What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The do need non-match day memberships for those who can rarely attend.
Yeah, I mean I'd be happy to buy one, but I just see no reason to spend so much money on a membership I get nothing out of. I attend every Perth game we play as General Admission (or sometimes using friends/family Freo membership) but really I just see no reason to buy a membership since there's really no incentive as an interstate fan.

If they sold memberships that give a bit of merchandise, some exclusive content / discounts, plus some other benefits when we play interstate (i.e. game entry into away games interstate) then I'd be more than happy to buy. Otherwise, it's pointless. I've never been a Bulldogs member despite supporting them for years.

That's without even mentioning those who simply can't make it to games anymore. My grandparents were Dockers members since the club was first established, but they gave it up a couple years ago because it was getting harder to climb the stairs and do all the walking in the stadium. The money they saved on memberships they just used to buy a new TV to enjoy the games at home, because as non-attending fans there was little reason to continue being members, so it's not even an exclusive problem to the Dogs

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Yeah, I mean I'd be happy to buy one, but I just see no reason to spend so much money on a membership I get nothing out of. I attend every Perth game we play as General Admission (or sometimes using friends/family Freo membership) but really I just see no reason to buy a membership since there's really no incentive as an interstate fan.

If they sold memberships that give a bit of merchandise, some exclusive content / discounts, plus some other benefits when we play interstate (i.e. game entry into away games interstate) then I'd be more than happy to buy. Otherwise, it's pointless. I've never been a Bulldogs member despite supporting them for years.

That's without even mentioning those who simply can't make it to games anymore. My grandparents were Dockers members since the club was first established, but they gave it up a couple years ago because it was getting harder to climb the stairs and do all the walking in the stadium. The money they saved on memberships they just used to buy a new TV to enjoy the games at home, because as non-attending fans there was little reason to continue being members, so it's not even an exclusive problem to the Dogs

The closest thing is a 5 game membership for $135 where you can swap 1 game for a free ticket to an interstate game. Maybe see if anyone here is willing to buy the other 4 games off you?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The closest thing is a 5 game membership for $135 where you can swap 1 game for a free ticket to an interstate game. Maybe see if anyone here is willing to buy the other 4 games off you?
I don't really know anyone in Melbourne tbh, all my family is in WA, NSW or overseas. Would prefer to have an easy option right there for interstate fans that isn't just flushing our money down the toilet. For now, my only way of supporting the club is by watching the games and buying merchandise, but this isn't reflected in the membership count :/

I don't really know anyone in Melbourne tbh, all my family is in WA, NSW or overseas. Would prefer to have an easy option right there for interstate fans that isn't just flushing our money down the toilet. For now, my only way of supporting the club is by watching the games and buying merchandise, but this isn't reflected in the membership count :/
I just get to my one game a year (2 in a good year) and treat the rest as a donation in appreciation for being able to watch them on TV.
However I don’t want to make assumptions about your circumstances. That approach obviously depends on whether you can afford that level of donation.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just get to my one game a year (2 in a good year) and treat the rest as a donation in appreciation for being able to watch them on TV.
However I don’t want to make assumptions about your circumstances. That approach obviously depends on whether you can afford that level of donation.
Money not really an issue, it's more just that I feel better spending the hundreds on a jumper, scarf, etc. Would just like a meaningful way to add to the membership number without it being a straight up donation (if I'm gonna donate money, it'll be to an animal shelter, cancer charity, etc. Not a footy club, but that's just my own personal opinion)

Dec 18, 2003
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sunderland, Willy Wolves
Money not really an issue, it's more just that I feel better spending the hundreds on a jumper, scarf, etc. Would just like a meaningful way to add to the membership number without it being a straight up donation (if I'm gonna donate money, it'll be to an animal shelter, cancer charity, etc. Not a footy club, but that's just my own personal opinion)

Have you contacted the club and expressed your concerns with them? If not why not maybe they can fix you up with some sort of membership.

It’s helping the club survive and function not flushing down the drain?????

Yesterday Dog

Senior List
Oct 9, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So many of our loudest supporters aren't members and I'm sick of it. We need to be ruthless. I always get my 11 games + social despite never making it more than once or twice a year and I'm pretty low on the socio-economic scale (but very privileged to be living in such a wonderful country) Very handy for an unexpected year like 16' having social club, might I add.

I've been making excuses for other membershipless "supporters" for years but we need to move past that to be honest. Just pretend you got a speeding fine, or use their payment options.

Virgin Dog

I'm the same as Dogwatch - get to one game a year, sometimes none, sometimes more.

