MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Our Watts blunder is nothing compared to the Saints going for McCartain. Even if you think Trac has stalled, he's still done more than McCartain after missing his first season with a busted leg
You have to feel sorry for the bloke, particularly when you hear about the issues he's had with these concussions, but really, it's saved him from being proven as an absolute failure of a number 1 pick. The article about him sitting out next season had the stats pro section they do for all players when it's an article about them, and he's rated average for marks, and below average for everything else. St Kilda will be able to say that concussion prevented him from ever being able to show his best, but I think it was pretty clear from what he did show that he was just a bog average footballer.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
You have to feel sorry for the bloke, particularly when you hear about the issues he's had with these concussions, but really, it's saved him from being proven as an absolute failure of a number 1 pick. The article about him sitting out next season had the stats pro section they do for all players when it's an article about them, and he's rated average for marks, and below average for everything else. St Kilda will be able to say that concussion prevented him from ever being able to show his best, but I think it was pretty clear from what he did show that he was just a bog average footballer.

Classic guy who did well at u/18 level due to his size but couldn't bring it across to AFL level. Would probably make a good VFL FF, Hawkins did the same at u/18 level but he is much bigger than McCartin.

bloke was/is a spud anyway

The concussion issues have kept the media at bay in regards to his performance/skill level

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
I'll go to hell for this but he's essentially the Philip Hughes of footy. Media loved to roast Hughesy constantly for his s**t technique and extremely limited range and then he died and became their darling and Australia had lost one of its finest batting hopes.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'll go to hell for this but he's essentially the Philip Hughes of footy. Media loved to roast Hughesy constantly for his s**t technique and extremely limited range and then he died and became their darling and Australia had lost one of its finest batting hopes.
Well to be fair Hughes had started making runs again at the domestic level so he was right in line for selection again. Considering how bad our batting is he would still be getting a game for us now probably

Well to be fair Hughes had started making runs again at the domestic level so he was right in line for selection again. Considering how bad our batting is he would still be getting a game for us now probably
He made 600 runs inc a double century in the 2013/14 Shield and then 170 runs from five innings in the season in which he died, after averaging 28 in his last year of test cricket from nine matches. Pretty decent but hardly a star turnaround given his issue was never making domestic runs against dud bowlers, it was fronting up against international ones who actually put time into working him out. It’s the problem with recruiting batsmen from NSW where they never have to bat against the best coached pace unit (their own) in Australian first class cricket. You’d like to think he might have improved as he matured and pulled a Steve Smith but there was no evidence to suggest it was likely.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He made 600 runs inc a double century in the 2013/14 Shield and then 170 runs from five innings in the season in which he died, after averaging 28 in his last year of test cricket from nine matches. Pretty decent but hardly a star turnaround given his issue was never making domestic runs against dud bowlers, it was fronting up against international ones who actually put time into working him out. It’s the problem with recruiting batsmen from NSW where they never have to bat against the best coached pace unit (their own) in Australian first class cricket. You’d like to think he might have improved as he matured and pulled a Steve Smith but there was no evidence to suggest it was likely.
I don't think he was capable of averaging 50 at test level but 40? Yeah I reckon. Certainly more capable than Marsh and some of the other scrubs

tbf Hughes was a good cricketer who couldnt deal with a short ball.

McCartin has a s**t tank and is a s**t mark. The media have been soft on him because of his concussion issues and he goes out with Brownless/Lyons daughter/in law.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think he was capable of averaging 50 at test level but 40? Yeah I reckon. Certainly more capable than Marsh and some of the other scrubs

Would have had to completely reinvent himself. Hughes' technique was horrendous. Marsh's technique is quite solid - its his concentration and shot selection that let him down. Guys like Marsh (Callum Ferguson etc) are teases in that they absolutely look the part when in form and batting well, but get out cheaply and fail too often. Hughes was punching above his weight in a way - his first class record is pretty bloody good for a bloke with one shot.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Would have had to completely reinvent himself. Hughes' technique was horrendous. Marsh's technique is quite solid - its his concentration and shot selection that let him down. Guys like Marsh (Callum Ferguson etc) are teases in that they absolutely look the part when in form and batting well, but get out cheaply and fail too often. Hughes was punching above his weight in a way - his first class record is pretty bloody good for a bloke with one shot.
Don't know about having to completely reinvent himself. Scored centuries against a bloody good saffer attack over there. Pretty sure he could have easily averaged around 40 at test level.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't know about having to completely reinvent himself. Scored centuries against a bloody good saffer attack over there. Pretty sure he could have easily averaged around 40 at test level.

