News Geelong's 2020 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not their argument at all, though. It's that they only guarantee a home state final and they want to get the highest attendance possible. Geelong could play 0 home games at the MCG and still play finals there.
And as a Geelong supporter do you support the AFL position of home state finals or do you back the clubs position of getting some home finals at KP.
Go Catters

Haven’t posted in a long time, but ******* hell. Melbourne members complaining about having to drive to our bloody home ground on a Friday, but have no issue with the bulk of our supporters driving up double the amount of Friday’s to the city. F*ck you all.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Why do we get all these home games at GMHBA in the last 5 rounds.... like many other years.

Not sure its advantageous leading into finals.

9 @ cattery. 7-2
6 interstate. 2-4
2 marvel. 1-1
5 MCG. 2-3
That has us 12-10 and probably missing finals depending on % and other teams. I always think 13 will get you in.
Need to be dominant again at cattery, need extra MCG win and interstate win to get in. Yes can be done!
Don’t mind playing top team rd 1- they’ll be up for it.
2nd round should be win , yet GC decent first 6 weeks.
Loss to eagles
And 50/50 hawks
Aim for 3-1 , 2-2 bare minimum.
Finish with 4/5 @ cattery is good yet dogs, Dees & GWS could be all good in 2020.
At this stage looks a fair draw given our year this year.
Hawks after bye interesting if another loss!
It’s up to the coaches to get the game plan right now.
Coach effed up the finals with his moving of the magnets and with his mouth!
Let’s see them earn their money now!
Good luck cats 2020!

fallout11

Debutant
May 10, 2012
Mildura
AFL Club
Geelong
Hosting Easter Monday and "The Country Game" both of which the AFL has stapled to the MCG unfortunately.

Yes having a country themed game at a 100k stadium in the middle of a city of 5 million people rather than at the AFL's only regional club/stadium...makes sense!

God I'm sick and tired of only playing the "big 4" Vic clubs (Melb, north, saints, dogs) and interstates at kp!

This stadium development needed to go close to 50k capacity for kp...only way we have a hope in hell of hosting some real Melb clubs...

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And as a Geelong supporter do you support the AFL position of home state finals or do you back the clubs position of getting some home finals at KP.
Go Catters
Home finals at KP would be great. I just don't think it's at all realistic to expect the AFL to have finals that could draw 90k+ played at a stadium with a sub-40k capacity. Much like the grand final always being played at the MCG, you have to take some quirks of the competition as a given, and the AFL putting attendance numbers and money above equality is one of them. Post-upgrades, I would consider it more viable for Geelong to try and get the AFL to agree on allowing it to host small Melbourne and interstate clubs at KP and higher-drawing clubs at the 'G.

Overall, though, it's something the club needs to accept, and considering that, it's not such a bad thing that the team has a few home games there each season to practise on the bigger ground. KP confers the side an unfortunate advantage, due to its unusual dimensions which Geelong gets to train for constantly, which is great during the season but delivers no benefit during finals, which we have seen time and time again. The AFL aren't going to budge on the home finals issue, at least any time soon and certainly not if bigger Melbourne clubs are involved - it's just leaving too much money on the table, so the club and fans need to instead be focusing on how the team can learn to play the MCG. This would be a more immediate and effective answer to the problem than hoping the AFL will schedule Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond to play finals at KP, which isn't really realistic. We know that Geelong sides in the past have been able to perform at the MCG, so it's within the realms of possibilities. Matchups that could draw 90k+ being played at a venue which seats 37k really is not.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Home finals at KP would be great. I just don't think it's at all realistic to expect the AFL to have finals that could draw 90k+ played at a stadium with a sub-40k capacity. Much like the grand final always being played at the MCG, you have to take some quirks of the competition as a given, and the AFL putting attendance numbers and money above equality is one of them. Post-upgrades, I would consider it more viable for Geelong to try and get the AFL to agree on allowing it to host small Melbourne and interstate clubs at KP and higher-drawing clubs at the 'G.

Overall, though, it's something the club needs to accept, and considering that, it's not such a bad thing that the team has a few home games there each season to practise on the bigger ground. KP confers the side an unfortunate advantage, due to its unusual dimensions which Geelong gets to train for constantly, which is great during the season but delivers no benefit during finals, which we have seen time and time again. The AFL aren't going to budge on the home finals issue, at least any time soon and certainly not if bigger Melbourne clubs are involved - it's just leaving too much money on the table, so the club and fans need to instead be focusing on how the team can learn to play the MCG. This would be a more immediate and effective answer to the problem than hoping the AFL will schedule Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond to play finals at KP, which isn't really realistic. We know that Geelong sides in the past have been able to perform at the MCG, so it's within the realms of possibilities. Matchups that could draw 90k+ being played at a venue which seats 37k really is not.

