Delisted Free Agents - who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, I'd rather we didn't pick him up...for about 5 months so he can come back and open the batting and bowling, just a gun cricketer. To be honest he is worth a go, quality guy.
Maybe we can go the Sydney Stack route and get him trainning with us then sign him in January if he impresses

Maybe we can go the Sydney Stack route and get him trainning with us then sign him in January if he impresses

Nah, his AFL career seems over TBH, no bites, offers he is getting are all state club level.

On a maybe not DFA subject, we have sounded out Brad Close (so have West Coast), so I'd be happy with that if we picked up Closey, he is just one of those annoying bastards that takes up a sport and is then playing for the state a month later. Absolute quality as a person, he wouldn't finish a season not knowing whether he gave it 100%

In my view Walker is the only DFA we should be looking at. He's absolutely an upgrade on Harto and at absolute worst provides depth. Walker's disposal is light years ahead of Harto, who is good defensively but deplorable with ball in hand. Walker can also swing forward.

Walker is also a similar age to Harto and I believe younger than Keath, who we got something for.

So if we can get him in as a DFA, I'd be pretty happy with this.

In my view Walker is the only DFA we should be looking at. He's absolutely an upgrade on Harto and at absolute worst provides depth. Walker's disposal is light years ahead of Harto, who is good defensively but deplorable with ball in hand. Walker can also swing forward.

Walker is also a similar age to Harto and I believe younger than Keath, who we got something for.

Not a fan of getting mid age DFA because they only offer depth when we should be getting games into Butts & Himmelberg, with an eye to the future.

We have enough core experienced players & not pushing for a flag, so the priority should be getting games into younger players to build depth, rather than bring in mid age average players.

Nick Robertson and Luke Partington would both interest me somewhat as plug and play options, at 24 and 22 both in the right age bracket. Robertson especially brings to the table something we really lack, hardness and a ferocious attack on the ball carrier. Partington IMO too good not to be on an AFL list and if nothing else great midfield depth to have in the wings.

Not a fan of getting mid age DFA because they only offer depth when we should be getting games into Butts & Himmelberg, with an eye to the future.

We have enough core experienced players & not pushing for a flag, so the priority should be getting games into younger players to build depth, rather than bring in mid age average players.
I appreciate this perspective. On one hand Walker is an upgrade on Harto, but bring him in Harto becomes the back up and Butts moves further back.

It makes us a better team, but if we're really looking at the future then maybe not. I'd still prefer we brought in Walker and delisted or traded Harto next year.

Butts replaces Walker, and Walker becomes back up.

Oh and on Partington I wouldn't have an issue with us giving him a lifeline. He is the right age bracket and is worth a shot as a dfa.

To be fair Buzza was drafted 1 year later than Frampton, and has played 6 more games and was free.

Not sure why everyone is laughing given we actually handed over a draft pick for our spud.
Well not really. We got that pick for Jacobs which we wouldn’t have got if gws didn’t choose to trade with us for him. Remember Jacobs was a free agent and his compo would have been 0 at his age, length of contract and presumed $$ of contract.
Free agency compo stops at 3rd round they don’t give out 4th round compo.

Well not really. We got that pick for Jacobs which we wouldn’t have got if gws didn’t choose to trade with us for him. Remember Jacobs was a free agent and his compo would have been 0 at his age, length of contract and presumed $$ of contract.
Free agency compo stops at 3rd round they don’t give out 4th round compo.
Sure - but regardless of how we got it, it’s still a pick that was in our possession that we elected to use on Frampton. Hence there was a cost to the trade. It wasn’t a DFA signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Partington better than Patrick Wilson?
Way, way more agile and significantly quicker than Wilson to my eye. Wilson I really would like to see tried as a running back where he would in most cases be running straight at the ball and a position he can use his big weapon [penetrating kick] much more to the team's advantage. One of the few really penetrating kicks we have that can break up the oppo zone.

Way, way more agile and significantly quicker than Wilson to my eye. Wilson I really would like to see tried as a running back where he would in most cases be running straight at the ball and a position he can use his big weapon [penetrating kick] much more to the team's advantage. One of the few really penetrating kicks we have that can break up the oppo zone.
Trouble is we already have penetrating kicks in the team in Smith and Seedsman who are better kicks, quicker and experienced.

Trouble is we already have penetrating kicks in the team in Smith and Seedsman who are better kicks, quicker and experienced.
Not sure if I want Partington or not, but the more penetrating kicks you have the better. Ideally everyone in the team should have a penetrating kick rather than a non-penetrating one.

Wouldn't be too sure about that now Patrick has tidied up his short passing this season, equally penetrating kick and his stats for a midfielder who's kick to handball ratio stands at 2 : 1 are pretty bloody impressive going at 80% disposal efficiency.

Would give him a go too.

Seen him out in Freo a few times.
Absolutely woeful on the piss.
Trying to fight people and couldn't walk.

Saying that, it's in his court.
Hopefully he gets his s**t together and his body holds up.

Reckon he has some good footy left.

Were the sightings recent, I had the feeling he’d gotten his s**t together.

Would give him a go too.

Seen him out in Freo a few times.
Absolutely woeful on the piss.
Trying to fight people and couldn't walk.

Saying that, it's in his court.
Hopefully he gets his s**t together and his body holds up.

Reckon he has some good footy left.
One major problem may be fixable, but 2 problems are harder

Hearing glowing reports about just about every DFA left, but the ones already picked up (Sam Gray, Buzza, Brand, Newnes) don't inspire me at all.
Are the ones still left even worse than these 4?

Hearing glowing reports about just about every DFA left, but the ones already picked up (Sam Gray, Buzza, Brand, Newnes) don't inspire me at all.
Are the ones still left even worse than these 4?
All by the looks to me were picked by the teams that selected them to fill particular roles, Newnes would have been the only one that interested me.

Having watched both players myself, can safely say Frampton’s the better player than Buzza. Unsure why Wylie got another AFL gig, honestly
His hairstyle hyped him up not his football ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back