Podcast Every WC Player of the 2010's ranked

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Running List:

#86 Assortment of Substitutes (Tom Lamb/Cale Morton/Gerrick Weedon/Ryan Neates)
#85 Brant Colledge
#84 Josh Smith
#83 Jordan Jones
#82 Jarrod Brander
#81 Adam Carter
#80 Ashley Hansen
#79 Kurt Mutimer
#78 Brayden Ainsworth
#77 Murray Newman
#76 Luke Partington
#75 Simon Tunbridge
#74 Francis Watson
#73 Koby Stevens
#72 Beau Wilkes
#71 Matthew Spangher
#70 Josh Rotham
#69 Brett Jones
#68 Fraser McInnes
#67 Jonathan Giles
#66 Malcolm Karpany

#65 Callum Wilson
#64 Blayne Wilson
#63 Ben McKinley
#62 Brendon Ah Chee
#61 Lewis Stevenson
#60 Tom Swift
#59 Jarrod Cameron
#58 Andrew Strijk
#57 Jacob Brennan
#56 Daniel Venables
#55 Ashley Smith
#54 Jack Petruccelle
#53 Bradd Dalziell
#52 Jake Waterman
#51 Oscar Allen
#50 Tom Hickey
#49 Jamie Bennell
#48 Jackson Nelson
#47 Xavier Ellis
#46 Mitch Brown
#45 Brad Ebert
#44 Callum Sinclair
#43 Ashton Hams
#42 Tom Cole
#41 Drew Petrie
#40 Adam Selwood
#39 Patrick McGinnity
#38 Nathan Vardy
#37 Sam Mitchell
#36 Mark Nicoski
#35 Quinten Lynch
#34 Liam Duggan
#33 Willie Rioli
#32 Liam Ryan
#31 Andrew Embley
#30 Josh Hill
#29 Tom Barrass
#28 Mark Hutchings
#27 Sharrod Wellingham
#26 Daniel Kerr

#25 Scott Lycett
#24 Sam Butler
#23 Jack Redden

#22 Matt Rosa
#21 Lewis Jetta
#20 Dom Sheed
#19 Will Schofield
#18 Scott Selwood
#17 Beau Waters
#16 Chris Masten
#15 Darren Glass
#14 Brad Sheppard
#13 Jamie Cripps
#12 Dean Cox
#11 Eric Mackenzie
#10 Elliot Yeo
#9 Mark LeCras
#8 Jack Darling
#7 Nic Naitanui
#6 Andrew Gaff

#5 Shannon Hurn
#4 Matt Priddis
#3 Jeremy McGovern
#2 Luke Shuey
#1 Josh Kennedy

Every player to take the field in a H+A/Finals game between 2010-2019 ranked based on their contributions during that period of time.

#86: The Assortment of Substitutes
Some of you may be too young to remember, but at the beginning of the decade the AFL ran with the substitute rule, which often meant players would only spend 20 minutes on the field, struggle to get a touch then spend the post game running laps. Fortunately, it was aborted, but it is difficult to singularly rank players who didn't have enough time to impact.

Tom Lamb

Hyped up as a steal pre draft, he played every game in pre-season. At the time, he seemed to be one of the most exciting things heading into 2015. We were unsure where the list was at and they seemed keen to fast track a few kids in, with Nelson and Lamb named Round 1 and Duggan Round 2.

Lamb started as the sub against the Dogs, but came on fairly early when pressure forward Mitch Brown went down with injury. He didn't disgrace himself, 10 touches and a goal from a handball in the square from LeCras (one of 5 goal assists that night!), but didn't do enough to stay in. Mostly mediocre WAFL form with occasional glimpses followed and he was delisted without being seen again.

Cale Morton

A Hail Mary pick 88 trade, he played 3 games as a sub in our doomed 2013 season. I actually didn't see these games, looks like he found a bit of it though, 16 touches and 1.2 from 44% game time against the Swans and 13 from 47% against the Dogs. Was always way too outside though and was dumped when Simpson arrived.