All this home final stuff wasnt an issue in 07/09/11... but is now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
All this home final stuff wasnt an issue in 07/09/11... but is now?
Yes it was an issue then to. And before then as well. Its just we didnt have the cases of gold coast and gws to make our case as strongly. Swans complaining that it was unfair to play gws at homebush in a swans home final even though homebush was only 20 minutes train ride away from the centre of sydney. The afl acknowledging that a gold coast home final would be at the tiny gold coast stadium and not at the Gabba. These cases revealed to a number of neutrals in the media the true unjust disadvantage geelong was facing has helped us push our case.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes it was an issue then to. And before then as well. Its just we didnt have the cases of gold coast and gws to make our case as strongly. Swans complaining that it was unfair to play gws at homebush in a swans home final even though homebush was only 20 minutes train ride away from the centre of sydney. The afl acknowledging that a gold coast home final would be at the tiny gold coast stadium and not at the Gabba. These cases revealed to a number of neutrals in the media the true unjust disadvantage geelong was facing has helped us push our case.

As pointed out earlier, we are one of only 4 clubs who exclusively play at our ground which gives us a massive advantage over other home teams ( tge vast majority) who have to share their hone ground and therefore dilute their advantage.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
As pointed out earlier, we are one of only 4 clubs who exclusively play at our ground which gives us a massive advantage over other home teams ( tge vast majority) who have to share their hone ground and therefore dilute their advantage.
No thats a fallacy that results from only looks at home games and not away games. If you give 3 points to clear home ground advantage. 2 points to neutral games (eg. where two melbourne teams play each other in melbourne) and 1 point to away games then you find geelong has a lower score then every other club indicating a clear disadvantage.

Geelong scores 40 every year we have 9 games in geelong. Most all other teams score 44 with a couple of teams scoring 46 (the Melbourne teams that get to play away games in melbourne against geelong).

Last edited:

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No thats a fallacy that results from only looks at home games and not away games. If you give 3 points to clear home ground advantage. 2 points to neutral games (eg. where two melbourne teams play each other in melbourne) and 1 point to away games then you find geelong has a lower score then every other club indicating a clear disadvantage.

Geelong scores 40 every year we have 9 games in geelong. The average score is 44 with teams like hawthorn and richmond getting closer to 50.

Why use your points system?

Try 5, 3 and 1... .. the “ clear” home advantage is massive for us...

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Why use your points system?

Try 5, 3 and 1... .. the “ clear” home advantage is massive for us...
No the 5,4,3,2,1 (where 5 is state home advantage, 4 is city home advantage within state and 3 is neutral where both teams are from the same city) gives you exactly the same proportional score where geelong clearly loses by the same proportional amount relative to everyone else. The result is no different thus the reason why I kept it simple at 3,2,1. It gives exactly the same result.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
How would you like to see it handled?

Boycott our home games not at our home venue?
Concerted effort on AFL non Geelong Corporate partners,boycott Toyota,Carlton Draft,NAB.Coca Cola,Virgin and Gatorade among others if you are serious.Make some noise at games in protest.

Last edited:

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No the 5,4,3,2,1 (where 5 is state home advantage, 4 is city home advantage within state and 3 is neutral where both teams are from the same city) gives you exactly the same proportional score where geelong clearly loses by the same proportional amount relative to everyone else. The result is no different thus the reason why I kept it simple at 3,2,1. It gives exactly the same result.

I said 5/3/1...did u miss that? Why apply your systems when migr makes as much sense but doesnt give you the answer you want.

Has to be the hardest draw we've had in a while

Saints could go both ways but with the new coach bounce and an influx of talent you'd have to say our bottom 6 double up is a serious chance at finals. This is supposedly our easiest match up.

Hawks with Mitchell back and a fit Patton forward could do some serious damage and given we play them after the bye you'd have to lock in at least one loss of those two against technically our second easiest opponent.

Lions look like they could go either way 50/50.

Eagles are going to be unstoppable next year, saving grace is that they aren't great at GMHBA so we should be able to scrape 1 from 2.

GWS coming of a grand finals appearance could be hungry and they beat us at home last year. Could easily lose both those.

We'll be doing well to break even against those

Why not? I think it's a good way to farewell players who are planning retirement especially if we win as we often do.

Because in my psotiotion travel wise and family events wise it is impossible for me to go most years as I cant organise anything around the game until its too late.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Because in my psotiotion travel wise and family events wise it is impossible for me to go most years as I cant organise anything around the game until its too late.

But the last round is at Geelong. Yes the timing isn't clear but the location is. It's the location that I thought was being discussed.

I would like this silly notion that the final round start times remain fluid until late in the season to be scrapped. It is completely unnecessary. With the bye between round 23 and finals why not treat the scheduling of R23 games like any other H&A round? Have the powers-that-be not woken up to their folly?

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Draw looks fine to me.

Never getting 11 games.
And certainly not until the club asks to play Collingwood Essendon etc at KP.

The club wants its cake and to eat it too.

Last 9 rounds are a cruise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back