Yep, when he first came in to the side. After analysts had had a brief look at his technique, he was getting caught by Martin Guptill at second slip every innings. He scored three centuries in 26 Tests, and two of those were in his second Test. His Test average was down to 32 odd - he wasn't bringing that back up to 40+ without working on his game and adding some more strings to the bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yep, when he first came in to the side. After analysts had had a brief look at his technique, he was getting caught by Martin Guptill at second slip every innings. He scored three centuries in 26 Tests, and two of those were in his second Test. His Test average was down to 32 odd - he wasn't bringing that back up to 40+ without working on his game and adding some more strings to the bow.
Which he easily could have. He was 25 or something when he passed away. Most guys aren't at their best as a bat in their early 20s. I don't think he had a world class technique by any means but considering some of the blokes like Khawaja have played 50 odd tests I reckon he would have gone allright.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which he easily could have. He was 25 or something when he passed away. Most guys aren't at their best as a bat in their early 20s. I don't think he had a world class technique by any means but considering some of the blokes like Khawaja have played 50 odd tests I reckon he would have gone allright.

Khawaja has appalling footwork and enjoys lazily fishing outside off far too often. He has more than one shot, though. Hughes had one of the worst and most limited techniques I've ever seen.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Khawaja has appalling footwork and enjoys lazily fishing outside off far too often. He has more than one shot, though. Hughes had one of the worst and most limited techniques I've ever seen.
You don't fluke scoring runs against that south African attack.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You don't fluke scoring runs against that south African attack.

Sure you can, that's what a fluke is. The thing you can't fluke is consistently scoring runs with glaring technical deficiencies in your game. I'm not saying he couldn't bat - he clearly could, but he was never going to reestablish himself at the top level while he kept clunking balls outside off at catchable height to slip / gully every innings.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Sure you can, that's what a fluke is. The thing you can't fluke is consistently scoring runs with glaring technical deficiencies in your game. I'm not saying he couldn't bat - he clearly could, but he was never going to reestablish himself at the top level while he kept clunking balls outside off at catchable height to slip / gully every innings.
He was 25..... He was a baby at test level. I agree he couldn't have averaged 50 but 40? Yeah I reckon he would score enough runs to do that.

Pretty pointless, but even with the worst technique you've ever seen he averaged 32, tighten it up 10% and he still would have been a decent test bat.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He was 25..... He was a baby at test level. I agree he couldn't have averaged 50 but 40? Yeah I reckon he would score enough runs to do that.

Pretty pointless, but even with the worst technique you've ever seen he averaged 32, tighten it up 10% and he still would have been a decent test bat.

Nah. He was getting worse, not better. Have a look at the run of single digit scores he was churning out in his most recent Tests in 2013. He may well have changed in his mid to late 20s, but he hadn't changed and its a reach to assume he would.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nah. He was getting worse, not better. Have a look at the run of single digit scores he was churning out in his most recent Tests in 2013. He may well have changed in his mid to late 20s, but he hadn't changed and its a reach to assume he would.
I'd think it's a reach to say a bloke who was 25 couldn't improve enough to average an extra 7..

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd think it's a reach to say a bloke who was 25 couldn't improve enough to average an extra 7..

And we said the same thing about Jack Watts for 5 years, too. Khawaja has had the same deficiencies in his game for his entire career, and so have plenty of other players. You can hope a player improves their game, but don't bank on it happening. Clearly a moot point here but we always fall into the trap of wanting development to be a linear progression when that's clearly not the case. Some people improve out of sight, a la Steve Smith (and its a rarity), and plenty stagnate and hardly improve at all / operate within the same limitations they always have.

Anyway, surely this is enough back and forth on the topic. I'll just leave it here and finish by saying you're a campaigner, nickgrant69.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And we said the same thing about Jack Watts for 5 years, too. Khawaja has had the same deficiencies in his game for his entire career, and so have plenty of other players. You can hope a player improves their game, but don't bank on it happening. Clearly a moot point here but we always fall into the trap of wanting development to be a linear progression when that's clearly not the case. Some people improve out of sight, a la Steve Smith (and its a rarity), and plenty stagnate and hardly improve at all / operate within the same limitations they always have.

Anyway, surely this is enough back and forth on the topic. I'll just leave it here and finish by saying you're a campaigner, nickgrant69.

Choke on some Great Northern campaigner.

McCartin has a s**t tank and is a s**t mark. The media have been soft on him because of his concussion issues and he goes out with Brownless/Lyons daughter/in law.

He couldn’t deal with ones full outside off either which is basically the opposite of the short ball.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He couldn’t deal with ones full outside off either which is basically the opposite of the short ball.

If you bowled exactly where he wanted them and didn't put fielders where he hit the ball all the time, he was a phenomenal player.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

One thing McCartin could do besides getting concussed is mark the ball. Not sure why you think he's a s**t mark??

Agree on Phil Hughes though. I'm fairly certain he'd be a mainstay in this test team right now. Had some deficiencies in his batting as everyone does, but he was talented. Absolutely could have been averaging 40 at test level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back