List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t think we’ve got room to take any DFA’s

We aren’t burning pick 50 unless our intention is to use it in a live trade.

If we intended to look at DFA’s we should tried moving someone like Xerri to the rookie list and delisted Murphy.

Or to a lesser extent move one of Hall, Walker.
Move Will.Walker onto the rookie list?

I'd move more than a dozen easily before him if we're serious about a premiership.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I like Walker.
But honestly, I think it would be a bolder move by the club if we didn't get him and opted to go down the path of backing Durdin, McKay, EVW and a the draft.
i was hopeful we'd seen the back of recycling C graders with the changing of the guard. Clearly I've overrated some of our younger talls.

Clearly I've overrated some of our younger talls.
You wouldn't be the only one. I'm not yet convinced by Durdin or McKay. I've not given up hope, and of course 'big men take time' but I'd be more surprised than not, to see them make it.

In any case, if we're happy to see healthy competition in the squad for midfield spots, for example, why wouldn't the same principle apply to the KPDs? At the very least, it's a risk management strategy. Durdin, McKay and for different reasons, Maj, must all have some questions marks on them. If they erase those question marks by the end of 2020, great. If not, we're skinny down back.

You wouldn't be the only one. I'm not yet convinced by Durdin or McKay. I've not given up hope, and of course 'big men take time' but I'd be more surprised than not, to see them make it.

In any case, if we're happy to see healthy competition in the squad for midfield spots, for example, why wouldn't the same principle apply to the KPDs? At the very least, it's a risk management strategy. Durdin, McKay and for different reasons, Maj, must all have some questions marks on them. If they erase those question marks by the end of 2020, great. If not, we're skinny down back.
I'm coming from a position where we'll never know if Sam or Ben are capable if we bring in a Walker or similar, as it will be natural for Shaw (or any coach for that matter) to keep playing the recruit to justify the decision. I think we know that Walker is limited and not necessarily the answer. As I posted recently, young Larkey would likely have languished if Waite had gone around again.

I'm coming from a position where we'll never know if Sam or Ben are capable if we bring in a Walker or similar, as it will be natural for Shaw (or any coach for that matter) to keep playing the recruit to justify the decision. I think we know that Walker is limited and not necessarily the answer. As I posted recently, young Larkey would likely have languished if Waite had gone around again.
It probably also depends on how close you think we are to competing at the top end of the table. Shaw has 'sold' a vision to assistant coaches of a more competitive side than the one that is held, external to our club.

I'd go the other way around... development in the VFL didn't harm Larkey's development. Indeed, it could be argued it supported him to have the season he did. As much as I loved W80, it was the right time. Walker is 26 - "I'm not old.." - not 32 and it wouldn't surprise me to see him do well with us.

If Durdin and McKay are all they're cracked up to be by some, and Walker is as crap (ordinary) as some are suggesting, then they'll simply go straight past him, right?!

Last edited:
It probably also depends on how close you think we are to competing at the top end of the table. Shaw has 'sold' a vision to assistant coaches of a more competitive side than the one that is held, external to our club.

I'd go the other way around... development in the VFL didn't harm Larkey's development. Indeed, it could be argued it supported him to have the season he did. As much as I loved W80, it was the right time. Walker is 26 - "I'm not old.." - not 32 and it wouldn't surprise me to see him do well with us.

If Durdin and McKay are all they're cracked up to be by some, and Walker is a crap (ordinary) as some are suggesting, then they'll simply go straight past him, right?!
Apologies if I'm labouring the issue ... I was attempting to make the point that had Waitey played on, Larkey may well have been on the periphery or playing for Old Trinity now. Even following Waite's retirement, Brad was reluctant to play Larks in a forward line with Brown.

Grab him in the mid season draft if he's playing well in our VFL side, injury free and Durdin, McKay et al aren't cutting it.

Like that idea.

Or we could give McKay, Durdin and Daw the change to cement their spot in the pre-season and if they don’t show significant progress then you could pick up Walker as a supplementary selection prior to the season starting

North Melbourne registers interest in discarded Lion Josh Walker

Josh Walker was handed a lifeline by Brisbane after he was let go by Geelong, and he could get another one from a Melbourne club after the Lions surprisingly delisted the swingman.
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
November 2, 2019 5:55pm

Josh Walker has emerged as North Melbourne’s key defensive saviour in the wake of his Brisbane Lions delisting.

