You’re AFL President for 10 years, what direction do you take the league into?

Remove this Banner Ad

2 rectangular fields that overlap.

4 sets of goals.

4 teams.

2 balls BUT in the last 5 mins of each half the rainbow SUPER BALL is dropped in for all 4 teams to fight over. SUPERBALL is worth 5 goals but can only be scored with once.

Lets get this rolling team!
I thought of something similar during aflx last year.
Just something that made sense amongst the madness i was watching of players playing rock paper scissors before games and all the shenanigans going on with powerade super players or whatever they were.....

I called it the Multiball rule. As players kick goals from outside 50, it fills up the Multiball power meter.
When it hits maximum, it engages Multiball mode.
You could have the word Multiball blaring from the grounds PA and reverberrating around the ground as fireworks go off and the extra balls are dropped from a drones.
Why stop at 4 goals for one of them though?
Drop all different color balls all worth different points. Make one worth 50 goals.
Everyone knows fans love high scoring games. Imagine how many people would attend if teams were kicking thousands of points per game!

Gil if you read this get the fk away from my idea.

Ad breaks at every stoppage

1 game a week on free to air

Less focus on the game but rather the analysis and war rooms.

More brawls

It will be a minor thing but will be a major thing if they ever do it...... But hear me out on this.....

Go from 22 games to 24 games.

Now we got the split round where each team gets a bye.....

Have each side get a bye. the 1st one arounds 9-11 then Another one from 19-21.

So that means the regular season is done by round 26. No week off Straight into finals the next week. 1st week of finals is played on Friday night, Saturday twilight, saturday night then sunday arvo. then semis and prelims are played on both friday and saturday night then grand final on saturday arvo.

Being a Pie fan I like the idea of an October GF!:thumbsu:

I was actually talking about every other awful choice you listed. But yeah, the "Northern Territory Kangaroos" are probably the second worst idea on your list, behind putting a surfboard on Geelong's logo. I can just imagine you typing that out and thinking, "that's so siiick!!"
Ha ha. I stopped reading the OP at relocate “Hawthorn to tassie” and realised I was wasting my time. Only to scroll down and see this post and realise I’d only scratched the surface of the dumb*ery in the OP.
Ha ha. Cat on a surfboard. Top shelf.

1. Ban all gambling revenue
2. Liquidate the AFLPA
3. Players can't leave their club for 5 years (and if they do become ineligible for future afl drafts).
4. Get rid of the umpires and fit the ground out with better camera technology instead.
5. Get rid of GC and merge North with Melbourne.
6. Get rid of finals bye
7. Expel fans from the stadium for being too loud or unpleasant.
8. Pay players who aren't A grade closer to 150k wages.
9. Charge companies/people double for corporate boxes to help suppliment loss of gambling revenue.
10. Put Steve Hocking in my succession plan to take over for the next decade
11. Scrap the TV rights deal and renegotiate a new deal with ABC or SBS
How about we have 17 games that means less TV $$$ coming in death knell for some clubs and a certain player from your club no names mentioned will be upset you don’t want MR AFLX $75K Man getting upset he might go crying to Gillian at the AFL which means
DANGER
DANGER
DANGER

Hard Decisions to be enforced.

Victoria:
Say goodbye to:
St Kilda
North Melbourne
Melbourne

WA:
Gets a new 3rd team to lessen the travel load.

SA:
Introduce a 3rd team to lessen the travel load.

NSW:
Stays as it is

QLD:
Stays as it is

TAS:
Get's their own team or move North Melbourne to Tassie

NT:
No CU in the NT, would be impossible to retain players for starters, would struggle to remain competitive. (I would allow both Brisbane & Gold Coast to have NT as their academy zone)

Still an 18 team competition

Everyone plays each other once then there is an additional 2 games played as double up blockbusters. E.G. Richmond v Carlton & Collingwood twice, (Vic teams could rotate their blockbusters each year but would have to be on a short term agreement basis) West Coast v Fremantle & new WA team twice etc.