Gerrick Weedon and Ryan Neates

Both were drafted in that era where we took small mids and tried to turn them into forwards. Both debuted at Marvel in losses to the Bombers, Neates in the game they were doped up. Weedon, after being drafted right in-between Fyfe and Duncan, managed 3 clangers from 3 touches. Neates was a nice WAFL player but way too small without the athleticism or strength to impact at the highest level.

Last edited:

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Adam Carter, Blayne Wilson, Ash Smith

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
By what metric combination are the players ranked - is it purely from the OP's opinion or is there a legitimate measurement that takes place?
I've been working on a complicated algorithm the past few months that is factored in. But 99% of it is my subjective opinion.

#85 Brant Colledge

The least good of the decade. Not known for having any specific attributes, he was drafted based on his 'intangibles'. At 192cm, he played mostly through the midfield at WAFL level, managing 2 games in early 2014, where he struggled to find much of it. Got another chance in 2015, playing 1 quarter as the sub. A player that never had a clearly defined role and wasn't quite good enough for senior level.

#84 Josh Smith

Managed 2 games before being delisted after 1 year. Had been ok at Collingwood and was drafted as mature depth. He could train the house down as well as anyone, but offered very little in his 2 games, struggling against GWS before racking it up in junk time, then managing only 10 touches against the Swans. Late pick, but a bit of a waste of time.

#83 Jordan Jones

From what I can remember of him I thought he looked quite promising and was disappointed he was delisted. Only managed 2 games late in our wooden spoon season, I thought he was a good decision maker and didn't get enough of a chance. Mostly barely remembered for being selected one spot before Michael Walters.

#82 Jarrod Brander

Fortunate to be this high. Looks a great talent, and has been very unlucky in the games he has been selected for. His first quarter against the Lions this year was very promising.

#81 Adam Carter

Really hard to remember him in action. Taken 1 pick before Hutchings and shortly after Colledge in the dreadful 2012 draft, he never quite looked up to it and was delisted after 2 years. A short back pocket, he played 5 games at the end of the Worsfold era and got 2 token games at the end of Simpson's first season.

Didn't Carter do a good job on Ballantyne in a derby? Or was that preseason...

Yeah he either shut down Ballantyne or Farmer in one game and the Eagles supporters were praising the lord that we had finally found a small defender after getting carved to s**t for so many years by opposition small forwards. That went well.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Yeah he either shut down Ballantyne or Farmer in one game and the Eagles supporters were praising the lord that we had finally found a small defender after getting carved to s**t for so many years by opposition small forwards. That went well.
Was Ballantyne in 2013

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha... 2013....

Any youngster who could walk properly would have been called a hero that year. Carter wasn’t even that good against the hobbit, however since he wasn’t a cooked Adam Selwood, he got praise.

I always thought 2001 would be our worst year ever, but 2013 makes an interesting case. The “Essendope are brave” game killed any proper care I had for footy for months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know who was smoking the good stuff back in the day, but i can only speculate they must have been fried to have elected to recruit Gerrick Weedon and Tony Notte.

Weedon particularly hurts because if memory serves me correct, he was the guy selected right after Nat Fyfe

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't know who was smoking the good stuff back in the day, but i can only speculate they must have been fried to have elected to recruit Gerrick Weedon and Tony Notte.

Weedon particularly hurts because if memory serves me correct, he was the guy selected right after Nat Fyfe
Rumor has it that we were going to select Fyfe with that pick, too.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

This is a bit of revisionist history. Tony Notte was actually a promising talent who was unfortunately cut down by not being able to put on weight. He's actually still playing for Swan Districts in the WAFL, so it's not like it was a pick that came out of nowhere.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Tony Notte was actually a promising talent who was unfortunately cut down by not being able to put on weight.

I dunno man, we have some elite strength and conditioning people on our books that we can utilize.