The Kangaroos have an active interest in Walker, with Rhyce Shaw eager to add defensive depth to his squad.

Scott Thompson’s retirement has left Robbie Tarrant as the Roos’ only experienced tall stopper, with Majak Daw not seen at AFL level since 2018.

Walker, 26, last month became a victim of the Lions’ blossoming squad and good run with injury last season, but his delisting surprised many in the industry given his intercept marking strength.

He was even in the conversation for All-Australian selection early in the season after featuring in nine of the Lions’ first 10 games before falling out of favour.

Walker arrived at the Gabba after 33 games for Geelong, where he was used primarily as a forward. But his best footy came as a defender for the Lions.

He has played 85 AFL games.

“Josh Walker should be playing league footy and should be on a list next year,” Lions great Alastair Lynch told Fox Footy last month.

“At worst, he’s a very reliable key-position player at either end as a back-up.

“Everyone feels that he’s been around for a long time — and he has to a certain extent — but he’s got plenty of good footy ahead of him.”

North Melbourne can immediately sign Walker as a delisted free agent, with the first signing window having opened on Friday and running until November 11.

Speaking on the first day of trade period last month, Roos coach Shaw put on record the club’s search for a key defender.

North Melbourne made a play for Port Adelaide’s Dougal Howard, but lost out to St Kilda.

“We need a key back and Dougal, obviously, fits that mould for us but there are a couple of other players in that area we might have a look at,” Shaw said.

“We’re looking to fill that need down back.”

Walker is among a clutch of delisted talls holding out hope of an AFL lifeline, with Lachie Henderson, Mitch Brown, Callum Moore and Fletcher Roberts all moved on by their respective clubs.

Just didn't see this coming.

I'm fascinated to know what's going through Rhyce's mind re: Majak, B-Mac & Durdin.

Apologies if I'm labouring the issue ... I was attempting to make the point that had Waitey played on, Larkey may well have been on the periphery or playing for Old Trinity now. Even following Waite's retirement, Brad was reluctant to play Larks in a forward line with Brown.
Nah, you're nuancing, and I get it. We're yet to see Shaw's approach to here, but the fact that we're looking at Walker and Howard before him, suggests we're concerned about depth and injury cover, at best, or that Durdin and McKay don't fill us with confidence.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, from a coaching point of view, and from that of player development.

I'll say this much in Walkers favor, I'd take him over a couple of the blokes they kept on the list.

McInerney: Physical presence of soggy rice bubbles
McStay: Good mark, can't kick.
Hipwood: Flaky
Wooller: ???????
Skinner: Drafted 4 years ago. Played 1 game, 2 years ago
Smith: Gone
Martin: Turns 33 in 2 weeks
Ballenden: Rookied?

If Andrews goes down they are in a world of s**t themselves.

Pretty clear that we have (he has) been looking at key backs, given the earlier comments: “We need a key back and Dougal, obviously, fits that mould for us but there are a couple of other players in that area we might have a look at,” Shaw said. “We’re looking to fill that need down back.”

I'm fascinated to know what's going through Rhyce's mind re: Majak, B-Mac & Durdin.
You and me both. (Bookmark this one, kids.) It'll be interesting to observe what happens in this space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not anything sinister I’m guessing.

I imagine he’s thinking that if we have another run of injuries/ suspensions like last year, we are screwed!

Also with Maj and BMac kinda untested for different reasons there is inherent risk in the unknown.

The opportunity to pick up a guy with 5/6 years left in him that was apparently highly regarded after 10 games last year - it’s a no brained

Are Brisbane any less f’ed if Andrews gets hurt? Begs the question as to why they didn’t retain Walker.
Not our problem how they choose to manage risk. And no delisted players would ever be picked up if this begged question drove decisions.

People are assuming an extra tall defender takes opportunities from Durdin and McKay, but he could just be handy depth under Shaw (like Campbell has been).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back