the status quo is threatened). The failure to analysze, move through those feelings and ultimately choose the moral high ground is at best mentally immature and at worse mentally weak.

Beautiful

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

That's a pretty accurate summation. It can also be useful to frame it in terms of behaviour functionality.

Any intolerance without sound reasoning basically equals a certain incapacity to adapt to the environment around you. So to put it in performance terms it's sub-optimal functioning (aka weakness).

That sort of prejudicial intolerance pretty much is allowing an ill-defined discomfort to shape the way you see and respond to the world. This has the brain engaging in a struggle with reality where it adopts inflexible attitudes (signalled by phrases using should, never, always) and over-categorising (e.g. them bad, we good) to override seeing things broadly as they actually are. Just so's the brain can feel more comfy... coz you know, change, difference, can be triggers for feeling uncomfortable.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
The problem is the ignoramuses who have lost touch with what being a manly man means over the generations.
Interesting train of thought what exactly is being a man. Once you think about its rather hard to define.

Actually i have an answer what would clive do.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
And an article about AFLW lists from Julia @ FoxSports (she doesn't know much at all about the WA teams but at least she tries). I'll do my more detailed Season Preview later in the year. Might have been good if she had our two fastest players in Sharp and Miller in her section about speed.

FREMANTLE

PLAYERS: Ebony Antonio, Kara Antonio (nee Donnellan), Kiara Bowers, Tayla Bresland, Steph Cain, Mia-Rae Clifford, Janelle Cuthbertson, Sabreena Duffy, Sarah Garstone, Evie Gooch, Katie-Jayne Grieve, Gemma Houghton, Leah Mascall, Ann McMahon, Hayley Miller, Emma O'Driscoll, Gabby O'Sullivan, Laura Pugh, Roxanne Roux, Matilda Sergeant, Philipa Seth, Ashley Sharp, Angelique Stannett, Jasmin Stewart, Mim Strom, Bianca Webb, Alex Williams, Kate Flood (rookie), Lindal Rohde (rookie), Aine Tighe (rookie)

INACTIVE PLAYERS: Nil

COACH: Trent Cooper

BIGGEST STRENGTH

Speed- Kara Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Steph Cain, Sabreena Duffy, Gemma Houghton. Those are just some names in Fremantle’s line-up who can open up a game with their speed. This factor of the Dockers’ game helped them have a successful 2019 campaign, and could ultimately make them go one step further in 2020.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS

Ruck department- Losing Alicia Janz to West Coast is a big blow for the Dockers, as it leaves a hole in their ruck department. Teenager Mim Strom will have to step straight up to fill the void in 2020, leaving the Dockers with an element of unpredictability as to how she will go against the bigger bodies of the competition.

RISING STAR

Roxanne Roux- It’s rare that a teenager can dominate in her first season, but Roux has the potential to do so. She has played in two premierships for East Fremantle, is a 2019 AFLW U18 All-Australian and has been compared to Carlton’s Tayla Harris.

MVP

Kiara Bowers- Bowers was Fremantle’s original marquee player but only got on the field this season after successive knee injuries. But she showed exactly what she is capable of, dominating in the midfield with her tackling, ability to break the lines and smarts with the ball in hand. She came second behind Erin Phillips in the league’s MVP count in 2019.

He also brings a future father/daughter signing... half Ibbo half Cousins... expectations in alignment with Pav's kids.

Mentioned in this video that jnr Ibbo 2 is on the way

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
She doesn't like a big run up though and I noticed all the Irish rucks line up on an angle to the contest (it freaks out the umpires) - will be interesting how much some coaching from someone like Sandi might take her to a new level.
:) It would be nice if it happened more often... or just more than once really.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
2020 Freo AFLW Premiership confirmed?
With Adelaide being the only SA team still?... Nope, unfortunately :( I'll be disappointed if we aren't at the pointy end and in with a shot at it though.

Last year a lot of the Vic commentators didn't understand our list - especially the difference Bowers would make and they had us coming last. We end up finishing 3rd overall - and probably would have been 2nd if not for injuries to Hooker, Donnellan and a bunch of other key players through the finals.

This year they see Hooker, Gibson and our rucks going to West Coast and again underrate our list. I am pretty confident we'll be far more competitive in the ruck next year than we were this year, and it'll only get better over the coming years. They also aren't factoring in Donnellan and Miller coming off injuries and being miles off their best at AFLW level this year.

Hooker is a big loss, especially her clearance work but a lot of our second tier have improved their midfield work a heap through the WAFLW season (eg Seth, Gooch, Rohde, Pugh) plus our young mids should have settled in after getting through their first AFLW season (Sargeant looked awesome late in the season, Stewart's long kick could be a weapon). A fully fit Donnellan and Miller alongside Bowers and a ruck who can actually ruck with Cain and Sharp on the wings as our first string midfield could very well be stronger than last year (which seems incredible given we lost one of the top 5 AFLW players in Hooker). Forward line loses Gibson and Atkins but Roux, Flood, McMahon could not only fill the hole but take it another step alongside Houghton, Duffy and O'Sullivan. Back line was probably our weakness this year but by adding some extra marking targets forward of centre we won't be robbing Peter to pay Paul if we move Antonio back to her best position (imo) at CHB. If Williams is over her injury as well then our backline should be stronger than it was.

Lots of question marks still and I'm sure a bunch of other lists are going to be more competitive as well but I think we've done extraordinarily well given WC got to raid us. I'm not an expert on other clubs but think a few AFLW lists are being well and truly over rated by the Vic media. I'm expecting a few teams will get smashed - hopefully some of them by us.

Back