Test Rugby Rugby World Cup - Japan 2019 Final: England v South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby is a sport with such a low atmosphere. It’s a semi final for crying out loud. Only ones that really give it any feeling are ABs supporters.

I enjoy the game but, admittedly, am not clear on the finer points.

One part that seems odd is that the clock ticks while the kicker sets up for a penalty, typically wasting 1 min plus of actual playing time. In many games I've seen there is around 6 penalties so a lot of playing time can be milked.

Similar for setting up for scrums.

Perhaps the clock should stop when the penalty or scrum is awarded and restart when the kicker begins his run in or the ball is put in, as the case may be.

Happy to be educated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I enjoy the game but, admittedly, am not clear on the finer points.

One part that seems odd is that the clock ticks while the kicker sets up for a penalty, typically wasting 1 min plus of actual playing time. In many games I've seen there is around 6 penalties so a lot of playing time can be milked.

Similar for setting up for scrums.

Perhaps the clock should stop when the penalty or scrum is awarded and restart when the kicker begins to his run in our the ball is put in, as the case may be.

Happy to be educated.

Really good points and fully justified. Scrums are the worst and not sure they will change simply because of the player safety issue.

England will be warm favourites.

South Africa played a good game against Japan and a dour one against Wales, whereas England have played two excellent games against the Wallabies and the All Blacks. Beating South Africa would be the ultimate trifecta in toppling the three Southern Hemisphere juggernauts, and to be fair the Springboks fall somewhere between the Wallabies and All Blacks in ability.

England have an excellent team, coach and game plan - Eddie Jones' entire career has been shaping up to this point, he sacrificed both his playing and teaching career to focus on coaching since the 90's and it's been an upward trajectory since then (barring his dismissal from the Wallabies in 2005).

As a Springboks supporter I can only hope the pressure amounts to too much for the English, and that Erasmus allows for the athleticism and instinctual cunning and flair many of his players possess but have coached out of them at times.

Politically, South Africa winning isn't a bad thing as many of the black players in the team were born during apartheid (prior to 1994) and had no Rights at birth to be playing in the national squad, they're really the 'first generation proper' to have mastered the game and future generations should only serve to more exciting, a bleak ray of sunshine in a country whose economy and employment prospects are down the toilet at present (regardless of race).

Also, neutral supporters should consider their reasons barracking for England - they are by no means a humble people the way the Kiwi's are and are likely to rub it in everyone's faces should they win both the Rugby and Cricket World Cup in the same year. All of a sudden, they didn't lose the Ashes they simply 'drew the series' and the word 'countback' will have as little relevance as it did for sport in 2018. If you haven't experienced their showmanship personally then do a bit of exploring across the media/social media empires and you'll realise they've still been patting themselves on the back since they got out of Dunkirk alive.

Other facts and figures - the only player still in the side from the 2007 match is Francois Steyn and he'll likely start on the bench, so there's no real extra experience going either way. South Africa have played in 2 Rugby WC finals and won both, and in both of those matches they have never scored a try. England have only scored 1 try in 3 Rugby WC final appearances and that was in their winning appearance in 2003. Expect a few of those stats to be broken this weekend.

England will be warm favourites.

South Africa played a good game against Japan and a dour one against Wales, whereas England have played two excellent games against the Wallabies and the All Blacks. Beating South Africa would be the ultimate trifecta in toppling the three Southern Hemisphere juggernauts, and to be fair the Springboks fall somewhere between the Wallabies and All Blacks in ability.

England have an excellent team, coach and game plan - Eddie Jones' entire career has been shaping up to this point, he sacrificed both his playing and teaching career to focus on coaching since the 90's and it's been an upward trajectory since then (barring his dismissal from the Wallabies in 2005).

As a Springboks supporter I can only hope the pressure amounts to too much for the English, and that Erasmus allows for the athleticism and instinctual cunning and flair many of his players possess but have coached out of them at times.

Politically, South Africa winning isn't a bad thing as many of the black players in the team were born during apartheid (prior to 1994) and had no Rights at birth to be playing in the national squad, they're really the 'first generation proper' to have mastered the game and future generations should only serve to more exciting, a bleak ray of sunshine in a country whose economy and employment prospects are down the toilet at present (regardless of race).

Also, neutral supporters should consider their reasons barracking for England - they are by no means a humble people the way the Kiwi's are and are likely to rub it in everyone's faces should they win both the Rugby and Cricket World Cup in the same year. All of a sudden, they didn't lose the Ashes they simply 'drew the series' and the word 'countback' will have as little relevance as it did for sport in 2018. If you haven't experienced their showmanship personally then do a bit of exploring across the media/social media empires and you'll realise they've still been patting themselves on the back since they got out of Dunkirk alive.

Other facts and figures - the only player still in the side from the 2007 match is Francois Steyn and he'll likely start on the bench, so there's no real extra experience going either way. South Africa have played in 2 Rugby WC finals and won both, and in both of those matches they have never scored a try. England have only scored 1 try in 3 Rugby WC final appearances and that was in their winning appearance in 2003. Expect a few of those stats to be broken this weekend.
My friend why should neutral supporters choose to support SA because you perceive England to be arrogant and some of them are but so are many South Africans I have met.
And this nonsense about Dunkirk well my friend the country did do well to survive Dunkirk and no snide from you changes that,and speaking politically the Uk is not in such a strong position these days or has brexit escaped your attention.

I will be supporting England and I hope they win but I will not come here and boast about it and I will take it on the chin if they lose,this other nonsense about lack of humility when winning does not apply to everyone and yes I felt for NZ in the cricket it was a ding dong struggle and to lose the way they did was not fair but that was not the England cricket teams fault.

My friend why should neutral supporters choose to support SA because you perceive England to be arrogant and some of them are but so are many South Africans I have met.
And this nonsense about Dunkirk well my friend the country did do well to survive Dunkirk and no snide from you changes that,and speaking politically the Uk is not in such a strong position these days or has brexit escaped your attention.

I will be supporting England and I hope they win but I will not come here and boast about it and I will take it on the chin if they lose,this other nonsense about lack of humility when winning does not apply to everyone and yes I felt for NZ in the cricket it was a ding dong struggle and to lose the way they did was not fair but that was not the England cricket teams fault.

The post was mostly chung-in-teak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On form it looks like England.Winning two world cups in one year,what's the world coming too.
South Africa are very workman blue collar like in there performance. There not easy pushover in the scrums or on the scoreboard. I think they will put up a really good fight in the GF..If England are a little off tonight watchout.

Lets all hope Jérôme Garcès hates the poms more than Nigel Owens does

Remove this Banner Ad

Back