QLD & NSW teams get to play each other 3 times a season.

Tassie Kangaroos gets included into the 7 Vic clubs for double up matches.

Teams:

Victoria:
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Geelong
Hawthorn
Richmond
Western Bulldogs

SA:
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
New Adelaide team

WA:
West Coast
Fremantle
New Perth team

NSW:
Sydney
GWS

QLD:
Brisbane
Gold Coast

TAS:
Tassie Kangaroos

I'd also have a 2 week break in the middle of the season and have State of Origin games to return on a Thursday night SA v WA one year, Vic v SA the next etc

19 game season then finals.

Higher placed team gets home ground advantage for finals with only 50/50 ticket split with opposition sides, if left over tickets then they can be snapped up by the paying public. - Expect Geelong FU cats, you can play all finals games at the G like ever other Victorian club.

Grand Final - invest in Sydney, Adelaide & Perth to increase their stadiums to 80K minimum then each year rotate the Grand final around the 4 locations irrespective of who is playing on the day. E.G. 2020 GF contract states to be played at the G and West Coast the minor premiers play Collingwood, too bad thats how it is. 2021 Collingwood the minor premiers play Port Adelaide but its contracted to be played in Perth, then bad luck that's how it is.

Last edited:
With the 10 year time limit in consideration. There are too many Victorian teams. I would merge two Victorian team's. The four potential candidates are Saints, North, Bulldogs and Melbourne. I would tend to look at merging the Saints and North Melbourne from that group.

I would create a new team in Western Australia. There appears to be a lot of support for the AFL over there and West Coast is bursting at the seams with the amount of supporters they have to the point they have a massive waiting list for their memberships and Fremantle has very solid support too. A third team will also help West Coast and Fremantle because it will mean that the travel for those teams will be for 8 games rather than the current 10 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id declare war on rugby league...
With the 10 year time limit in consideration. There are too many Victorian teams. I would merge two Victorian team's. The four potential candidates are Saints, North, Bulldogs and Melbourne. I would tend to look at merging the Saints and North Melbourne from that group.

I would create a new team in Western Australia. There appears to be a lot of support for the AFL over there and West Coast is bursting at the seams with the amount of supporters they have to the point they have a massive waiting list for their memberships and Fremantle has very solid support too. A third team will also help West Coast and Fremantle because it will mean that the travel for those teams will be for 8 games rather than the current 10 games.
Reckon you would need to wait till there was another city in wa big enough to support a team - wa is so perth centric population wise

our next biggest towns are tiny by comparison.

just cant see a third team taking off in perth

Why not merge Richmond with one of those teams you mentioned? Guarantees a super sized fan base.

I’d do the following:

- continue to grow the women’s game; building stronger connections and the mass appeal of the sport. This is priority #1 for me and involves building the quality and quantity of games until they can run a full 22 game season as professionals alongside the men - probably a 15 year plan. Full investment in marketing, coaching and elite fitness development to get these on par with the men’s side

Most of your post is good but this bit is a bit off the deep end

- AFL already has almost 50% of fans attending games being female
- No sport in the world has a true 50/50 split between women and men. The only sport even close is Tennis where they mandate the prize pool.

i've never understood why you would invest into AFLW. It doesn't have a big market, just like almost all women's sport simply because its not that good. a WAFL player playing AFLW would get 50 touches and kick 10 goals every game.

Id declare war on rugby league...

Reckon you would need to wait till there was another city in wa big enough to support a team - wa is so perth centric population wise

our next biggest towns are tiny by comparison.

just cant see a third team taking off in perth
It'd be fine as 2m population can support 3 teams and it will take 30 years for another WA city to be big enough. Just make it a Perth team, the Perth Pirates or something. Their training base can be in the Northern Suburbs and they will eat into the WC wait list.

They will start slow with only 20K or so but still be much better off than any of the other recent expansion teams and will still get 60K at home twice a year.

I'd bring in double headers with them too (East coast + WA game), especially early in the season or off byes when the breaks are easier to manage.