I don't buy that a kid just can't put on weight; huge calorie surplus + elite strength and conditioning coaches = mass gain

The exception to this is if he had an overactive thyroid. Then that falls on our medical team for not doing due diligence if that was the case

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember Carter being okay in his first few games and a lot of us didn’t mind him on here.

Spud though.
The only games of the decade that I've missed/not revisited was that mid patch in 2013, so I didn't see his game against Freo nor Cale Morton as an Eagle at all. He only played a few games though, there's very little separating the first 15-20 players.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha... 2013....

Any youngster who could walk properly would have been called a hero that year. Carter wasn’t even that good against the hobbit, however since he wasn’t a cooked Adam Selwood, he got praise.

I always thought 2001 would be our worst year ever, but 2013 makes an interesting case. The “Essendope are brave” game killed any proper care I had for footy for months.
It was a pretty lame year other than the NN game. Coming into it we seemed to be one of the young teams on the rise that could challenge, but nearly all our youngsters stagnated and our older players hit the wall at once.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

20 Fyfe
21 Bastinac
22 Weedon
23 K Stevens
24 Carlisle
28 Duncan
29 Gunston.

Think we were keen on Fyfe and Bastinac. The annoying thing was Weedon was only really linked with us and was thought to be a much later pick, at the time it felt like we were the only ones rating him that high and weren't getting great value for such an early pick.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
#80 Ashley Hansen

Yep, he was still around then. He played 2 games at the start of the wooden spoon season before being chucked in the bin. Was a unique player, 198cm but clearly a lead up CHF. An important player when we were contending through 05-07, but seemed dispensable as soon as the window closed, despite still being fairly young. He was only 27 in the 2010 season but he seemed like a relic from another era by then, not offering much beyond lead hard and mark. Took 10 marks in his first 2010 game (from 11 touches) but the game had passed him by, and the Key Forward position had turned from a weakness in the 05-07 era to something resembling a strength with Kennedy coming through.

#79 Kurt Mutimer

Played 4 games in early 2017 when Simpson went too far the other way. The youngsters coming through at that time were seemingly pretty grim and Kurt was one of the best performed. Didn't do too badly when out there without doing anything well, he was a smart but unpolished player.

Needed a more defined role, was initially an inside mid in the WAFL but wasn't good enough to play there at AFL level, he mostly played in the black hole Half-Forward role at senior level, which he wasn't really suited for. Retooled into a back pocket where we weren't short on depth meant his papers were stamped a while out.

#78 Brayden Ainsworth

Anus and Worpel.

#77 Murray Newman

Muzzaaaa. Was a sub in 4 of his 6 games. Clearly had a bit of talent and although he didn't find a stack of it, had a nice impact when on the field. 13 touches and 2.2 in 38% game time against GC. Would probably still be playing if he wasn't lazy and violent. The club probably should have done more due diligence before blowing a top 25 pick on him. Fun fact, I know a girl who matched with him on Tinder while he was in Prison.

#76 Luke Partington

I didn't mind him. I thought he had some really slick hands and he looked dangerous around goal, although 3.5 isn't flattering. When watching him at AFL level though, he looked like a kid out there, his lack of size was really pronounced. Kind of forgotten but he was actually playing in the Port extra time final.

There was a real push for him to get games by the general public due to racking up the touches in the WAFL (and we were the oldest side in the league), but there was clearly something the club didn't like about him. Certainly the WAFL watchers on here mostly didn't rate him. Went home to SA and won the Magarey Medal this year, he may get another chance at the draft, but I suspect he will prove to be just a very good reserves player.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
20 Fyfe
21 Bastinac
22 Weedon
23 K Stevens
24 Carlisle
28 Duncan
29 Gunston.

Think we were keen on Fyfe and Bastinac. The annoying thing was Weedon was only really linked with us and was thought to be a much later pick, at the time it felt like we were the only ones rating him that high and weren't getting great value for such an early pick.

That hurts my soul reading some of the guys we could have had 😫

Remove this Banner Ad

Back