Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

I haven’t seen Hicks’ second or third but he would’ve been mm away from reds for butt lift on his first attempt.
competition always does weird things to people.
thats why far and away most all time records are broken at backyard meets near where the lifter lives.

*edit*
can really see the effect now with deads. Odell missing 400kg, then Belkin missing 435kg
Do you mean Odell’s bench?

Skipped the press call.

I haven’t seen Hicks’ second or third but he would’ve been mm away from reds for butt lift on his first attempt.

Yeah I noticed in all his training videos he had mad butt lift, but considering it's his first comp he killed it.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Thoughts RU_
iirc both got 2 whites and 1 red
6016CC01-8DED-4E8B-A12E-3CBD1D69801B.jpeg

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I still can’t get over Belkins total at 105kg and 415kg deadlift.

On Yury, if I’ve read the dodgy google translation correctly he said that he got caught out by only having 5 minutes between either his last squat warm up and opener, or (less likely) between his opener and second.
Goes to show that you shouldn’t always train in a perfect world scenario as it rarely happens at comps! (I can vividly remember being at a comp when I first started and a lifter cracking the shits big time about how quick the flights were and how little rest they got between attempts)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Both high, it’s the standard these days though.

I reckon if you spoke to people who’ve been involved in powerlifting since the early 90s they’d say the judging is stricter now than it used to be lol.

I reckon if you spoke to people who’ve been involved in powerlifting since the early 90s they’d say the judging is stricter now than it used to be lol.
That judge on the left at big dogs had his finger stuck on the red, * me.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Belkin sumo'd that deadlift, which makes me wonder how often he does them like that compared to conventional. I switched back to conventional but I like the movement with sumos. Would I be missing anything if I switched back to sumos and stuck with them?

I see some people refer to them online as a "sissy" lift. Why is that? Because the range of motion is shorter? I wouldn't say that about Belkin, gees, haha.

Belkin sumo'd that deadlift, which makes me wonder how often he does them like that compared to conventional. I switched back to conventional but I like the movement with sumos. Would I be missing anything if I switched back to sumos and stuck with them?

I see some people refer to them online as a "sissy" lift. Why is that? Because the range of motion is shorter? I wouldn't say that about Belkin, gees, haha.
I’d be very surprised if even 10% of Belkins deadlifts were conventional, the man has mastered the art of sumo.

Yeah shorter range of motion, I personally find I can typically get a conventional up, when it gets to a grind though it becomes ugly, with a sumo if I haven’t got it, it simply won’t move off the floor.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d be very surprised if even 10% of Belkins deadlifts were conventional, the man has mastered the art of sumo.

Yeah shorter range of motion, I personally find I can typically get a conventional up, when it gets to a grind though it becomes ugly, with a sumo if I haven’t got it, it simply won’t move off the floor.

Yeah in my limited experience, you can't * up a sumo as badly as you can * up a conventional. I find that appealing. I just wonder how functional the lift is. Not sure how many "functionally strong" and "balanced" lifters could pull what Belkin could though.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

he’s still deadlifted 350*3 conventional in training haha
man can just deadlift

I managed to squat 100kg on Monday, but unfortunately my depth was just off :disrelieved: all good though, gives me confidence that I will definitely be able to get it done properly.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I recognise the name but have no idea who the guy is except that the last 3 times he’s popped up on a feed somewhere have been for injuring a bicep, ankle and now shoulder.
Guy appears strong but clearly he’s not all too bright lol.

I recognise the name but have no idea who the guy is except that the last 3 times he’s popped up on a feed somewhere have been for injuring a bicep, ankle and now shoulder.
Guy appears strong but clearly he’s not all too bright lol.

He’s a genetically gifted freak and one of those that actually admits to test. Keeps hurting himself for videos.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was just looking through that 'powerliftinglegends' account. There always seems to be form police ragging on these elite lifters, but it seems petty to me. Apparently this guy said himself he failed the lift by not locking out, but the fact it still leaves the floor at that amount is insane.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I was just looking through that 'powerliftinglegends' account. There always seems to be form police ragging on these elite lifters, but it seems petty to me. Apparently this guy said himself he failed the lift by not locking out, but the fact it still leaves the floor at that amount is insane.

tall poppy syndrome

Bar definitely dipped at the start, got lucky. Think he was good for it but should have been red lights all around.

Apparently a lot of people aren't sure his knees locked out as well. Still impressive.

he’s still deadlifted 350*3 conventional in training haha
man can just deadlift
Beast - although a vid of Eddie Hall doing a 9 x 350kg deadlift showed up on my Facebook feed. That's barely human. Didn't even pause until after the 8th rep.

Beast - although a vid of Eddie Hall doing a 9 x 350kg deadlift showed up on my Facebook feed. That's barely human. Didn't even pause until after the 8th rep.
It’s incredible but Eddie was close to 2x the bodyweight of Yuri.

Back