Moving a vic club would be risky in my opinion. You'd rather just merge a few and let them remain. Melbourne Saints (The converted sinner) & Western Kanagroos.

Maybe it should be Hawthorn, at least we know their members would vote in favour of it.

Hawthorn supporters aren't constantly suggesting that other teams merge though. Richmond supporters have made a habit of it on this board recently in a couple of threads so i'm always curious to know if they would extend the idea to involving their own side.

-Team in Tassie
-3rd team in Perth (Joondalup)
=20 teams
19 rounds (everyone plays each other once)
Final 10 played over 6 weeks. (more finals ratings banazas)
Return of State of Origin to bring the season back to 27 weeks (to keep the TV rights people happy)

Day one I Would hold a press conference announcing the following.

1) Name change immediately ARFL Australian Rules Football League. No such sport as AFL.
2) Rules committee abolished with immediate effect. The league will look into all rule changes the last 20 years and abolish and return the rule to what it was in line with the sport moving forward. Once sorted rules will only be looked at every 5 years.
3) Salary cap floor dropped to 70% to help clubs Who are struggling not have to over pay their under performing lists.
4) The league will run the fixture, no clubs will be given any requests and the broadcast partners will be informed that the league run things, set the games and the times. It will then be up to the broadcast partner to decide what the value is of broadcasting the league.
5) Bailouts abolished, get your clubs in order. If you can’t afford to play in the league you won’t be.
6) Draft age removed. You cannot be drafted until you play a minimum of 25 league games in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL or equivalent leagues in all states.
7) Media given free reign to report things as they see it instead of being governed by the league.
8) Coaches encouraged to speak more freely and provide honest views on their games and clubs, they will be allowed to comment on umpires however they will not be able to target and attack umpires personally. If they think an umpire made a poor decision they are free to say it and move on.
9) No bonuses for any ARFL employees, the competition will be about fairness and integrity with no clubs given any special treatment or leg ups. A money making machine will not be the mandate.

You reckon I Would get appointed? hahaha

Most of your post is good but this bit is a bit off the deep end

- AFL already has almost 50% of fans attending games being female
- No sport in the world has a true 50/50 split between women and men. The only sport even close is Tennis where they mandate the prize pool.

i've never understood why you would invest into AFLW. It doesn't have a big market, just like almost all women's sport simply because its not that good. a WAFL player playing AFLW would get 50 touches and kick 10 goals every game.

I obviously disagree.

Women make up 50% of the population and women’s sport is going to be the next big explosion. That’s why AFL, cricket, netball are all investing heavily into it

It doesn’t need to be 50/50 but it needs to be noted that investing in women’s sport takes nothing from the men. If anything, it complements it. I’d rather see a curtain raiser AFLW game than the rubbish entertainment they have now, and it boosts participation, representation, etc then great. It also boost marketing appeal etc.

And the standard or AFLW is fine. It’s been going 3 years and the standard has increased substantially. It might not be at WAFL level (yet) but it’s also at the moment being played by part time amateurs who in many cases converted to the sport in their mid 20s. By the time the huge wave of Auskick girls get through, it will be a totally different sport. Maybe not the same standard as the men, but it doesn’t have to be to offer something different and have appeal to a broad audience.

I’m really curious to see how good women could become in AFL too. I look at the success of someone like Sam Mitchell and wonder... could a female be similar size physically to Mitchell? 184cm 80kgs - quite probably. Could they have the same speed and endurance? Definitely. Strength - probably not, but not far off, and it’s not that critical to the game. What made Mitchell a great footballer wasn’t core physical attributes, it was his skills, ability to read the game, temperament, etc. I could totally see an AFLW player being as good as Mitchell in my lifetime (which might still be 30-50 years away - as a comparison the 100m sprint record for women was set at 10.49, about 60 years after men first reached the same level). At that point, it’s the question of ability is as moot as whether athletics should have women running at the Olympics. With 50 years of professional investment in AFLW we almost certainly reach that level (if not just having women play in the main comp by then)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back