#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how people aren’t actually even reading the fine print on Harmes.

- it was a 4 year extension, he was already contracted for 2020
- he is much better than a ‘good honest toilet’
- he would hardly be getting paid squillions

Also like how Kornes says the Lever and May contracts are failures when they aren’t even halfway through their deal.
He can only base his comments on what Lever and May have delivered so far, which is f*** all. So yes, right now we are open to criticism about the contracts given to Lever and May. I think May is a solid defender, but if i had the choice of him or Ben King right now, no way May stays.

In regards to Harmes, again unfortunately I agree with Cornes. You lock your stars away on long contracts, not your B grade toilers. I like Harmes, but locked away for 5 years??? Wow!!

He was our best player for about the last 10 weeks of 2018

He is a B grader. No shame in that. Extend him for two years on okay money and move on. It’s not hard but apparently it is for the genii that run our club.

No other club is going to swoop in and offer James Harmes a four or five year deal. None.

Frankly, it’s embarrassing.

He can only base his comments on what Lever and May have delivered so far, which is f*** all. So yes, right now we are open to criticism about the contracts given to Lever and May. I think May is a solid defender, but if i had the choice of him or Ben King right now, no way May stays.

In regards to Harmes, again unfortunately I agree with Cornes. You lock your stars away on long contracts, not your B grade toilers. I like Harmes, but locked away for 5 years??? Wow!!

If you’re judging trades when they aren’t even halfway through the current deal then you’re being incredibly reactionary. The Tyson deal looked great in 2014 and look how that’s panned out.

He can comment on how they've gone so far, which is not well, but you can't rubber stamp them as failures so soon, and the fact that he has is what makes him look like a dickhead so often, and I actually don't mind him as a general rule. Even saying they're a failure to this point is unjust, particularly Lever, should we have paid him less, and played hardball at the trade table because he might do another ACL after 4-5 years of AFL footy without issue?

If they are paying him equal or less than Hawthorn are paying Frosty, we are in front. Paying more even.

Shouldn't you be wary of sweeping statements after we failed the trade period before it started?

Harmes is a gun. I don’t know what these negative nellies are smoking! He is just entering his prime, he runs harder for longer than any of our other mids, he takes marks, kicks goals and is always strong in the contest. He’s probably our most versatile and well rounded mid, and all coming off the rookie list! If that’s more an indictment on our first round pick princes than that’s shame on them, I’m happy to show Harmes the money for his efforts. I wish we had three or four more exactly like him to be honest, and I’m sure the coaches do too.

Harmes is a gun. I don’t know what these negative nellies are smoking! He is just entering his prime, he runs harder for longer than any of our other mids, he takes marks, kicks goals and is always strong in the contest. He’s probably our most versatile and well rounded mid, and all coming off the rookie list! If that’s more an indictment on our first round pick princes than that’s shame on them, I’m happy to show Harmes the money for his efforts. I wish we had three or four more exactly like him to be honest, and I’m sure the coaches do too.
Agreed. If he went pick 5 in 2014 and wasn't a rookie we'd all be patting Mahoney on the back.

Could not agree more. So glad we locked him away. People are clearly underestimating how important he is to our team. Other teams would definitely target him with big offers! He is a gun and just getting better and better every year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are paying him equal or less than Hawthorn are paying Frosty, we are in front. Paying more even.
If what I have read about Frosty getting $650k per year then we are paying a lot less that. It's a great deal.

If what I have read about Frosty getting $650k per year then we are paying a lot less that. It's a great deal.
If what I have heard about Frosty recently is true [which I believe it could be] not only did we get a great deal, but Hawthorn might have to work on his attitude.

Geez there are a lot of people over rating Harmes here. Good honest tryer. Had a decent season in a year where we finished 2nd last! If he's in our top 5 players, we're in a lot of trouble. No club is chasing this guy! 5 years is ridiculous. Oliver, Gawn or Petracca on 5 years? No worries. James Harmes? Nah. His manager must be the best in the biz. Worth every cent. Geez we constantly make bad decisions at this club. Guess that's why we haven't won a flag since 64.

Geez there are a lot of people over rating Harmes here. Good honest tryer. Had a decent season in a year where we finished 2nd last! If he's in our top 5 players, we're in a lot of trouble. No club is chasing this guy! 5 years is ridiculous. Oliver, Gawn or Petracca on 5 years? No worries. James Harmes? Nah. His manager must be the best in the biz. Worth every cent. Geez we constantly make bad decisions at this club. Guess that's why we haven't won a flag since 64.

Nice melt again
Harmes finished 3rd in 2018 as well so back to back top 5 finishes, Petracca has never finished top 5 or close to it the inconsistency of your posts is a good laugh.

Completely depends on what he's being paid across those extra 4 years (he's still got one more year on his exisiting contract). If we are getting him for unders, it's not a bad deal - even if he isn't a top 5 player, although he might well be. He's exactly the kind of guy we would probably lose to a club like Hawthorn in a few years time when his value becomes known and he fits a role. He's the kind of player we need to keep in our team for 5 years to drive our standards up. We don't have enough hard workers. And he does have real ability.

Yeah at the risk of being overly indulgent Harmes at his best is a genuine star, he was one of the top players in the comp in the back half of 2018 but didn’t stand out as much as he should have because Brayshaw, Oliver and (even at times) Viney werre running hot in more dynamic roles. He’s a barometer player too. I expect he’ll play in more diverse roles next year too either on a wing or half back or the forward thing he did when he annihilated St Kilda in 20 minutes. It’s a good signing. He was never going to change clubs but fewer things to talk about is a good thing in this regard.

Harmes isn't a genuine star; he's a versatile and solid B grader that's around the 4th or 5th best-performed player on our list in recent years and is someone we should be locking away. I'm guessing the 5 year deal may have a bit to do with keeping him away from free agency temptation in that prime 26/27 age bracket where other clubs can still get a good 5 years out of them. Don't know how much he'd be getting for his 5 year deal, but $500 or $600k is probably reasonable.

Regardless of whether you think Harmes is or isn't a star, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think there would be plenty of other clubs that would come knocking if he remained out of contract. Good kick, good in the contest, good mark over head, good tank, good turn of foot and can find the goals given the opportunity. There would be the view that he's the forgotten one amongst the better known players in our midfield, making him very gettable, which even if it didn't lead to him leaving, it'd drive his price up further from where it is now, which I still think he took a bit of unders to get the longer term.

Exactly the sort of player that North would offer $600k+ to after they miss out on everyone they offered millions to again

Regardless of whether you think Harmes is or isn't a star, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think there would be plenty of other clubs that would come knocking if he remained out of contract. Good kick, good in the contest, good mark over head, good tank, good turn of foot and can find the goals given the opportunity. There would be the view that he's the forgotten one amongst the better known players in our midfield, making him very gettable, which even if it didn't lead to him leaving, it'd drive his price up further from where it is now, which I still think he took a bit of unders to get the longer term.

Exactly the sort of player that North would offer $600k+ to after they miss out on everyone they offered millions to again

The argument is not whether other clubs would come knocking. It’s whether another club would be willing to entice a B grader like Harmes away with a big five year offer. That’s the only reason to tie him up until 2024, instead of doing the sensible list management thing and add two years to his existing 2020 contract.

It would never happen. I’ve had passing conversations with several mates with keen footy brains (who support other clubs) and all agreed this was a strange decision at best. At worst - totally irresponsible.

If James Harmes is a Demon ‘star’ then we may as well shut the gates on the joint now. Ludicrousness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back