Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Soft/Vanilla, scared of a contest, will not make it at AFL level, trade
Doesn't look like he'll be a big body ever either, pretty much like Hoff.

First response on Twitter is #1 lol

I mean... Yeah I'd rather have him than the half captains

* it, just be done with it and make Sutcliffe AFL captain. At least he seems to want to be here (putting him ahead of Wines) and doesn't publicly dismiss our fans (putting him ahead of Jonas). He's more of a PAFC captain than either of those two are.

Reality is, he is a taller version of Sam Gray that doesnt get as many kicks, take as many marks, kick as many goals...

Did those making these comments about Todd not see his end of the year in the Magpies?

For mine I finally started to see the missing ingredient from Todd ( I say finally but he is still young). He started to hit packs and bodies and attack the ball hard.

If he keeps that up combined with his smarts and skills he will be a star.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I don't think its a massive issue if Todd doesn't put on bulk mass in his career. He's more of a third tall option who pressures as well.

We just need to find, develop, kidnap other bigger bodied talls to play with him... which has been our problem long term.

He wasn't drafted to be a third tall! Todd has just turned 21 and at 198cm and 90kg he is doing alright weight wise for talls around his age. Ideally, you would like him to be putting on about 2-3kg a year until he hits his optimal size. But whatever works for him, no two players are alike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's realistic to expect him to become a powerful contested forward.

His strengths are more agility, pressure, positioning and ability to create something from nothing rather than brute force and power.

I think he will be a great point of difference in our forward line over his career but we need a probably need someone to take over the Dixon big unit role in a few years, not sure it's Todd.

For example a Luko / Marshall / Ladhams combo could have enough variety in size, shape and skills to cause all sorts of issues for oppo defenders in 3 years (post Ken).

I don't think it's realistic to expect him to become a powerful contested forward.

His strengths are more agility, pressure, positioning and ability to create something from nothing rather than brute force and power.

I think he will be a great point of difference in our forward line over his career but we need a probably need someone to take over the Dixon big unit role in a few years, not sure it's Todd.

For example a Luko / Marshall / Ladhams combo could have enough variety in size, shape and skills to cause all sorts of issues for oppo defenders in 3 years (post Ken).
Westhoff has never been a contested tall forwards size and yet he's almost 10kgs heavier than Marshall.

Needs to be backed in he has some elite attributes whether our d/h coach & supporters will want his head after a down game or two is highly likely however.

Soft/Vanilla, scared of a contest, will not make it at AFL level, trade

Sick of people making comments on players they don’t watch

Scared of a contest?

The kid has nearly killed half a dozen of his own teammates from launching himself into packs.

and that’s from a kf we drafted who was a stick meant to be years away who only just played his first complete season because both his parents died in each of the previous 2 seasons.

What he’s lacking is confidence and 5 kgs..

Literally the 2 easiest things to ever develop in a key forward.

As opposed to trying to teach Daniel Stewart how to football, or Sam gray to be 20cms taller...

Sick of people making comments on players they don’t watch

Scared of a contest?

The kid has nearly killed half a dozen of his own teammates from launching himself into packs.

and that’s from a kf we drafted who was a stick meant to be years away who only just played his first complete season because both his parents died in each of the previous 2 seasons.

What he’s lacking is confidence and 5 kgs..

Literally the 2 easiest things to ever develop in a key forward.

As opposed to trying to teach Daniel Stewart how to football, or Sam gray to be 20cms taller...
YES! The kid is one of the smartest, love watching him play.

According to our website he's only put on 2 kgs since being drafted

85kgs

87kgs

Seems either very wrong, or there's literally 0 direction for his body shape still.

he did take extended periods of time away from the club with his family situation and who knows if he kept up with his training. You can lose muscle very easily if you dont train. Wouldnt shock me if he was 80kg in 2018.

Ryder and westhoff are only 92/93 kg as well. Thats probably more his aim than 110kg monster type guy

Ive lost count of how many times Marshalls been concussed because of flying for high balls. He's not soft ala dan stewart. Freakish below the knees for a tall, good goal sense. Doesnt help when SPP/Wines/Rockcliff send rocketballs 5 metres away from his reach

Marshall is still so overrated here it's painful.

I hope I'm wrong, but farking hell if this is our future we are totally screwed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back