The interstate membership get you into 5 games, one of which can be the game played in your state.
I add social club and its around $300 for the year from memory
I don't get $300 of value but as DW says that's my yearly donation to the club

You need to look at it like "What can I do for the club" not "what will the club do for me"

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s helping the club survive and function not flushing down the drain?????
If the club has to rely on interstate fan handouts to just survive, then I question the competence of those in charge. Shouldn't expect charity from interstate fans

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have you contacted the club and expressed your concerns with them? If not why not maybe they can fix you up with some sort of membership.
Hadn't really given it a thought, but probably should enquire and see whether they plan on offering anything for non-attending members

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So many of our loudest supporters aren't members and I'm sick of it. We need to be ruthless. I always get my 11 games + social despite never making it more than once or twice a year and I'm pretty low on the socio-economic scale (but very privileged to be living in such a wonderful country) Very handy for an unexpected year like 16' having social club, might I add.

I've been making excuses for other membershipless "supporters" for years but we need to move past that to be honest. Just pretend you got a speeding fine, or use their payment options.
It's just downright rude to question how much someone supports the club based on whether they pay for a membership. I would rather see my charity go towards actual charities that need it, and support the club in my own way. But * me right?

If the club has to rely on interstate fan handouts to just survive, then I question the competence of those in charge. Shouldn't expect charity from interstate fans
I don't think they come near to needing support [not charity] from interstate fans.
But my statement stands. It all helps. I don't get to many games either, but after 1989 :oops::oops: I would never go without being a member and buy memberships for all my family [don't tell my wife :oops:]. But everyone has their own capabilities and priorities
You seem to be getting a bit defensive bro. I understand if so - we shouldn't be hammering people for not being members, just a bit of positive encouragement :$

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think they come near to needing support [not charity] from interstate fans.
But my statement stands. It all helps. I don't get to many games either, but after 1989 :oops::oops: I would never go without being a member and buy memberships for all my family [don't tell my wife :oops:]. But everyone has their own capabilities and priorities
You seem to be getting a bit defensive bro. I understand if so - we shouldn't be hammering people for not being members, just a bit of positive encouragement :$
Yeah it's fine, everyone has different opinions on it. I just don't like people suggesting that you're not a real fan if you're not a member (which someone did). I'm happy to be a member, I just don't want to effectively donate money to a non-charity, but would be happy to pay for some other form of membership if it were available

👍🏼 Charities are good.
Most of them are more worthy than a footy club too. Even ours.

It’s absolutely a personal choice... but I like to do as the Mexican girl says!

For what it’s worth I got my 5th consecutive year certificate last year, been in WA with the 5 game/1 interstate game option the whole time. Don’t think I ever used the 1 game & I’d just buy 2 or more seats for the mrs or mates to go to the games with.

Now moving to Melbourne I’m looking forward to upgrading my membership, it’s already renewed the other day but just need to call & organise it. Will also add a plus 1 for the mrs who will now become a Bulldog fan :devil:

Could have gone the cheaper option, but at the same time was happy to just support the club. Everyone’s circumstances are different though

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For what it’s worth I got my 5th consecutive year certificate last year, been in WA with the 5 game/1 interstate game option the whole time. Don’t think I ever used the 1 game & I’d just buy 2 or more seats for the mrs or mates to go to the games with.

Now moving to Melbourne I’m looking forward to upgrading my membership, it’s already renewed the other day but just need to call & organise it. Will also add a plus 1 for the mrs who will now become a Bulldog fan :devil:

Could have gone the cheaper option, but at the same time was happy to just support the club. Everyone’s circumstances are different though
Social club is well worth adding on.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah it's fine, everyone has different opinions on it. I just don't like people suggesting that you're not a real fan if you're not a member (which someone did). I'm happy to be a member, I just don't want to effectively donate money to a non-charity, but would be happy to pay for some other form of membership if it were available

Need to be mindful that the charities you talk about aren’t overly meaningful. Most of the big charities only 10-15%of money raised actually reaches the needy, the rest is pocketed by the corporations that run the charity.
Football clubs, corporate charities... It’s almost the same thing.
Personally I’d prefer to spend my coin on the club, at least they aren’t pretending to be the saviour for all unfortunate.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Need to be mindful that the charities you talk about aren’t overly meaningful. Most of the big charities only 10-15%of money raised actually reaches the needy, the rest is pocketed by the corporations that run the charity.
Football clubs, corporate charities... It’s almost the same thing.
Personally I’d prefer to spend my coin on the club, at least they aren’t pretending to be the saviour for all unfortunate.
Yeah that's why I mentioned animal shelters. Most are run by volunteers and actually serve the purpose they claim to. No way I'd donate to the cancer charities that spend <10% of the funds on anything meaningful

Coming up to my 20th year as an interstate member. Rarely get to games, but went to the last Brisbane game (I’m the jinx 😞). Took out social club add-on in 2008 or 9, cancelled it during the BMac years 😢, then renewed it during 2015 - phew! I must have known something 😁.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors

they need to make grounds old people friendly. that way, many of us can go to the stadium. i will barrack for the dogs till i am 110. not to mention bearing children :cool::cool::p:p:straining::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back